Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 PM

565 posts, read 485,812 times

Advertisements

Let say, he has a preexisting condition and no insurance coverage.
Are you willing to accept that situation as being a fact of life, or is it radically against your very notion of what a Christian society should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:14 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
A Christian society, especially a filthy rich one, should provide universal healthcare to its citizens. It's a moral imperative.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:16 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
depends, if it was a real condition our community would have a fundraiser. If it was one of the new made up conditions to sell and get the kid hooked on drugs,not so much

Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,873 times
What a stupid question! Why does being a Christian have anything to do with it?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
A Christian society, especially a filthy rich one, should provide universal healthcare to its citizens. It's a moral imperative.
dont tell the left we are a Christian society,they will go nuts!!!

Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I believe that Christians will understand the question.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I agree. It's a biased question but I'll go ahead and answer anyway.

I would think it sucks.

If he is disabled, he is probably getting SSDI payments and Medicaid. Shriners, St. Jude's, Ronald McDonald House all help parents with sick children, so he's probably getting plenty of financial support if he is disabled.

If he just has pre-existing condition that is not debilitating, I would say he's in the same boat as the rest of the people with no insurance. I'd tell his parents to work harder and get bigger bonuses, seek work where they can do open enrollment and obtain insurance (pre-existing conditions are often not covered for the first year but they are beyond that), take a second job, seek low-cost health clinics, talk to their church about starting a fund, PRAY, etc.

So my ultimate answer is that while it does suck, it depends upon the condition and how disabling it is.

I don't talk to my neighbors anyway, so I definitely would not be up in their business enough to know their financial state and if their kid has pre-existing conditions.

FYI--Being a Christian does not mean free medical care for everyone, which is what you're getting at. Sorry, spin it how you like but I'm sick of my faith being used against me. What have YOU done for the indigent/poor/homeless/disabled/seniors lately? Just b/c I'm a Christian does not give me any more responsibility to care for these people than it does you.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
dont tell the left we are a Christian society,they will go nuts!!!
I'm a die-hard leftist. The fact remains that we're a nation of primarily Christians. In fact, most people on the left are Christians.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I don't talk to my neighbors anyway, so I definitely would not be up in their business enough to know their financial state and if their kid has pre-existing conditions.
We do live on a different planet.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Let say, he has a preexisting condition and no insurance coverage.
Are you willing to accept that situation as being a fact of life, or is it radically against your very notion of what a Christian society should be.

What does being or not being a Christian have to do with the scenario? Why does it matter?

Well if he lives in the US he gets Medicaid so he has insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity