Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be called a Christian if you do not believe the OT?
Yes, you can. 20 43.48%
No, you cannot. 24 52.17%
I personally do not know. 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
And the plan from the beginning was ALL about Jesus.

No matter what it took to get to that point.

Can you imagine, back then,,having no Law to guide them from 4000BC to 2000 years ago?

Would they have survived, or faded out like all other nations and empires?

I believe God and His Law kept them in a state of reverant fear, and that brought about the culmination of the times until Jesus was born. A lot was learned from the first times until that time.

Otherwise, it could have been simple, and Jesus could have been the first son of Eve,,,as a virgin.
And many are to blind to see, deaf to here, and dumb to understand(no insult intended) and in need of a healing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The KJV says every one, that seems to include kids. You "look at the quote", it is either a comand from God, as it says, or not. Now you are picking and choosing.

Here are a few more for you to "look at" in your own way.

Stoning rape victems for not screaming loud enough.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24

23"(A)If there is a girl who is a virgin engaged to a man, and another man finds her in the city and lies with her, 24then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city and you shall stone them to death; the girl, because she did not cry out in the city, and the man, because he has violated his neighbor's wife. Thus you shall purge the evil from among you.

More stoning of children

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Breaking the Sabbath

They found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. ... And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones.... And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses. Numbers 15:32-56

Not a lot of love here
Can you look at any of these quote from Gods perspective? Remember we are all guilty from birth. I believe God is showing a great deal of love by allowing anyone to even be born.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Doesn't sound like a child, but more of a overweight drunk. And a lazy one at that, bringing dishonor to his parents.

God's Law is God's Law. The man could have gathered sticks any other day of the week. It probably was so harsh, because they followed the letter of the Law.

Think anyone else gathered sticks on the Sabbath? I would bet they MADE SURE Friday before sundown, they had plenty.
And you believe this is the law of the Spirit, not that of mans?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

The Law of the Spirit to man for man to live more spiritually.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Of course, how ignorant of me, stoning someone to death always makes them more Spiritual...

Old 11-30-2010, 11:26 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Can you look at any of these quote from Gods perspective? Remember we are all guilty from birth. I believe God is showing a great deal of love by allowing anyone to even be born.
Lets put our thinking caps on.

Have you ever seen what stoning does to a person, the violence, torture and pure evil that is going on? Do you really think that God is so angry about a person gathering sticks or talking back to his Mom, that he would want him to be tortured and killed in that way? Think about that.

Stoning is something that radical Islamic terrorists do, not people worshiping a loving God.

Justification of torture is so opposite of what I believe in I really don’t know how to respond to you guys.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:03 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Living by faith is living spiritually, not follwing rules out of fear of punishment.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
And many are to blind to see, deaf to here, and dumb to understand(no insult intended) and in need of a healing.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Of course, how ignorant of me, stoning someone to death always makes them more Spiritual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Lets put our thinking caps on.

Have you ever seen what stoning does to a person, the violence, torture and pure evil that is going on? Do you really think that God is so angry about a person gathering sticks or talking back to his Mom, that he would want him to be tortured and killed in that way? Think about that.

Stoning is something that radical Islamic terrorists do, not people worshiping a loving God.

Justification of torture is so opposite of what I believe in I really don’t know how to respond to you guys.
Robin's self-loathing is understandable . . . so his belief in such an evil God with such a twisted sense of justice is understandable. That Hot has somehow become as trapped in the primitive ignorant beliefs about the nature of God of our ancestors and so fervently defends such evil as good and just is far more troubling to me. But this mindset is ubiquitous within Christianity . . . and that is the true enigma. Satan is indeed devious and powerful in appealing to all our human weaknesses.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Nobody is forcing you to read or believe anything. But, the OP was about whether one could be a "Christian" without believing the OT. Since you renounce both the OT and NT (and claim to not even read it), is is safe to assume that you are not also claiming to be a Christian? -- And, if so, what relevance does your post have here?
Well, I'm a Baptist...I think they're part of the Christian faith, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, I'm a Baptist...I think they're part of the Christian faith, but I suppose I could be wrong.
LOL, I guess since Hot is judge and jury he will let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity