Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I am trying to figure out what denominations hold the 6000 year Earth belief to be true? Is it your belief or is taught by your denomination?
It is my belief that the earth is several billion years old. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has no official doctrine on the age of the Earth, only that God is the Creator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I have arrived at my belief in YEC after much intense study from both sides of the argument. Jesus won.
I'm assuming you think that those who believe in an old Earth are believing something other than what Jesus taught. Am I right?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm assuming you think that those who believe in an old Earth are believing something other than what Jesus taught. Am I right?
That's a fair statement.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
but I do believe that God has be trying to have a family with the human creature for 6,000 years

Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
That's a fair statement.
Tell me where Jesus actually taught anything about the earth's age.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Tell me where Jesus actually taught anything about the earth's age.
Mark 10:6 (NIV) - 6 “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’ <emphasis mine>

This is a statement of Jesus' taken from his teaching about marriage... why there is marriage and why it is between a man and woman. Notice the wording I highlighted - "at the beginning". He didn't say "sometime after the beginning" or "many ages after the creation" He said "at the beginning". So, when was the beginning?

That, according to this thread, depends on who you listen to, who you believe. There are those that believe in millions and billions of years of history until the rise of man via God or evolution or a combination thereof. However, that would mean millions/billions of years before humans even entered the picture. Humans purportedly showed up ~100,000 years ago, long after the universe began and the earth was formed and long after many, many, many species lived and died. Well, to me is not "at the beginning". That's sometime long after the beginning.

My belief is "at the beginning" is as described in Genesis and can be understood clearly from a plain reading of the text. Don't bring pre-concieved notions to the bible. Read what the bible tells us. The beginning was the sixth day of creation. Jesus is even quoted as using the terminology from Genesis 1. Jesus is confirming the accuracy of Genesis by using it as a reference for teaching. Jesus confirms other parts of Genesis as well, but that is another posting.

So how do we know when the sixth day of creation was? The bible provides the information in the geneologies contained within Genesis. There have been several calculations made regarding the geneologies, adding the ages of the patriarchs, going all the way back to Adam. This is working from known dates, such as the exodus, etc. They get roughly ~6,000 to at the very most (giving consideration to arguments for 'gaps' in the geneologies) ~10,000 BC as when Adam was created by God. So, for me, the earth is ~ 6,000 yrs + 6 days old.

A very good technical article regarding the geneologies can be read here:
Some remarks preliminary to a biblical chronology

I know, I know, then we get into the arguments that a "day" in Genesis is not a regular, 24-hour "day" as we understand it. Well, I don't buy that argument either and disagree. I believe the days of creation were regular, 24-hour earth days. But that's another posting.

Blessings...

Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 AM

42 posts, read 41,053 times
mams1559, I never noticed that before about what Jesus said in Mark 10! That's awesome. Good work by the way in that last posting, keep it up. God's plan for humanity revolves around the way He created the earth. 6 days we work, 7th day we rest. God works for 6 thousand years, on the 7th thousand years God rests. That's why satan is locked away for a thousand years because God doesn't work on His rest day. Earth is around 5,993 years old. Get ready...

Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Mark 10:6 (NIV) - 6 “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’ <emphasis mine>
Creation of what? Looks like the only thing mentioned in this verse with a beginning is "them." Similar to Mt 19:4, apparently he is teaching that it has never been, is not, and never will be God's plan that man not be male and female, nor that they would practice separation from each other. That's the point - not a statement on the age of the earth. It doesn't matter what the creator did before He created man, only that from the first creation of man until now and until the end of man on this earth, God has created man to be male and female, and married - it has always been the plan. Looks like a heavy application of eisegesis to finally get around to the conclusion that Jesus was a YEC. That just seems like a real stretch. But of course YMMV. Even at best this old argument (yes, Preppy, it has been circulating for quite a while) for YECism is inconclusive.

Last edited by PanTerra; 11-18-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Creation of what? Looks like the only thing mentioned in this verse with a beginning is "them." Similar to Mt 19:4, apparently he is teaching that it has never been, is not, and never will be God's plan that man not be male and female, nor that they would practice separation from each other. That's the point - not a statement on the age of the earth. It doesn't matter what the creator did before He created man, only that from the first creation of man until now and until the end of man on this earth, God has created man to be male and female, and married - it has always been the plan. Looks like a heavy application of eisegesis to finally get around to the conclusion that Jesus was a YEC. That just seems like a real stretch. But of course YMMV. Even at best this old argument (yes, Preppy, it has been circulating for quite a while) for YECism is inconclusive.
Not "Creation of what?" as you state, but "at the beginning of creation". What is the creation? Everything is the creation... us, the earth, the universe, everything. Clearly when someone says "the creation" we all understand what that means. So I don't believe it to be a stretch that Jesus is saying from the beginning of the creation God created man and woman.

I understand Jesus is not specifically directing his comments to the age of creation. I even said this is his statement as regards marriage. I'm pointing out that God has said "at the beginning" man and woman were created ... not millions of years after the beginning.

It is not I utilzing eisegesis to believe in YEC. It is others using eisegesis to believe the bible allows for millions/billions of years.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:51 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Not "Creation of what?" as you state, but "at the beginning of creation". What is the creation? Everything is the creation... us, the earth, the universe, everything. Clearly when someone says "the creation" we all understand what that means. So I don't believe it to be a stretch that Jesus is saying from the beginning of the creation God created man and woman.

I understand Jesus is not specifically directing his comments to the age of creation. I even said this is his statement as regards marriage. I'm pointing out that God has said "at the beginning" man and woman were created ... not millions of years after the beginning.

It is not I utilzing eisegesis to believe in YEC. It is others using eisegesis to believe the bible allows for millions/billions of years.
See, it is inconclusive. But I understand. However, I see it as eisegesis and a big tree you go around to get that conclusion when it is not really spelled out in that verse. I see it as adding from just creation of the only thing mentioned in that verse (man) to get creation of everything (an extrapolation). As always, YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity