U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 08:47 AM

3,772 posts, read 9,358,212 times

Advertisements

Give some examples of parables in the Bible and what were there meanings.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 08:48 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,914,691 times
parable of the lost coins, the lost sheep and the prodigal son.

Meaning: God loves us and will search for us in order to keep us from being lost.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:13 AM

51,054 posts, read 29,137,166 times
Jesus spoke in parables to help illustrate his message in ways that can relate to everyone.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:15 AM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
I think one reason He spoke in parables was so we would study His word more to understand the meaning, to make us think. One of my favorite ones is in Luke 15:11-31, the lost son who returns home, what a beautiful illustration of a son with a will of his own then coming to his senses returns home to greeted by his father with love and compassion. Most of us can relate to this story, I know I can because there was a time that I left God for a while and returned back to Him. God's love is constant, patient and welcoming. Like the father in this story He patiently waits for us to come to our senses.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:17 AM

15,080 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Why Did Jesus Speak In Parables?
Because stories have a way of conveying truth to many different kinds of people than mere legal dogma. Dogma can often be true. But only stories are Truth.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM

5 posts, read 26,191 times
Default The hidden word

Why God spoke in parables
Math13: 2And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore. This would be a great time for Jesus to get some followers. 3And he spake many things unto them in parables…
He was telling them things no one understood. 10And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. This is the reason: 13Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 14And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.(They all have the Word)

Old 10-04-2007, 07:28 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,926,371 times
A parable is a brief, succinct story, in prose or verse, that illustrates a moral or religious lesson

Everyone loves a story! Stories are fun yet informative.

You tell a story people are receptive. They listen, they absorb, they retell.

You preach and people shut down.

The story of the Prodigal son is known by christians and non christians. it has been repeated and rewritten many, many times.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigal_Son

One of the points of the parable is Unconditional Forgiveness. I don't claim to be a scholar nor all that religious so I will leave it to you to find the other meanings.

Years of catholic schools strikes again!

Last edited by GoddessofRandomThoughts; 10-04-2007 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: I am a goddess. I don't need a reason.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:11 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,936,438 times
We know that the Council of Nicea included and excluded information from the bible.

There are differing interpretations of the biblical verses.
Matthew 13:13
Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.
. . . it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.

I was taught that Christ was crucified because the powers that be thought that he was threatening their control of the people. But the bible itself said he spoke in parables sometimes to further confuse. Does it ever occur that perhaps he did intend to start a movement of the people to grasp power from the politicians of his day?

A parable can illustrate a point, but it can also have two meanings, and serve to give information to those 'in the know', but say nothing in a direct enough fashion to get one arrested, so it is meant to be ambiguous and to confound the general listener.

This is just speculation, but in my experience there are two sides to every story and often the truth is somewhere in between.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:35 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
I'd rather listen to a person who tells me stories (with or without hidden meanings), than someone who gives whole sermons where every sentence begins with Thou shalt not.......
At least stories also entertain, while regurgitating a set of laws is only beneficial for insomniacs.
In my opinion stories are still the best way for passing down information to the next generation.

Originally Posted by goldengrain
Quote:
I was taught that Christ was crucified because the powers that be thought that he was threatening their control of the people. But the bible itself said he spoke in parables sometimes to further confuse. Does it ever occur that perhaps he did intend to start a movement of the people to grasp power from the politicians of his day?

A parable can illustrate a point, but it can also have two meanings, and serve to give information to those 'in the know', but say nothing in a direct enough fashion to get one arrested, so it is meant to be ambiguous and to confound the general listener.

This is just speculation, but in my experience there are two sides to every story and often the truth is somewhere in between.
Nursery rhymes, like fairy tales and parabels, weren’t created for children. Their intent was never to soothe little babies or teach finger games or language.
They were warnings.
Warnings sang by old men too scared to openly criticize the kings and queens of their world. Warnings to the children….in the hope that they would listen.
For centuries children have been entertained by the warnings of scared old men.

Quote:
Humpty Dumpty was a powerful cannon during the English Civil War (1642-49). It was mounted on top of the St. Mary's at the Wall Church in Colchester defending the city against siege in the summer of 1648. (Although Colchester was a Parliamentarian stronghold, it was captured by the Royalists who held it for 11 weeks.) The church tower was hit by the enemy and the top of the tower was blown off, sending "Humpty" tumbling to the ground. Naturally the King's men tried to mend him but in vain. The "men" would have been infantry, and "horses" the cavalry troops.
Humpty Dumpty story and picture
Quote:
The origins of the lyrics to Georgie Porgie are English and refer to the courtier George Villiers, 1st duke of Duke of Buckingham (1592–1628).
Georgie Porgie rhyme

Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 AM

1,313 posts, read 2,726,795 times
The people living at the time Christ walked the earth were mostly farmers, sheepherders, and ranchers so He spoke to them through stories that they could relate to. If you notice, a lot of references to things of the earth are used as illustrations to get His point across to them because that was what they understood. It's a good method for us to use when speaking to others about the Gospel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity