U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 PM
 
5,925 posts, read 3,441,270 times
Reputation: 629

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Hey Phazel,

Perhaps I can ask you. What if all I did in life was apply the axiom, "do not do to others what you do not want done to you" and never crack open a Bible, attend a church, believe in the biblical god or Jesus, would I be faulted for anything?
The direct answer to your question is no.

Jesus is what you speak of, some of us just happen to use the english word Jesus. But it also is much harder to use the word Jesus and intend to convey such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2010, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 2,750,475 times
Reputation: 855
Insane,
There are different manifestations of the Lord, and it may be that you are experiencing one that is new to you. But it's all good!!

Blessings,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 2,750,475 times
Reputation: 855
Default One more thing..

Just because someone cannot explain something that is written in Scripture doesn't mean it doesn't have significance.. it only means that the person you're talking with hasn't received knowledge of that part yet.

In my opinion, some of the most "Bible literate" are some of the most "in the dark!" Adhereing to a doctrine or becoming a member of a church group does NOT mean that you understand what you are reading..

Blessings!
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,521 posts, read 4,359,879 times
Reputation: 2665
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
- Knew the Bible back and front

- Jesus was the best thing since sex

- The church I attended was the best

- Felt no pressure, stopped the firre and brimstone crap

- Went to church because I wanted to not because I felt obligated

- On a spiritual high
Curious what demonization or type of church you went to?

Would you say that much of your faith was an emotional connection both to your religion and others in your circle?

Donít worry, I am not working up a sales pitch, since I donít think there is one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 01:58 PM
 
9,487 posts, read 5,032,603 times
Reputation: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Well, the Disciples did not understand either, did they?
Eventually they did. Jesus in Matthew 13:11-13 explained it to them, and then Matthew 13:18-23 explained the parable. (IMO) It wasn't until pentecost until they really grasped what Jesus said, when he said:

“Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 PM
 
4,800 posts, read 3,906,578 times
Reputation: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Curious what demonization or type of church you went to?

Would you say that much of your faith was an emotional connection both to your religion and others in your circle?

Donít worry, I am not working up a sales pitch, since I donít think there is one.
A holiness church at first (very legalistic, fundamenatalist and strict) then Brookly Tabernale (Brooklyn, NY) and then Calvary Chapel, Ft. Lauderdale. The last two are wonderful churches. The message just happened to have run hallow once you know the story being told is all fables for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
14,064 posts, read 9,857,062 times
Reputation: 4714
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I probably still did not go a job in getting my questions over.
Actually, that might be due to the fact that you never actually got around to asking a question. Your OP was interesting, but I wasn't quite sure how to respond. I wasn't clear as to what you were asking. How about one straightforward question for the dummies like me who would respond if they knew what you were looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 04:04 PM
 
4,800 posts, read 3,906,578 times
Reputation: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, that might be due to the fact that you never actually got around to asking a question. Your OP was interesting, but I wasn't quite sure how to respond. I wasn't clear as to what you were asking. How about one straightforward question for the dummies like me who would respond if they knew what you were looking for.
There was a single question in there somewhere, but typing at work with the Veteran's Day parade passing by the window here in NY was a little distracting. No real flow of thought. sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 04:06 PM
 
4,800 posts, read 3,906,578 times
Reputation: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Eventually they did. Jesus in Matthew 13:11-13 explained it to them, and then Matthew 13:18-23 explained the parable. (IMO) It wasn't until pentecost until they really grasped what Jesus said, when he said:

ďBecause the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them."

Sounds kinda backwards. First, they are not allowed to see and hear, but then we are told that the Disciples were given the ability yet the others were not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Clayton, MO
1,159 posts, read 682,984 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I see more and more Christians customizing the religion to THEIR taste
Because they would like to have it their way, like Burger King maybe.

Well intended, nice, tax paying, church going Christian at the drive thru:

"Yeah, ummmm...I'll take the Mighty Bible Meal, with no stoning or slave keeping, but with extra pickles and emphasization of the sex sins. Not hetero sex sins, just the homosexual ones ok?... Yeah, I'll have a Coke with that..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top