Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:26 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
People who still willfully sin are not saved by grace.

Past tense.

Willful sinners are not believing on the Son of God; because if they were, they would obey.
That's just not true. Plenty of people believe in Jesus, still sin. We are weak as Adam and Eve were weak. We are human and have been given free will. We try but we occasionally fall. So if we ocassionaly fall, we don't believe? I think that is a fundamental difference of thought and beliefs.

Or is your definition of "willfully" different from mine? If you are weak and can't resist, but consciously think about not doing what you are about to do, is that "willfully" or is it simply knowing it's wrong and doing it anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Or is your definition of "willfully" different from mine? If you are weak and can't resist, but consciously think about not doing what you are about to do, is that "willfully" or is it simply knowing it's wrong and doing it anyway?
If you know {operative word} something is a sin, and do it anyway, then you are willfully sinning. That's exactly what Adam and Eve did.

I realize that new converts may be fragile at first and may struggle. But, eventually, it's time to come off of the milk of the Word and go on to strong meat.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:57 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
If one acknowledges the Christ within himself and follows His ongoing work through the Holy Spirit there is no "struggle" with sin. He took that "struggle" from us on the cross..

Isaiah 53:5 He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
That's just not true. Plenty of people believe in Jesus, still sin. We are weak as Adam and Eve were weak. We are human and have been given free will. We try but we occasionally fall. So if we ocassionaly fall, we don't believe? I think that is a fundamental difference of thought and beliefs.

I understand 'willful' as habitual, intentional and without repentance.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
People who still willfully sin are not saved by grace.

Past tense.

Willful sinners are not believing on the Son of God; because if they were, they would obey.
There was only one perfect person born on this world, and He died for the rest of us. You're going to sin, I'm going to sin, simply accept it.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi_disciple View Post
Actually I did admit to lust. It has driven me most of my adult life. Lust is a powerful thing. It destroyed 4 of my marriages and almost destroyed the 5th.
Pardon me, Levi. I missed that. I commend you for your honesty. Maybe what I should have said was, "The paucity of Christians here fessing up to lust is unadulterated bull."

Old 11-06-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
77 or so responses and not one person admitted lust. Someone is not coming clean here.
I admit to sin--I just don't struggle with it.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
Anger - I had always thought that anger was not a sin that I struggle with until recently. I read The Madness of Anger by Edward T. Welch (it's a great article, btw), and there are forms of anger that I never knew. I think I can finally admit that I am an angry person even when I don't show them publicly. My desire for revenge (I've always thought that this had something to do with grudge and bitterness), fantasies of another's misery, and cursing. I think one thing that struck out to me the most is when he basically said, "Hate equals murder. Satan is a murderer. Therefore, Hate+muder=alignment with Satan."

I have some other sins too but I'm kind of lazy right now. xD

Old 11-06-2010, 10:15 PM

28,092 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
If you know {operative word} something is a sin, and do it anyway, then you are willfully sinning. That's exactly what Adam and Eve did.
How did Adam and Eve know that they were sinning? They hadn't eaten the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. It wasn't until after they did that they had knowledge. It would have been impossible for them to know something they had no knowledge of. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 PM

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

While we're all suffering from the effects of being in the flesh, we're going to commit sins. It is in our nature.

Just as if we were scorpions, we would sting. It's in our nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity