U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:59 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,235,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Pro 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those loving it eat its fruit.

Many just don't get what that verse means. Even Jesus said that His Words ARE LIFE. Until you can understand how Words ARE Life, much of what you learn about God will be full of error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
This merits a new thread..

Blessings!
Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Would you care to explain that verse Trettep? I mean, in layman's terms. I think that is an important verse to understand. How are death and life in the power of the "tongue"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I believe it does!! That's a good one.

I believe it has to do with the fact that we speak from the abundance of the heart.

If we speak hate, condemnation, torment and death for the world, that is what we truly love and believe to be good.

If we speak love, forgiveness, correction and life for the world, that is what we truly love and believe to be Good.

The words we speak from our hearts are like seeds, and they go into the world and manifest in the live of others and in our own lives, bearing either good fruit of evil fruit. And those are the fruits we sustain ourselves with here in this world.

Some are sustained by their pride and hate and anger and greed and condemnation and blame etc. ...

Some are sustained by their humility and love, and joy, and generosity, and mercy, and forgiveness etc. ...

One is a vessel of honor, one of dishonor. One is a vessel of mercy, one of wrath.

And this is not only manifest in the lives of Jews and Christians, but in the lives of all people of every culture, as it is not necessarily only a theological moral issue, but it is also a human sociological ethical issue ...

Peace ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM

37,791 posts, read 25,486,178 times
Quote:
Pro 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those loving it eat its fruit.

Many just don't get what that verse means. Even Jesus said that His Words ARE LIFE. Until you can understand how Words ARE Life, much of what you learn about God will be full of error.
Eternal life is life as consciousness. Words exist only within consciousness. A word is an abstract phenomenon of consciousness and exists only where consciousness exists. A word is a series of symbols grouped together, which when taken as a whole, creates in a being with consciousness an abstract realization or "knowingness" that we recognize as the condition of having meaning. When our cerebral cortex (brain) produces this abstract "knowingness" condition, it is producing consciousness. In producing consciousness . . . it is producing an eternal form of energy that is our soul.

Our soul is an accumulation of all the thoughts/feelings we have had in our consciousness over our lifetime. It is part of the total human consciousness in existence. But God is consciousness. That suggests that our consciousness is potentially a cellular component of the consciousness of God. In other words, each one of us potentially represents one cell of God's consciousness . . . designed to serve in the same role that each cell of our own body serves to reproduce us. As Paul said in I Corinthians 3:9-11

9For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. 10According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
11For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Our thoughts as Words . . . comprise the form and character of our eternal life. The more resonant with Jesus' the Word of God . . . the better.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:18 PM

58,851 posts, read 32,300,099 times
Quote:

Both Death and Life are in power of the tongue, means you can use your tongue for both good and bad. You can use it to spread the truth of the Gospel, or you can use it to spread a false teachig, or you can misuse your tongue to lie, falsely accuse, mock, boast, critisize, slander, play people against each other, backbite, curse etc...

Whichever way you choose to use your tongue, you will reap what you sow.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:50 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,605,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How about the power of death over a man is the fear that once he died he was done , due to the the devil keeping us captive in our condemned conscience through his accusations and his condemnation too.We also know he's a liar from the beginning and will lie about what death is too as well as life .

Please feel free to rip this post to shreds
I must have been busy, busy, busy when this thread happened. I think it is a great thread and also a great point that the power of death comes through the fear of it and the fear of it comes by believing a lie about death. I can't think of a more powerful way to have control over a person than to lie to them about death and to make them terrified of death due to lack of knowledge about it.

Since all of these sons and daughters have flesh and blood, Jesus took on flesh and blood to be like them. He did this so that by dying he would destroy the one who had power over death (that is, the devil). In this way he would free those who were slaves all their lives because they were afraid of dying. - Hebrews 2:14-15

While I have overcome my fear of death (at least my fear of being dead), I still struggle with a fear of physical suffering. Do you know how I can be set free from that fear, or is that impossible for the natural earthly part of me to overcome? I say this with all sincerity - when I think about all the people who are tortured to death and all the violence that people suffer - it just creeps me out. However, that being said, I would endure physical suffering in order to save others from it, especially my children and people I personally love. Okay, I'm going to finish reading the rest of this thread now.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,080,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I must have been busy, busy, busy when this thread happened. I think it is a great thread and also a great point that the power of death comes through the fear of it and the fear of it comes by believing a lie about death. I can't think of a more powerful way to have control over a person than to lie to them about death and to make them terrified of death due to lack of knowledge about it.

Since all of these sons and daughters have flesh and blood, Jesus took on flesh and blood to be like them. He did this so that by dying he would destroy the one who had power over death (that is, the devil). In this way he would free those who were slaves all their lives because they were afraid of dying. - Hebrews 2:14-15

While I have overcome my fear of death (at least my fear of being dead), I still struggle with a fear of physical suffering. Do you know how I can be set free from that fear, or is that impossible for the natural earthly part of me to overcome? I say this with all sincerity - when I think about all the people who are tortured to death and all the violence that people suffer - it just creeps me out. However, that being said, I would endure physical suffering in order to save others from it, especially my children and people I personally love. Okay, I'm going to finish reading the rest of this thread now.

I do know what you are saying, Heartsong. For many years I too had overcome the fear that death no longer had a hold of me.... yet, it was the possible fear of suffering that one may have to experience in that process of dying.

The Lord knowing this in my heart permitted a situation to happen to help me to over come that fear of suffering....

To make a long story short... a friend and I were on our way home and we were trying to beat the heavy snow storm that was happening. Well we got to a certain place on the road the summit about 8000 feet high that the snow plows had not gone through yet. During this time as she was driving I being on the passengers side could see a deer coming down off the mountain right in front of us out of the corner of my right eye. All this happening so fast..... but anyway it was totally amazing what did happen.

It was like that deer leap one leap in front of us which all logic she should of hit him. My friend slammed on her breaks which of course should of also put us into a spin and right off the cliff. But her car came to a sudden stop and here we were sitting in the road, mind you staying on our side of the road totally stopped, no skidding or anything and with all the snow on the road fresh and packed icey snow underneath plus the speed she was driving it was a miracle as too what did happen.

While all this was happening her slamming on the breaks and so forth, I put my hand on her leg and said everything is going to be alright God is here with us. All I knew God gave me this sense that we were in this bubble and there was such a peace I can not put it into words but I knew in my heart whatever did happen death or life I knew God had a hold of our lives.

After the incident we were sitting there in the road she looked at me white as a ghost and said, what on earth was that? I told her it was the Lord and if that is what heaven is all about I want it all..... during all this I didn't care if I died or not the peace and sense of comfort, not being afraid God was giving me facing death I didn't care, sincerely, whatever the out come would of been I wanted to stay in that bubble with Him.....

I pray that God will give to you the blessing of knowing even the suffering in the process of death, He can take the sting of fear, pain, whatever and give you that bubble I was in that day, knowing now in my heart from that day that in the presence of God there is no such thing as fear, pain or whatever, He truly took the sting of death and all its fear away for His children and I do understand that when Stephen stood that day being killed with those stone thrown at him that God also gave Stephen the same bubble that He gave to me that day on that icy road.....

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 01-31-2011 at 05:07 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,605,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
I do know what you are saying, Heartsong. For many years I too had overcome the fear that death no longer had a hold of me.... yet, it was the possible fear of suffering that one may have to experience in that process of dying.

The Lord knowing this in my heart permitted a situation to happen to help me to over come that fear of suffering....

To make a long story short... a friend and I were on our way home and we were trying to beat the heavy snow storm that was happening. Well we got to a certain place on the road the summit about 8000 feet high that the snow plows had not gone through yet. During this time as she was driving I being on the passengers side could see a deer coming down off the mountain right in front of us out of the corner of my right eye. All this happening so fast..... but anyway it was totally amazing what did happen.

It was like that deer leap one leap in front of us which all logic she should of hit him. My friend slammed on her breaks which of course should of also put us into a spin and right off the cliff. But her car came to a sudden stop and here we were sitting in the road, mind you staying on our side of the road totally stopped, no skidding or anything and with all the snow on the road fresh and packed icey snow underneath plus the speed she was driving it was a miracle as too what did happen.

While all this was happening her slamming on the breaks and so forth, I put my hand on her leg and said everything is going to be alright God is here with us. All I knew God gave me this sense that we were in this bubble and there was such a peace I can not put it into words but I knew in my heart whatever did happen death or life I knew God had a hold of our lives.

After the incident we were sitting there in the road she looked at me white as a ghost and said, what on earth was that? I told her it was the Lord and if that is what heaven is all about I want it all..... during all this I didn't care if I died or not the peace and sense of comfort, not being afraid God was giving me facing death I didn't care, sincerely, whatever the out come would of been I wanted to stay in that bubble with Him.....

I pray that God will give to you the blessing of knowing even the suffering in the process of death, He can take the sting of fear, pain, whatever and give you that bubble I was in that day, knowing now in my heart from that day that in the presence of God there is no such thing as fear, pain or whatever, He truly took the sting of death and all its fear away for His children and I do understand that when Stephen stood that day being killed with those stone thrown at him that God also gave Stephen the same bubble that He gave to me that day on that icy road.....
Thanks for sharing, Cyber Munchkin -
Yes, I'd like to think that if I should be unfortunate enough to be sawn in two with a hack saw or have some crazed killer pull my finger nails out with pliers, or have my tongue cut out (these things still happen on the earth today) that I will be completely at peace. That is the "type" of suffering I am afraid of. I did once feel nervous flying somewhere and got the peace of God that even if the plane crashed, it would be okay to die that way. My main fear is of violent people who might want to make me suffer. But yet, I know I should not worry about what "might or might not ever happen" to me.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:12 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,080,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Thanks for sharing, Cyber Munchkin -
Yes, I'd like to think that if I should be unfortunate enough to be sawn in two with a hack saw or have some crazed killer pull my finger nails out with pliers, or have my tongue cut out (these things still happen on the earth today) that I will be completely at peace. That is the "type" of suffering I am afraid of. I did once feel nervous flying somewhere and got the peace of God that even if the plane crashed, it would be okay to die that way. My main fear is of violent people who might want to make me suffer. But yet, I know I should not worry about what "might or might not ever happen" to me.
Yes, you are correct about our world !! And it could happen to one of us. And that is why I shared what the Lord gave me about Stephen, when we read he just stood there and to me it had to be that bubble surrounding him to endure such a violent and painful death just like you mention in the latter part of your post.

I do hope and pray those fears never, ever come to pass.... but that fear it can also be wisdom in how to take precautions in protecting yourself from such that could happen especially being a woman out and about these days!!

I always remember when ever the enemy does try to bring those awful thoughts to the mind..... that, For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, (II Cor.10:4-5)

God always brings back to my remembrance of that day, which is casting down the arguments and bringing it into captivity to the obedience of Christ !! Because God gave such a blessing to overcome that fear, that he will protect me no matter what !!
Blessings to you !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or