Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:35 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times

Advertisements

The most important aspect of this question goes to the concept of being "Unequally yoked" A Christian should at all costs avoid taking oaths that in some way "binds" them to a nonbeliever. The reasons for this are obvious. These oaths WILL put you in conflict at some point with your Christian beliefs. It's just not a position a wise person puts themselves into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Even if I was making the grades, I would never join a fraternity. I don't need to be a group to feel love and acceptance like most of them. I accept myself and am happy as an individual that can think for himself and be completely independent in life. I am honestly at a loss as to why anyone would be interested in the sorority/fraternity lifestyle. It's such a hierarchy and full of so many ridiculous obligations and red tape. Not to mention fees. When my sister (who wants to join a sorority and is in the process) told me about the fees and finances associated with becoming a member, I thought it was complete BS and insanity. How on Earth do you have to pay large sums of money every year for the rest of your life just to be in a glorified club?! With no benefits besides meeting up with other members in various locations across the country. Child, I tell ya. People will make money off anything!
I agree completely. I notice a lot of the people I was around did it for acceptance that they would not otherwise get. To me, I think the OP makes some great points, but I would also add, that the fruit of the organization make things very evident what they believe. If I see an organization's claim to be a Christian organization, but they go out to clubs, have sexual relationships with random people whom they barely know, etc. that is a sign that I need to leave this alone. I have heard stories of people who have been made to do some things that would make you question one's manhood/womanhood and overall, it appears at times that the goal is to make the organization an idol of sorts. You are made to go to meetings late at night when you should be studying, you have to give up resources (money in particular) and you are told what to do and have to abide by it in order to be accepted. Definitely doesn't seem like something that reinforces Christian beliefs but people believe that.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:18 PM

119 posts, read 219,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I just don't understand what the deal is with sororities or fraternities and why you are telling people that they aren't good Christians if they join them. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. I was never in one - but my husband was. He went to a Southern Baptist college - so most of the people there were Christians and most of the people were in a sorority or fraternity. I don't think this makes them bad Christians. It was really important to some of them - a big part of their lives where they forged lasting friendships. I'm not going to judge them and say they were bad Christians or bad people for joining. That just seems kind of silly to me.

So I am assuming they did not partake in fornication and always having women over at the highest quality? This is one thing the fraternity, especially greek, excels in. They know something no one else knows and help their fellow man have an advantage with the opposite sex over others, and I think the Bible would frown upon this as it's considered worldly. Also, having a advantage in employment seems wrong to me because God is for the poor.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 PM

119 posts, read 219,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I agree completely. I notice a lot of the people I was around did it for acceptance that they would not otherwise get. To me, I think the OP makes some great points, but I would also add, that the fruit of the organization make things very evident what they believe. If I see an organization's claim to be a Christian organization, but they go out to clubs, have sexual relationships with random people whom they barely know, etc. that is a sign that I need to leave this alone. I have heard stories of people who have been made to do some things that would make you question one's manhood/womanhood and overall, it appears at times that the goal is to make the organization an idol of sorts. You are made to go to meetings late at night when you should be studying, you have to give up resources (money in particular) and you are told what to do and have to abide by it in order to be accepted. Definitely doesn't seem like something that reinforces Christian beliefs but people believe that.

They say a brain does not fully develop until 21. A lot of younger Christians do not seem to grasp things because their Church parents particularly raised them spoiled. That's one of the biggest problems in the Church world today. They always come around though, which seems to be a unfair advantage.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The most important aspect of this question goes to the concept of being "Unequally yoked" A Christian should at all costs avoid taking oaths that in some way "binds" them to a nonbeliever. The reasons for this are obvious. These oaths WILL put you in conflict at some point with your Christian beliefs. It's just not a position a wise person puts themselves into.
How many "christians" pledge an allegiance to the flag and/or Amerikkka?

Even our money pledges allegiance to a god.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:41 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,373,044 times
During the first couple centuries of Christianity, when they were prosecuted it was for refusing to pledge allegiance to the Roman Empire.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:05 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times
I went to a Big Ten university in the late 70's and I didn't pledge. It wasn't because I was a Christian at the time, it was because I heard too much about them from others like my roommate who was told who was acceptable to date or not, under penalty of being kicked out. The only reason I would have considered joining ANYTHING, was if they did some good for someone else.

I was far too independent minded to let anyone dictate to me who I should date..... or not.

If I had been a Christian then, all their other activities and lifestyle choices would have made it an impossibility. Christian kids have enough tests and trials of their faith without going looking for more, IMO. Peace

Old 07-12-2016, 03:37 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,373,044 times
I did not join any college frat when I was in college. Looking back I doubt it would have helped.

I joined a fraternity years later. I have been fairly active throughout Europe and everywhere we have lived stateside. My involvement in fraternity has been of much benefit to me as an adult. I am glad that I decided to join.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,849 times
Default Please Read it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I see where this is going. I am not here to debate what I think what you think or what my standards are. I quoted Scriptures for you to read for yourself in regard to taking oaths, and whether or not ALL oaths that we take are scripturally sound. I can just give you the word of God and let you decide for yourself, how is that?
I think you need to read what you just quoted and fully understand what you are saying. Did you honestly pray before you posted this???
The point of this passage is integrity. Jesus observes that since God witnesses every word we say anyway, we should be able to tell the truth without having to call God to witness by a formal oath. Jesus is addressing a popular abuse of oaths in his day. To protect the sanctity of the divine name against inadvertent oath-breaking, common Jewish practice introduced surrogate objects by which to swear. Some people apparently thought it harmless to deceive if they swore oaths by something like their right hand . The further removed the oath was from the actual name of God, the less danger they faced for violating it . Jewish teachers had to arbitrate which oaths were actually binding as allusions to God's name. Jesus teaches that all oaths invoke God's witness equally. Just as heaven, earth (Is 66:1-2) and Jerusalem (Ps 48:2; Mt 4:5; 27:53) belong to God (Mt 5:34-35), so do the hairs on our heads (5:36); although we can dye our hair, we have no genuine control over its aging (compare 6:27). All oaths implicitly call God to witness, because everything that exists was made by him. For Jesus, no aspect of life except sin is purely secular.

Avoiding oaths is thus inadequate; the issue is telling the truth, because God witnesses every word we speak. Although many passages in the Bible allow some degree of deception to preserve life (Keener 1991a:22), such exceptions are rare in our daily lives. When we lie to cover our own wrong motives from those we think would disdain us, we forget that one day God will expose all the secrets of our hearts anyway (Mt 10:26). When we lightly commit ourselves to meet people at particular times and then unnecessarily delay them (as if their time were a commodity less precious than our own), we treat them unjustly and deceitfully, even if in a relatively minor way. How much more when we make promises in business deals or make still more lasting vows (such as the marriage covenant-5:31-32).

This verse has nothing to do with greek life....

Old 01-09-2017, 11:19 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,358 times
Default Interesting Food For Thought

In court you can affirm and not swear so I suppose the same rule applies with these groups.

Otherwise we know what to do as a Christian.

If going to alcohol parties is needed to be a member we know what to do with 1 Peter 4:1-4.

Otherwise nothing I know of that keeps you from being a real Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Many professing Christians are involved in a fraternity or sorority. Should you, as a Christian, be involved in such organizations? You have probably asked yourself this question before you pledged if you are in a fraternity or sorority already. So let's see what the bible says about this, and you judge for yourself.

Before I continue, the secret orders would disagree with me and would argue that they aren't doing anything satanic or demonic. It's an organization that supports brotherhood and sisterhood and for helping with gaining employment etc. They believe that you don’t need all the facts before making a decision on whether or not to join their fraternities or sororities. I know this because you don’t get all the facts until AFTER you become a member of these organizations. This is why these organizations are sometimes referred to as ‘secret societies.’ So for those of you who already have joined, it is too late to decide whether or not you want to join an organization AFTER you have already become a member.

But the first point that I would like to make here concerns the swearing of oaths. This is a practice required by all these fraternities and sororities as a pre-requisite prior to initiation. Let see what the Scriptures teach on swearing an oath.

But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. Matthew 5:34-37 KJV

But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.
James 5:12 KJV

From reading the Word of God in the above two verses, it can be plainly understood that Christians are not to swear oaths at all. Their communication is to be ‘yes’ or ‘no’ and not more than this. Swearing an oath is to go further than your ‘yes’ or ‘no’ and bind yourself by something you deem greater. This is clearly forbidden by the above texts. Now to go to the extreme and swear upon God’s Name or by God at all demonstrates either willful disobedience of these texts or ignorance concerning the meaning of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity