Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does God love his enemies?
Yes ... 26 83.87%
NO! 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:45 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,627,883 times

Advertisements

No. He does not.

...but I will not let it go with just a "yes" or a "no."

God infatuates those whom he designs to destroy..." He leads counselors away stripped and makes fools of judges." Job 12:17. He will give comfort to those that suffer wrong and take vengeance on those that do wrong. All violence and unrighteousness is sin, and SO MUCH THE MORE! if it is done against any of God's people; "It is thy brother Jacob that is in covenant with God, and dear to him. Thou hatest him whom God has loved, and because God espouses and will plead with jealousy, and in whose interests God is pleased so far to interest himself that he takes the violence done to him as done to himself. Whoso touches Jacob touches the apple of the eye of Jacob's God."

Obadiah.

This book is entitled, The Vision of Obadiah. He wrote was what he saw; it is his vision.

This book is wholly concerning Edom, a nation nearly allied and near adjoining to Israel, and yet an enemy to the seed of Jacob, inheriting the enmity of their father Esau to Jacob. Edom is the nation against which this prophecy is levelled, and which, some think, is for all the enemies of Israel, that shall be brought down.

1 The vision of Obadiah. This is what the Sovereign Lord says about Edom—We have heard a message from the Lord: An envoy was sent to the nations to say, "Rise, and let us go against her for battle”—

2 “See, I will make you small among the nations; you will be utterly despised.

3 The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks and make your home on the heights, you who say to yourself, ‘Who can bring me down to the ground?’

4 Though you soar like the eagle and make your nest among the stars, from there I will bring you down,” declares the Lord.

5 “If thieves came to you, if robbers in the night—Oh, what a disaster awaits you—
would they not steal only as much as they wanted? If grape pickers came to you, would they not leave a few grapes?

6 But how Esau will be ransacked, his hidden treasures pillaged!

There is no understanding in them, (v. 7). They do not have the sense to trust in a living God, and a God of truth, but instead, put their confidence in men that are frail, fickle, and false...therefore God will destroy their understanding. God will justly deny those whose understanding is merely to to keep out of danger, but will not use their understanding to keep out of the way of sin. " He that will be foolish, let him be foolish still..."...

7 All your allies will force you to the border; your friends will deceive and overpower you; those who eat your bread will set a trap for you, but you will not detect it.

Edom had been famous for great statesmen, men of learning and experience, but now they have become fools, and God makes them so: "Shall I not in that day destroy the wise men out of Edom? As men they shall fall by the sword in common with others..."For all can see that wise men die; the foolish and the senseless alike perish and leave their wealth to others." Ps. 49:10. ...

8 “In that day,” declares the Lord, “will I not destroy the wise men of Edom, men of understanding in the mountains of Esau?

9 Your warriors, O Teman, will be terrified, and everyone in Esau’s mountains will be cut down in the slaughter.

When we read of Edom's utter ruin, you ask, "Why? Why is God so angry with him?" Because they were a sinful people, and a people laden with iniquity. But the one single crime which is bringing this ruin upon them, which they stand here indicted of, of which they are convicted, and for which they are condemned, is the injury they had done to the people of God!!!...the equivelant of the INJURY! you do when you teach lies...and lead the innocent seekers to their very destruction!!!....God's enemies will be cut off forever!!! ...

10 Because of the violence against your brother Jacob, you will be covered with shame; you will be destroyed forever.

It was the day of their destruction...

11 On the day you stood aloof while strangers carried off his wealth and foreigners entered his gates and cast lots for Jerusalem, you were like one of them.

12 You should not look down on your brother in the day of his misfortune, nor rejoice over the people of Judah in the day of their destruction, nor boast so much in the day of their trouble.

13 You should not march through the gates of my people in the day of their disaster, nor look down on them in their calamity in the day of their disaster,
nor seize their wealth in the day of their disaster.

14 You should not wait at the crossroads to cut down their fugitives, nor hand over their survivors in the day of their trouble.

15The day of the Lord is near for all nations. As you have done, it will be done to you; your deeds will return upon your own head.

The just and jealous God will find a time and a way to avenge the wrongs done to His people on those that have been injurious to them. As you have drunk upon my holy mountain (v. 16), that is, as God's professing people, who inhabit his holy mountain, have drunk deeply of the cup of affliction, so shall all the heathen drink, in their turn, of the same bitter cup...

16 Just as you drank on my holy hill, so all the nations will drink continually; they will drink and drink and be as if they had never been.

...the cup of trembling shall be taken out of the hand of God's people, and put into the hand of those that afflict them, "This is what your Sovereign LORD says, your God, who defends his people: "See, I have taken out of your hand the cup that made you stagger; from that cup, the goblet of my wrath, you will never drink again. I will put it into the hands of your tormentors, who said to you, 'Fall prostrate that we may walk over you.' And you made your back like the ground, like a street to be walked over." Isa. 51:22, 23.

After the destruction of the church's enemies is threatened, which will be completely accomplished in the great day of recompence...there follows precious promises of the salvation of His Church...His people...His beloved...His chosen...

17 But on Mount Zion will be deliverance; it will be holy, and the house of Jacob will possess its inheritance.

18 The house of Jacob will be a fire and the house of Joseph a flame; the house of Esau will be stubble, and they will set it on fire and consume it. There will be no survivors from the house of Esau.” The Lord has spoken.

19 People from the Negev will occupy the mountains of Esau, and people from the foothills will possess the land of the Philistines. They will occupy the fields of Ephraim and Samaria, and Benjamin will possess Gilead.

20 This company of Israelite exiles who are in Canaan will possess [the land] as far as Zarephath; the exiles from Jerusalem who are in Sepharad will possess the towns of the Negev.

The kingdom shall be the Lord's, the Lord Jesus Christ's. God shall give it to him, by putting all things into his hand, all power both in heaven and in earth; men shall give it to him, by resigning themselves to him as his willing people, and appointing him their head...

21 Deliverers will go up on Mount Zion to govern the mountains of Esau. And the kingdom will be the Lord’s.

There shall be the Holy Spirit, the holy ordinances, the holy Jesus, and a select remnant of holy souls, in whom, and among whom, THE HOLY God will delight to dwell. Where there is holiness there shall be deliverance. Amen.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

The day of the Lord is near upon all the heathen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Simple question ... Yes or no.

Do you believe that God loves his enemies?
Not if they reject Jesus. John 3:16

Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,922,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Was there ever a time when you were without Christ in unbelief, like Saul for instance?

Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,539,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Luke 23:34 "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

Peace!

Old 11-28-2010, 06:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
"A counterfeit understanding of love is not good news; and to be double-minded is an act or instance of hypocrisy."

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love is patient.
Love is kind.

It does not envy.
It does not boast.
It is not proud.
It is not rude.
It is not self-seeking.
It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects.
It always trusts.
It always hopes.
It always perseveres for Love never fails.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Luke 23:34 "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

Peace!
Jesus also said
“It is mine to avenge; I will repay,†says the Lord. Romans 12:19

And God said:

Deuteronomy 32:35
It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them.â€

Isaiah 1:24
Therefore the Lord, the LORD Almighty, the Mighty One of Israel, declares: “Ah, I will get relief from my foes and avenge myself on my enemies.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Revelation 6:10
They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?â€

and what happens.....?

Revelation 19:2-3
After this I heard what sounded like the roar of a great multitude in heaven shouting:
“Hallelujah!
Salvation and glory and power belong to our God, for true and just are his judgments.
He has condemned the great prostitute who corrupted the earth by her adulteries. He has avenged on her the blood of his servants.â€

And again they shouted:
“Hallelujah!
The smoke from her goes up for ever and ever.â€

Old 11-28-2010, 07:31 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,720,712 times
So alisonminnie, Asheville Native(atheist so he doesn't really count), twin.spin, and Verna Perry ... and all those who agree with them concerning the idea that God does not love his enemies but have not yet voted or who refuse to vote for whatever reason, believe that Jesus either is not God, or they believe that Jesus hates his enemies, even though he commanded us to love our enemies, which would make Jesus a hypocrite, and teach that We must love God before he loves us, which is in direct contradiction of the scriptures ... It is written ...

1 John 4:19
"We love Him, because He first loved us."

Which means God loved us before we ever loved him ...

If you charge others to do something that you are not willing to do, or if you charge others not to do something or that you do, then you are by the very definition of the word a hypocrite.

Plain and simple ...

Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
"Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."
The ultimate expression of love.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,539,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The ultimate expression of love.

Amen.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 PM

8,110 posts, read 6,851,897 times
A perfect time to repeat this post of Jerwade's:

Quote:
"A counterfeit understanding of love is not good news; and to be double-minded is an act or instance of hypocrisy."

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love is patient.
Love is kind.

It does not envy.
It does not boast.
It is not proud.
It is not rude.
It is not self-seeking.
It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects.
It always trusts.
It always hopes.
It always perseveres for Love never fails.

Love is NEVER "jealous"
EVER.

Jealousy is self-seeking, selfish, proud, boastful, and very, very UGLY.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity