Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 AM

138 posts, read 181,657 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Recently, I met an individual who self-identifies as a polygamist. He also identifies as a Christian (ardent, at that). According to him, his Bible studies have allowed him to see that his identification as a polygamist is Biblically-based, and in no way violates any Commandment, edict, teaching or law of ancient Judaism, nor of modern Christianity. I asked for citations and he gave the example of King David.

I admit ignorance regarding the reasons why Mormons and Muslems believe that polygamy is religiously upheld, but I was under the impression that for the remainder of the Judeo-Christian world, monogamy is the rule one must uphold.

Can anyone refute or support this individual's claim?

Thanks, and peace to each of you,
Light

Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
Hello all,

Recently, I met an individual who self-identifies as a polygamist. He also identifies as a Christian (ardent, at that). According to him, his Bible studies have allowed him to see that his identification as a polygamist is Biblically-based, and in no way violates any Commandment, edict, teaching or law of ancient Judaism, nor of modern Christianity. I asked for citations and he gave the example of King David.

I admit ignorance regarding the reasons why Mormons and Muslems believe that polygamy is religiously upheld, but I was under the impression that for the remainder of the Judeo-Christian world, monogamy is the rule one must uphold.

Light
Actually, a considerable number of Old Testament prophets had more than one wife. Abraham is one notable example. I have heard some Christians explain that God has always forbidden polygamy and that He was opposed to Abraham taking more than one wife. They insist that the practice of polygamy displeased God but that He more or less begrudgingly permitted it. Seriously, does this sound like the God you've come to understand in your reading of the scriptures? God does not make a practice of turning a blind eye when His children are commiting a sin. If God were displeased by Abraham and the other prophets who had more than one wife, we certainly have no record of His saying so.

This is not to say that He approves of adultery, fornication or sexual promiscuity of any kind. I have always been taught that there have been times and places during which He has authorized the practice of polygamy, generally for His own purposes, those purposes being primarily to increase the posterity of certain individuals whom He knows will be raised to love and serve Him. I too must plead ignorance regarding the Muslim practice of polygamy, but I can tell you that Mormon doctrine pretty much falls in line with what I have said in this post. In other words, monogamy is to be the standard unless God authorizes polygamy on a limited and temporary basis. Incidentally, the practice of polygamy ended in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints almost 125 years ago.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:26 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times

Solomon had about 800 wives and as Katz said so did many people in the OT. I look at it from a practical standpoint, I doubt God is against it as long as all are taken care of. Part of the problem with most polygamist sects today is the control and isolation that most fo them are in. I have no problem with people like the Sisters Wives (on TLC) since they live "normal" lives and it seems that there is no marrying off of the kids at 14 etc.

I think one wife is difficult so I don’t want more. :-)

Old 11-21-2010, 03:18 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Light
Light,

What does Scripture say about Polygamy

That should help you a little with your new friend.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Light,

What does Scripture say about Polygamy

That should help you a little with your new friend.
From the link you posted, sciotamics...

Was Abraham, David Solomon condemned or approved for practicing polygamy? Well they certainly did not get blessed for it! The fact that every polygamist in the Bible like David and Solomon (1 Chron. 14:3) were punished. This should be evidence that this is not God’s will.

God never condoned polygamy but like divorce he allowed it to occur and did not bring an immediate punishment for this disobedience. Multiple wives was tolerated but never with God's approval.

This site says these individuals were not blessed. Seriously, do you actually believe that Abraham was not blessed? Surely there was no other Old Testament prophet so blessed as he. Acts 3:25 says, "Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed."

How could God have conceivably blessed Him more than this?

And why do believe your source says "God never condoned polygamy but... he allowed it to occur"? There is absolutely no biblical evidence that God was displeased with the practice of polygamy per se. See, I knew someone would say this. It's what they always say, but they can't provide one single solitary verse in which God condemned the practice, except when it was abused and practiced for the purpose of sexual fulfillment. Why would God have "allowed" it without at least saying it was wrong?

Old 11-21-2010, 05:04 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Light
Any of the polygamy examples from scripture are from the OT. Much to the dismay of pro-polygamists, there wasn't as many as there seems to be. For the most part most people didn't practice polygamy. And the ones that are mentioned, most were done outside of Godly intentions. All had troubles\hardships as a result of polygamy.

Abraham and Sarah didn't trust God's promise to become a polygamist
King David manipulated and murdered to become a polygamist
Solomon stopped believing in God and become a polygamist

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Then there is Jacob ... talk about "sister wives"
Jacob said to Laban: “Give me my wife (Jacob agreed to marry Rachel). My time is completed, and I want to lie with her.” Genesis 29:21

Jacob was decieved by Laban and got Leah instead.

The result of this:
"When the LORD saw that Leah was not loved, he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren." Genesis 29:31

The result of this Genesis 29:31

• Rachel became jealous of her sister.
  • Jacob became angry with Rachel about the situation of with her being barren and blamed God Genesis 30:2
The solution by Jacob and Rachel:
  • Another wife (like another one would be any better)

Then Leah stops having children ... the solution?
Another wife (like another one would be any better) Genesis 30:9

God's solution ... go back home. Genesis 31:3

Then God tells Laban:
“Be careful not to say anything to Jacob, either good or bad.”

• What does Laban do.... confronts Jacob.
    • Then Laban said to Jacob, “What have you done? You’ve deceived me, and you’ve carried off my daughters like captives in war."

Unlike what you have been told, there is plenty of Biblical evidence that having more than one wife is not God pleasing based on the experiences of those who practiced it.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Much to the dismay of pro-polygamists, there wasn't as many as there seems to be. For the most part most people didn't practice polygamy.
There is nothing to be dismayed about. Of course there weren't a great many men who were practicing polygamy. Whenever the Lord has permitted men to take more than one wife, it has been within the bounds He has set. It has been to accomplish His purposes. The truth of the matter is, there aren't all that many men good enough to practice polygamy for the right reasons.

If God had been opposed to the practice of polygamy, why would He have given David more than one wife? Why would He have given someone something that was causing him to sin? 2 Samuel 12:7-8 clearly states that it was God's choice that David have more than one wife.

"And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

Furthermore, it was not the fact that David had more than one wife that was sinful. It was that he coveted and committed murder. David already had more than one wife, wives God himself had given him.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-21-2010 at 06:29 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
katzpur,

I think you misunderstand what they wrote.. They are blessed, just not blessed for their polygamy.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
katzpur,

I think you misunderstand what they wrote.. They are blessed, just not blessed for their polygamy.
They were blessed because they were obedient to God. Had they been disobedient, they would not have been blessed. Their polygamy, per se, was not an issue with God. Otherwise, He would have clearly stated His objections. After all, He is generally not shy about telling His children when He is displeased with them.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:05 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
They were blessed because they were obedient to God. Had they been disobedient, they would not have been blessed. Their polygamy, per se, was not an issue with God. Otherwise, He would have clearly stated His objections. After all, He is generally not shy about telling His children when He is displeased with them.
No Katzpur,
They were blessed despite their fornication.

1 Corinthians 7:2
"Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband." (KJV)

God in the NT commanded that a husband should love his wife like Christ love the church. Ephesians 5:25

God in the NT isn't different from the OT. Polygamy is\has always been immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity