U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2010, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Southern Illinois
138 posts, read 153,175 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Lately I've been wondering why the Catholic Church never canonized Moses, Jacob, Abraham, or any of the Old Testament prophets, for that matter, as saints. Is it because they pre-date Jesus, thus were never "Christians?"

Thanks,
Light
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,138 posts, read 19,958,111 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
Hello everyone!

Lately I've been wondering why the Catholic Church never canonized Moses, Jacob, Abraham, or any of the Old Testament prophets, for that matter, as saints. Is it because they pre-date Jesus, thus were never "Christians?"

Thanks,
Light
It's because he's a New England Patriots fan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,451 posts, read 31,853,456 times
Reputation: 9399
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It's because he's a New England Patriots fan
Nope. He is a linebacker for the Dolphins, but who knows, maybe one day he'll play for the Saints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 07:34 PM
 
1,932 posts, read 4,256,215 times
Reputation: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
Hello everyone!

Lately I've been wondering why the Catholic Church never canonized Moses, Jacob, Abraham, or any of the Old Testament prophets, for that matter, as saints. Is it because they pre-date Jesus, thus were never "Christians?"

Thanks,
Light
You're probably right. Moses, et all were Jewish and therefore, according to the Catholic church rules, not eligible to be "saints".

However, all believers are saints, according to the Word:

Ephesians 1:1-2
Colossians 1:1-3
Philemon 5:4-7

These are a few instances alone, as there are many more in the OT, where beleivers are referred to as saints. This is long before any official cannonization of any one particular person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,822 posts, read 9,808,279 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
You're probably right. Moses, et all were Jewish and therefore, according to the Catholic church rules, not eligible to be "saints".

However, all believers are saints, according to the Word:

Ephesians 1:1-2
Colossians 1:1-3
Philemon 5:4-7

These are a few instances alone, as there are many more in the OT, where beleivers are referred to as saints. This is long before any official cannonization of any one particular person.
However, all believers are saints, according to the Word:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Reputation: 44322
You are right all believers are saints and priests - true since the Reformation.
It really is an interesting question to ask and I would hope that some RC posters can elucidate us on this exclusion.
Also what about Ruth, Naomi, Sarah, Rebekah and Abigail?
Never saw an RC chrch named after any of them either.
hmmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Oregon
3,066 posts, read 2,935,861 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You are right all believers are saints and priests - true since the Reformation.
It really is an interesting question to ask and I would hope that some RC posters can elucidate us on this exclusion.
Also what about Ruth, Naomi, Sarah, Rebekah and Abigail?
Never saw an RC chrch named after any of them either.
hmmm....


RESPONSE:

I believe one of the earlier posters is correct. No Old Testament figures could be made saints since they weren't Christians.

It also should be recognized that for a long time sainthood was decided by popular acclaim, not canonization.

The formal canonization process began in the fifteenth century.

(I've applied to the Vatican for canonization myself, but my application has met with some resistence. Then again, the Queen continues to overlook my application for Knighthood. It's not been a good year.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
 
271 posts, read 295,568 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
[/b]

(I've applied to the Vatican for canonization myself, but my application has met with some resistence. Then again, the Queen continues to overlook my application for Knighthood. It's not been a good year.)
Never mind
It will be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:09 PM
 
271 posts, read 295,568 times
Reputation: 35
They weren't christians.
they were directly revealed by God
they are not in need to such a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 05:55 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,634 posts, read 3,728,039 times
Reputation: 3879
More than anything , because he was a mythic figure, not a real actual person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top