Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 05:31 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,112,951 times

Advertisements

My son has played baseball for a little league that has a priest bless all players before the league starts for the year. The kids also say a pledge before each game that has a part that includes God. This irritates me to no end. Why is it necessary to bring religion of any kind into kid's sports? What if I want a prayer to Vishnu to be included? But we're a "christian nation" so that wont be happening.

Don't even get me started on Boy Scouts! My son loves the Scouts but religion is stuffed down his throat at every turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:44 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,412,263 times
Is there some harm derived from this?I'm not catholic but it wouldn't bother me if a priest blessed my kid...for that matter if the hindus,buddists,baptists,muslims,catholics,and hare krishnas all want to form a blessing line and chant,throw holy water,pray,throw flowers or do whatever they feel will help them as the team passes by it wouldn't bother me a bit.

What kind of boyscout troop does he attend where 'religion is stuffed down his throat'?I was in a troop as a kid and don't recall any real emphasis on religion.My kids are in a troop sponsered by the lds church and even there generally the closing prayer at the end of the meeting is the only religious aspect to the meetings.

Some people are so overly sensitive about religion that I imagine they would cuss out someone who said "God bless you" when they sneezed

Old 10-17-2010, 06:21 AM

9,663 posts, read 9,925,106 times
quote: This irritates me to no end ..... Is that the blaspheme spirit against God that irritates you.......Hey the boy scotts is a Christian oganization If they bless the kids with the prayer to Jesus, then what the big deal .....

Old 10-17-2010, 10:11 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,023,068 times
Boy scouts is not a Christian organization and there are scout troops out there that are active that don't promote religion. In my area there are interfaith troops, Muslim troops, catholic troops, Jewish troops and simply non religious period. The troop my son is in does not promote religion at all. They do have a winter party.

The promise has G-d mentioned, it is not Jesus but G-d and is non denominational and as far I am concerned covers those who are Jewish and Muslim because it is just G-d.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:20 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,647,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
quote: This irritates me to no end ..... Is that the blaspheme spirit against God that irritates you.......Hey the boy scotts is a Christian oganization If they bless the kids with the prayer to Jesus, then what the big deal .....
The Boy Scouts can do this because they're a private organization. However, as I've already said in this same thread on the A&A forum, the little league may be infringing on this boy's rights by bringing in a priest and having prayers/blessings said. If they are accepting public funding, then they may legally be in the wrong.

I encourage the father of this boy to go to the league organization and have a rational talk with them about it. And to the person I'm quoting above, yes it is irritating. Would you want an imam to lead prayers at your child's ball group? Would you want a druid or a wiccan to come and perform a religious ceremony over your children?

The religious boys can say a prayer themselves before a game if they wish, but religion should not be a structured part of little league. Plenty of time for that at home or at church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity