U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 AM

58,713 posts, read 32,170,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Jesus death and resurrection set us free from the fear of death because death has been defeated.
Indeed. It is sad to see people live their life worrying about death. Many reject Christ and worry about death because they simply do not know what will happen after death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 AM

5,441 posts, read 4,693,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What do you believe is the power of death that the devil had power over ?
Satan was given the power of death over mankind because Adam and Eve willfully sinned. God said that they would die if they partook of the forbidden fruit. Afterward, every person born into the world was no longer born in God's image, which is holiness and righteousness. That's why every person must be born again, made into new creatures in God's image. If people refuse to be cleansed at the old rugged Cross, then they will remain in bondage to the devil and die as children of the devil -- sinners.

Jesus, the Son of God, took on the flesh and defeated satan on his own territory. Therefore, through Jesus, who now has victory over death, offers eternal life to those who put away disobedience toward God; they live holy, righteous and clean in His presence; they are the sons and daughters of God.

1 Peter 2
[21] For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
[22] Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
[23] Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
[24] Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
[25] For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM

30,373 posts, read 20,100,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Satan was given the power of death over mankind because Adam and Eve willfully sinned. God said that they would die if they partook of the forbidden fruit. Afterward, every person born into the world was no longer born in God's image, which is holiness and righteousness. That's why every person must be born again, made into new creatures in God's image. If people refuse to be cleansed at the old rugged Cross, then they will remain in bondage to the devil and die as children of the devil -- sinners.

Jesus, the Son of God, took on the flesh and defeated satan on his own territory. Therefore, through Jesus, who now has victory over death, offers eternal life to those who put away disobedience toward God; they live holy, righteous and clean in His presence; they are the sons and daughters of God.

1 Peter 2
[21] For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
[22] Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
[23] Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
[24] Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
[25] For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.
Thanks scgraham.

My question was "What was the power of death that the devil had power over ?", and not how he obtained it.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 PM

313 posts, read 739,302 times
Satan has had the ability at times through out man's history to cause untimely death...

(Job 1:19) And, look! there came a great wind from the region of the wilderness, and it went striking the four corners of the house, so that it fell upon the young people and they died. And I got to escape, only I by myself, to tell you.”
(Job 2:6) Accordingly Jehovah said to Satan: “There he is in your hand! Only watch out for his soul itself!”
(Revelation 6:9) And when he opened the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those slaughtered because of the word of God and because of the witness work that they used to have.

He also introduced death to mankind, as was brought out in an earlier post.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Without Jesus there is no hope for anyone who dies and that is pretty fearful. But Jesus sets us free from this fear.
ILNC i am trying to be on my best behavior on this thread , you still haven't answered what is the power of death that the devil had power over ?

Last edited by pcamps; 11-02-2010 at 02:48 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 02:47 PM

How about the power of death over a man is the fear that once he died he was done , due to the the devil keeping us captive in our condemned conscience through his accusations and his condemnation too.We also know he's a liar from the beginning and will lie about what death is too as well as life .

Please feel free to rip this post to shreds

Old 11-02-2010, 02:50 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,130,904 times
Quote:
Thanks ILNC.

What was the power of death that the devil had, and how did he use it on us to keep us in fear ?.
What was is it about death we feared ?
I'm not sure what you're seeing in this verse, pcamps, but I'm curious!!

At any rate, both the Law and condemnation (the result of the Law) bring fear to man's heart, imo. Fear of judgment. Until man knows Christ within, he sees God as wrathful.

Curious to see where this thread goes...!

Blessings!
Brian

Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 PM

Hi Brian maybe my last post will explain what i mean . I'm off out to dinner .

Old 11-02-2010, 05:01 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,222,191 times
Quote:
How about the power of death over a man is the fear that once he died he was done , due to the the devil keeping us captive in our condemned conscience through his accusations and his condemnation too.We also know he's a liar from the beginning and will lie about what death is too as well as life .

Please feel free to rip this post to shreds
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I'm not sure what you're seeing in this verse, pcamps, but I'm curious!!

At any rate, both the Law and condemnation (the result of the Law) bring fear to man's heart, imo. Fear of judgment. Until man knows Christ within, he sees God as wrathful.

Curious to see where this thread goes...!

Blessings!
Brian

Quote:
Hi Brian maybe my last post will explain what i mean . I'm off out to dinner .

I believe, if i understand him correctly, that Pcamps is basically saying that power of death is fear. And that fear is the power that Satan holds over humanity, in order to control the world system.

If you think about it, that has always been the power of religion, death and the mystery thereof.

It is the fear of death that causes people to compete for survival on a basic animal instinctual level ... That is the carnal nature.

It is the reason for conflict and opposition on every level, and it stands in contrast to the spiritual nature which is preservation of the whole instead of competing for the survival of the self.

The spiritual nature is one of hope and faith, while the carnal nature is one of fear and doubt.

The governments and religions of the world have always used the carnal fear of humanity to control them and dominate their lives through condemnation and the propagation of dependencies on the social systems.

Add in sectarianism and its divide and conquer ...

Old 11-02-2010, 05:27 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,384,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I believe, if i understand him correctly, that Pcamps is basically saying that power of death is fear. And that fear is the power that Satan holds over humanity, in order to control the world system(KOSMOS).

If you think about it, that has always been the power of religion(KOSMOS), death and the mystery thereof.

It is the fear of death that causes people to compete for survival on a basic animal instinctual level ... That is the carnal nature.

It is the reason for conflict and opposition on every level, and it stands in contrast to the spiritual nature which is preservation of the whole instead of competing for the survival of the self.

The spiritual nature is one of hope and faith, while the carnal nature is one of fear and doubt.

The governments and religions of the world(KOSMOS) have always used the carnal fear of humanity to control them and dominate their lives through condemnation and the propagation of dependencies on the social systems(KOSMOS).

Add in sectarianism and its divide and conquer ...
It is amazing that you can see this, but refuse to see Kosmos in it. Here, I will highlight where you have used it. But it does change a few of your long held beliefs, doesn't it? That is, if you admit it. But other passages will suddenly explode in your head, like the beasts of Revelation, and both of them in the time of Jesus. "My Kingdom is not of THIS world(KOSMOS)". Did this mean His Kingdom was somewhere else? No! It is WITHIN! His LAW written on your heart. His will be done. We are subjected,,,and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or