U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-12-2010, 07:58 AM

7,374 posts, read 4,259,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Your interpretation is clearly not Biblical. Jesus had spoken to His disciples about His impending suffering & how He would give His life "as a ransom for many".

Yes, that is what i said. That whenever we eat and drink we should remember Christ and what he did for us in his work on the cross. Just as food and drink sustain us physically, his spirit sustains us and quickens us because of his work on the cross on our behalf.

Man shall not live by brad alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Christ is the word of God ... Etc.

Are you catholic?

If so, there is no wonder why you disagree. But I'm here to tell you, transubstantiation is a pagan myth ...

Nevertheless, we digress ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 11:03 AM

6,692 posts, read 2,657,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Yes, that is what i said. That whenever we eat and drink we should remember Christ and what he did for us in his work on the cross. Just as food and drink sustain us physically, his spirit sustains us and quickens us because of his work on the cross on our behalf.

Man shall not live by brad alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Christ is the word of God ... Etc.

Are you catholic?

If so, there is no wonder why you disagree. But I'm here to tell you, transubstantiation is a pagan myth ...

Nevertheless, we digress ...
Whenever we "eat of this bread & drink of this cup", we do it in remembrance of Him. He was not talking about our everyday food, nor our daily sustenance.

No, I'm not Catholic. In my church, it's just crackers & grape juice. However, it represents His broken body & spilt blood offered for our sins.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:20 PM

95 posts, read 83,629 times
As a Lutheran I not only idolize the cross but seek the salvation that flows from the cross. I wear a crucifix under my clothing and we have a crucifix above the bed as well as one in the living room. At church we kiss the crucifix on Good Friday, when the procession cross is carried into the church we bow to it and I cross myself every day in prayer. So the image of the holy cross is very important to Lutheran Christians as the very symbol of our salvation in Christ.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM

7,767 posts, read 7,526,929 times
I think people just try to make an unnecessary big deal out of stuff like this.

Believers don't idolize the cross itself ~ that accusation is just stupid. It's how He died, it's where He suffered, it's when and how things changed from then on out. To have a cross on your wall, to kneel before one in a church, or even carry one, is merely something tangible for people to relate to and nothing more.

Half the people who snarl about symbols and "idols" probably sport numerous tattoos all over their bodies.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:33 PM

10,891 posts, read 9,067,869 times
I think the more dangerous form of idolatry that I see in this world is bible worship.
The bible is taken out of it's social and historical context and is used to condemn others.
That is spiritual abuse and is nothing that Jesus would have us do as his followers.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:45 PM

22,849 posts, read 10,714,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think the more dangerous form of idolatry that I see in this world is bible worship.
The bible is taken out of it's social and historical context and is used to condemn others.
That is spiritual abuse and is nothing that Jesus would have us do as his followers.
Amen!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:56 PM

18,950 posts, read 8,988,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen!
And an Amen from me too

Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 PM

Back 'atcha Mystic and pcamps! Amen and rep for all!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:04 PM

well I was blocked from the rep but "Amen!" for you both!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:22 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,379,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
So sad but true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity