Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times

Advertisements

I think Fundamental christianity would be more respected if it was more honest about the message and called it the good news and bad news gospel, because bad news is not good news in my book.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
John 3:16 is the good news. All of us ( you included should be able to agree to that)

John 3:36 is good new for those who believe. That should be the focus of believers, not accuse God for not being fair. We as a believer should thank God for his grace, for it is not because of anything we merited.

Yet, like Noah, the OT prophets, NT Apostles and NT disciples are expected to do confront the sinner (which still lives within me). A sinner can never be left to feel comfortable of their sinful condition.

For the unbeliever, John 3:36 is not good news. Being sent to hell is not good news, never has. But the purposeto present it as bad news isn't to lord it over them. Rather it's purpose is to show that John 3:36 can be good news. That is our urgency to proclaim to as many people as possible. Any other message isn't placing the urgency of the time for salvation is limited.
See here you are again saying good news contains bad news. That is a contradiction in terms. You are saying the good news is bad news for a bunch of people. It probably won't bring great joy to all men. But what does scripture say?

Luke 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

Question: Do you think we are supposed to keep God's commands to love while we are in heaven? Love God, love our neighbor, even love our enemy?

So while your loved ones and friends are burning in eternal torment and you are in heavenly bliss, will you act out of love for them? Will you act to protect them, forgive them, be kind to them? And will you do this unfailingly? That is what love does. But you have already said it wouldn't bother you if your family members are in hell and you are not (I find this hard to believe).

twin, listen to what you are saying. You are contradicting Jesus own words: LOVE YOUR ENEMY.

This should be the final proof of the non-existence of hell. If all the people in heaven are truly righteous and truly following God's commands, then they would all practice LOVE: Love God, Love your neighbor, and Love your enemy. That means being kind, compassionate, protecting, and forgiving all those in hell. That would mean being selfless. In fact, if all people in heaven were really following God's commands, all people in heaven would lay their life down in order to try to help the people who were suffering eternally. And they would keep on persevering and their love would not fail, because love cannot fail. Thus hell would be broken and its inhabitants would be forgiven. Love would triumph.

This is a bit different picture than you present when you say it "would not bother you" that your wife or child is burning in torment forever.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

QUESTION authority.
Jesus had the biggest issue with the religious of His day...NOT the people struggling to find truth. Ask yourself why. History repeats itself. Listen to the whispers in your heart. Not the loud shouts from the pulpit.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I think Fundamental christianity would be more respected if it was more honest about the message and called it the good news and bad news gospel, because bad news is not good news in my book.
Yes, humans have sullied the term good news.

Kind of like, "Hey honey I've got good news, the mortgage is paid off!"
"Really how did that happen?"
"Umm, well, the house burned down..."

The good news of the gospel is pure - great joy for all men. There is a savior of this world - He takes away all sin and makes all righteous. He will heal all and make all alive. That is good news. No bad news at all.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Yes the fruit of UR is made up of all these: anger, accusatory (it's not fair), offers false hope to to those who continue to deny Jesus as their personal subsitute Savior ** (see note below), removes Jesus' authority to be the Judge over evil and those who follow Satan that God gave him.
These are your own accusations.

Quote:
Christian definition of Savior:

** Savior:
(A) Jesus only.. no cooperation on humans part or based on being required part of a organization;
(B) personal subsitute for their sin;
(C) apart from works and obeying the law;
(D) by grace through faith
Agree. Salvation is only through Jesus and is a complete work of God - no cooperation on humans part or being part of an organization necessary.

But do you really believe that twin? How about Finn and the others? Do you really believe you had nothing to do with your own salvation?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Default Song of the Slandered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes, humans have sullied the term good news.

Kind of like, "Hey honey I've got good news, the mortgage is paid off!"
"Really how did that happen?"
"Umm, well, the house burned down..."

The good news of the gospel is pure - great joy for all men. There is a savior of this world - He takes away all sin and makes all righteous. He will heal all and make all alive. That is good news. No bad news at all.
Psalm 109:30-31 I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth: yea, I will praise him among the multitude.

For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him from those that condemned his soul.

Peace!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Have you actually taken a moment and considered that most of the people you encounter that believe what everyone calls "UR" ARE out in the world sharing Jesus with unbelievers?
Probably not as much as I could and should. Which I say that the same courtesy be extended, that most of the "ET'ers" are doing the same thing ... sharing Jesus with unbelievers.

Unless a person is deliberatly wantingly blind, one can't argue that when the "eyes were opened" of Adam & Eve it was because they then at that moment realized God was serious .... "they will surely die"

Genesis 2:16-17 "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

John 3:36 "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them. "

I just can't be convinced that it's a matter of interpetation. Compare the two, both concepts are present.

Salvation is free:
"You are free to eat from any tree in the garden ..." Genesis 2:16

"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life.." John 3:36

"The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life." Revelation 22:17

Rejection is death; death that is eternal, not restored:
"but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.” Genesis 3:17

"but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them. " John 3:36

Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
the ultimate restoration and reconciliation of all things back to God - then God will be all in all.
You just called Christ, Paul, and John, as well as all the other prophets liars. God being all in all was an at hand, very soon, quickly, about to come event to them.
If this has not happened yet, then they are liars.

Are you confortable with this? Are any of you?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
“I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent.” 44 And he kept on preaching in the synagogues of Judea.

If you read the verses proceeding this verse in Luke 4 it should leave those who have a hard time understanding what good news is , in no doubt there is nothing bad about good news .

I do believe it was bad news to the religious system of the day because it freed the captive from the oppressor(the system) , to serve the Lord without fear

Old 11-02-2010, 12:46 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
You just called Christ, Paul, and John, as well as all the other prophets liars. God being all in all was an at hand, very soon, quickly, about to come event to them.
If this has not happened yet, then they are liars.

Are you confortable with this? Are any of you?

If someone doesn't doesn't agree with the interpretation you have accepted then they are not calling anyone a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity