U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 AM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,206,645 times
Reputation: 250

Advertisements

If you believe in the rapture,and also believe that not all Christians will be taken in it,then exactly what sins would exclude someone from 'not having their lamps full of oil' when Jesus returns for His bride? (we're all sinners).
Since the bible says that one sin is 'not greater than another',then exactly how will Jesus decide whom to take and whom to leave? Any thoughts?
Keep in mind that God does not judge in the same manner as us mortal humans do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 AM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,206,645 times
Reputation: 250
and no,this is not a trick question.I would really like to know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,256,116 times
Reputation: 420
Hey SC122,

No rapture belief here, however, I think you may have the theme of the "lamp of oil" a bit wrong. The Lamp/Oil symbolism is not how pure you are from sin, but how much faith you have. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
 
5,348 posts, read 4,608,466 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
If you believe in the rapture,and also believe that not all Christians will be taken in it,then exactly what sins would exclude someone from 'not having their lamps full of oil' when Jesus returns for His bride? (we're all sinners).
How can one be a Saint and a sinner too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
Since the bible says that one sin is 'not greater than another',then exactly how will Jesus decide whom to take and whom to leave? Any thoughts?
Keep in mind that God does not judge in the same manner as us mortal humans do.
I am probably one of the few who believe that not all born again believers will make the rapture. Notice: I did not say all Christians, because many Christians are not born again; they're Christian in name only; they still willfully sin.

Of those who are born again, I believe those (the wise virgins) who will make up His Bride will have completely crucified the flesh and the lusts thereof. They will have the power of the Holy Ghost working within them to help put the sins of the flesh away. Jesus is coming for His Bride, and She will be without spot, wrinkle or any such thing. She will have on Her garments of righteousness and holiness.

Revelation 19
[6] And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
[7] Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
[8] And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
[9] And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

Last edited by scgraham; 11-02-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 AM
 
5,348 posts, read 4,608,466 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Hey SC122,

No rapture belief here, however, I think you may have the theme of the "lamp of oil" a bit wrong. The Lamp/Oil symbolism is not how pure you are from sin, but how much faith you have. Hope that helps!
The oil is the Holy Spirit (Ghost). If one has never had an Upper Room experience, with a tongue of fire, then such a person does not have the oil of the Spirit. It's the power of the Holy Ghost working inside of a person that will prepare their garments to be pure and clean before the Lamb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 AM
 
Location: East Coast
29,757 posts, read 19,750,402 times
Reputation: 2072
scgraham not that i want to hijack this thread , but how do you discern whether a person is willfully or ignorantly sinning ?, how do you also determine this about yourself to assure yourself you are going to make the rapture ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,256,116 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The oil is the Holy Spirit (Ghost). If one has never had an Upper Room experience, with a tongue of fire, then such a person does not have the oil of the Spirit. It's the power of the Holy Ghost working inside of a person that will prepare their garments to be pure and clean before the Lamb.
Yes.....I should have been more specific. The cause and effect of the Oil/Holy Spirit...faith is the theme of the passage. Jesus advised those in the church with lukewarm works to buy from Him gold refined in the fire, white garments, and eye salve. Then in Matt. 25: 1 - 13 the parable of the ten virgins the five foolish were told to go buy more oil from those that sold “oil meaning the Holy Spirit”.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM
 
5,348 posts, read 4,608,466 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
scgraham not that i want to hijack this thread , but how do you discern whether a person is willfully or ignorantly sinning ?,
What do the scriptures reveal? More specifically, if you know something is wrong, do you do it any way with the attitude that everyone sins? Or, do you deny self and resist the temptation? Who's your master? If Jesus is your master, then you obey Him by resisting temptation. If satan is your master, then you yield to sin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
how do you also determine this about yourself to assure yourself you are going to make the rapture ?
As all must do, I seek to prepare myself, ever longing to wade deeper into God's grace by bringing self under control; one of the nine fruits of the Spirit is temperance, which is self control. Without it, we can't control our temper nor our speech -- among other things. Those who will make up Jesus' Bride will be pure, clean and holy before the Lamb, washed in His blood unto righteousness. This is not merely positional, but living reality. These things seem unbelievable to those who won't yield to the Lord in prayers, fastings and living in the Word of God through the faith in the blood of the Lamb. As we spend time in His presence, we lose sight of this old world and He molds us into vessels for His use, not sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 PM
 
Location: East Coast
29,757 posts, read 19,750,402 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
What do the scriptures reveal? More specifically, if you know something is wrong, do you do it any way with the attitude that everyone sins? Or, do you deny self and resist the temptation? Who's your master? If Jesus is your master, then you obey Him by resisting temptation. If satan is your master, then you yield to sin.
scgraham my question was

but how do you discern whether a person is willfully or ignorantly sinning ?, or better still how do you know a sin committed by another is willfull or ignorant ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,256,116 times
Reputation: 420
pcamps,

You don't. You let God decide that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top