U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:27 AM

910 posts, read 1,043,834 times

Advertisements

Some posters await Christ to come from the sky. They back this up with Act 1:10-11, and 1 The 4. I would want to start with Acts and see why there are varied understanding of scripture. Please state and explain your understanding of this passage.

Quote:
And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel: Which also said, ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, which is taken up from you in heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen Him go into heaven.

I feel that the angels have a better understanding than the disciples about his second coming. So the question they asked was rhetorical and important to the subject matter. The question 'Why stand ye gazing up to heaven? ' means it was unnecessary to await him from the heaven. He went up as a man and would come back as a man.

My views are reinforced by

a) Rev 12:5. Man-child born to rule the world

b) Heb 1:6 - Man has always been ruling, right from Adam. Man would also rule in his 2nd advent.

c) 1 Thes 5:2. He will come like a thief in the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:27 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,111,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Some posters await Christ to come from the sky. They back this up with Act 1:10-11, and 1 The 4. I would want to start with Acts and see why there are varied understanding of scripture. Please state and explain your understanding of this passage.

I feel that the angels have a better understanding than the disciples about his second coming. So the question they asked was rhetorical and important to the subject matter. The question 'Why stand ye gazing up to heaven? ' means it was unnecessary to await him from the heaven. He went up as a man and would come back as a man.

b) Heb 1:6 - Man has always been ruling, right from Adam. Man would also rule in his 2nd advent.

I agree with you, at least in a sense. I don't believe Christ returns as a single body, but within many bodies: yours, mine and everyone else's. I believe Christ's return is occurring when we are called by Him to hear His voice: we then see Him return, within us. Paul tells us clearly in 2 Cor. 13 that we are truly in the faith when we have the witness WITHIN us, that Jesus Christ dwells in us, in our hearts. If we see Christ in us, this is the second coming, and the only True Witness. The way I am seeing things today, only those who see Christ in them are of the faith. Many are focused on outside signs, of "here He is!" and "there He is!" But Christ at a distance has no power to save people from their fleshly lusts; only Christ within us has a real "visible" power which causes us to overcome.

Man tends to focus on the external, the tangible, the temporary. God's focus is on the internal (the heart), the unseen, the eternal. Within us.

Very nice thread, imo!!

Blessings!
Brian

Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 AM

3,066 posts, read 2,938,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I agree with you, at least in a sense. I don't believe Christ returns as a single body, but within many bodies: yours, mine and everyone else's. I believe Christ's return is occurring when we are called by Him to hear His voice: we then see Him return, within us. Paul tells us clearly in 2 Cor. 13 that we are truly in the faith when we have the witness WITHIN us, that Jesus Christ dwells in us, in our hearts. If we see Christ in us, this is the second coming, and the only True Witness. The way I am seeing things today, only those who see Christ in them are of the faith. Many are focused on outside signs, of "here He is!" and "there He is!" But Christ at a distance has no power to save people from their fleshly lusts; only Christ within us has a real "visible" power which causes us to overcome.

Man tends to focus on the external, the tangible, the temporary. God's focus is on the internal (the heart), the unseen, the eternal. Within us.

Very nice thread, imo!!

Blessings!
Brian
RESPONSE

So you dispute Mark 13:26-27?

"Then they will see “the Son of Man coming in clouds” with great power and glory.Then he will send out the angels, and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven."

Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,557,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE

"Then they will see “the Son of Man coming in clouds” with great power and glory.Then he will send out the angels, and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven."
In Mk. 13:26 He comes with CLOUDS. In Mat. 24:27 He comes as LIGHTNING. In Rev. 16:15 He comes as a THIEF. In Mat. 25:6 He comes as the BRIDEGROOM. In Rev. 22:16 and 2:28 He comes as the MORNING STAR. In Mal. 4:2 He comes as the SUN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS ARISING. In Phil. 3:20-21 He comes in RESURRECTION POWER. In II Thes. 1:7-8 He comes in FLAMING FIRE. In Mal. 3:1-3 He comes to His priesthood company as REFINER'S FIRE and FULLER'S SOAP. In I Thes. 4:16-17 He comes IN THE AIR. In Hos. 6:3 and James 5:7-8 He comes as the RAIN. In Rev. 19:11 & 14 He comes on a WHITE HORSE. In Mat. 25:31-34 He comes as KING. In I Pet. 5:4 He comes as the CHIEF SHEPHERD. In Mat. 16:27 He comes WITH HIS ANGELS. In Jude 14 He comes WITH HIS SAINTS. In Jn. 14:18 He comes TO HIS SAINTS. In II Thes. 1:10 He comes IN HIS SAINTS. In Jude 14 & 15 He comes in JUDGMENT. In Rev. 22:12 He comes WITH REWARDS. And time and space fail me to tell of how He comes with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, with the trump of God; He comes to the Mount of Olives; He comes to His temple; He comes in glory; He comes as Lord; He comes in His Kingdom; He comes as seasons of refreshing, etc., etc., etc.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,237,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post

Acts 1:

9 After saying this, Jesus was taken up while those who had gathered togethered were watching, and a cloud took him out of their sight.

10 While he was going and they were gazing up toward heaven, two men in white robes stood right beside them.

11 They asked, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This same Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you saw him go up into heaven.”

This same Jesus shall come again in his own person, clothed with a glorious body; this same Jesus, who came once to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself, will appear a second time without sin (Heb. 9:26, 28), who came once in disgrace to be judged, will come again in glory to judge. The same Jesus who has given you your charge will come again to call you to an account how you have performed your trust; he, and not another," Job 19:27.

"He shall come in like manner. He is gone away in a cloud, and attended with angels; and, behold, he comes in the clouds, and with him an innumerable company of angels! He is gone up with a shout and with the sound of a trumpet (Ps. 47:5), and he will descend from heaven with a shout and with the trump of God, 1 Th. 4:16. You have now lost the sight of him in the clouds and in the air; and where he has gone you cannot follow him now, but when he comes again, then you shall be caught up in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air."

When we stand gazing...the consideration of our Master's second coming should quicken and awaken us, and it should comfort and encourage us to do and be all we can in His Spirit...in His character...as His representative.

He will come back to set up His Kingdom with His saints...His beloved...His chosen...His bride...pure and holy.

In Christ's love,
Verna.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE

We are surrounded by a "cloud of witnesses." (Heb. 12.1) We as believers are the beginning of the clouds. You and I are clouds into which the Son of Man comes when we are regenerated. A "cloud without water" (Jude v.12) are those without the Inner Witness, without the Spirit of Love.

The Son "sits" upon the believer. Rev. 14.14: "And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle." Rev. 1.7 "Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen."

Blessings,
Brian

Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,043,800 times
AHEM ^^^^ I say, WOE, the lights are on and nobody is home, post !!!

we are clouds....

...... I believe "There's a vacancy at the Gray Matter Motel." ...

Oh, dear this place (forum) is getting weirder and weider.....

We're DEFINITELY getting some strange ducks in the pond lately.....

Anywayz...... back to the topic,

Acts 1:10-11
10. And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them.
11. They also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven."

I see Jesus coming back just as He left !

Acts 13:31
And for many days He appeared to those who came up with Him from Galilee to Jerusalem, the very ones who are now His witnesses to the people.

When we stand gazing and trifling, the thoughts of our Master's second coming should quicken and awaken us: when we stand gazing and trembling, they should comfort and encourage us. May our expectation of it be stedfast and joyful, giving diligence to be found of him blameless. (Ac 1:12-14)

Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 AM

43,858 posts, read 43,582,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post

Anywayz...... back to the topic,

Acts 1:10-11
10. And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them.
11. They also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven."

I see Jesus coming back just as He left !
I agree with you because that is exactly what the Bible says.

And for additional thought.....I think the second our bodies become immortal and we are no longer confined to our current physical body 3 Dimensional view...it will probably be real interesting to see how close He was all along. Much like Luke 24:31:
"Then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him;... "

Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 AM

5,738 posts, read 4,584,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Very nice thread, imo!!

Blessings!
Brian
This is just so beautiful, Brian!
I've had this same view for quite awhile, but you stated it so eloquently. Really gives a picture in your mind. I hope there will be many who will quietly reflect on this. This is the hope and the power of Christ IN us. It's not about escaping and being swept up and away. Yes, brother... a great cloud of witnesses.

What GLORY to God.
Your post really made my day.
Thank you,
sparrow

Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
This is just so beautiful, Brian!
I've had this same view for quite awhile, but you stated it so eloquently. Really gives a picture in your mind. I hope there will be many who will quietly reflect on this. This is the hope and the power of Christ IN us. It's not about escaping and being swept up and away. Yes, brother... a great cloud of witnesses.

What GLORY to God.
Your post really made my day.
Thank you,
sparrow
I'm glad it blessed you! I think we sometimes forget that Jesus had MANY things to tell his disciples, but had to wait because they weren't ready to hear them.
The same is true today, we aren't ready to hear most of the Gospel truths. But the early church was hearing deeper things that have been "hidden" from Christendom. Jesus started the message, but now it's His body that needs to come unto the scene, because we still have soooo much to learn..

Thank you for the comment.. it's nice to feel I've made someone's day! (Think of it as a small return of how much you have blessed me!! )

Blessings to you Sparrow!
Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity