U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,150,073 times

Advertisements

Not really interested arguing, but others can.

My mother died without accepting Jesus. As a matter of fact she didn't even like God. Was an atheist/agnostic who wanted no part of God.

So what's the fate of people like her? As in before she is reconciled to God.

How is she gonna spend the next 100 or 10,000 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,173,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

My mother died without accepting Jesus. As a matter of fact she didn't even like God. Was an atheist/agnostic who wanted no part of God.

I do convey my sympathies for your loss.

And if any UR'er could explain what is a "year" or how long a "year" (or and "age" ) is in the after life ... would also be helpful.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:43 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,618,679 times
Quote:

I'm sorry for your loss Mr5150. I don't think anyone can say exactly specifically what will happen.

But generally speaking, IMHO your mother, right now, is dead in the ground - unconscious, resting in peace, like sleep. That is why we say "rest in peace".

At some point she will be resurrected to judgment. From her perspective, I would imagine this will happen instantaneously... like when you go to bed and wake up the next morning its like no time has passed. She will be judged, she will realize the error of her ways (if there were any errors), she will be taught the truth, she will learn righteousness, this will be done through judgment. There is debate amongst UR about how this will happen exactly - is it instantaneous, or a classroom like process, or some other sort of "refining" - or maybe its just the sum of experience in our life.

Ultimately she will bow and confess and swear allegiance to Jesus - this is a forgone conclusion because God has sworn it will happen. This will be a true profession of love and loyalty - all will willingly praise and worship God. All will understand what God's love is - patience, kindness, protecting, forgiving. That is how everyone will be all the time. God will truly be all in all.

People can debate the timing and details of it all, but the conclusion is inevitable.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,150,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I'm sorry for your loss Mr5150. .
Thank you.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:49 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,899,990 times
Quote:
As do I.

Quote:
And if any UR'er could explain what is a "year" or how long a "year" (or and "age" ) is in the after life ... would also be helpful.
As a day is a thousand years, our time span is not the same as God's - in fact, time is our problem - He doesn't even live in the confines that we do.

That being said, God is faithful to the work of His hands - He knew your mom, her path, her personality, her character, etc. because He gave her all those qualities. Where is your mom now?

In His hands. I'm sensitive to the fact that she's dearly on your heart at this time (I lost mine this time of year in 2005), but I will simply say that the fire everyone is afraid of nothing more - and nothing less - than God Himself.

He is the refining fire.

Last edited by little elmer; 11-30-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 03:03 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,851,233 times
Mr. 5150- Obviously, I believe in the Bible, and therefore, cannot believe in universal reconciliation -- (which is little more than wishful thinking ... "Let me live my life on earth entirely on my terms ... and God will still welcome me into His eternal kingdom") --- I think that even most who claim to be in the UR 'camp' know this makes no sense, but can't get away from 'wanting to be their own god.'

I empathize with you in your pain over your mother. It is a situation that I believed was the case with my mother, right up to the end. Finally, I asked her exactly what I should say over her coffin when she was dead, since no faith was evident throughout her life (or was hidden under a wall of anger and resentment against 'religious' people ... and God (I'm a minister))_. She finally pulled down the wall and revealed a deep, inner faith in God and Jesus Christ ... that had been suppressed by her anger over losing her father, for many years. I challenged and tested her 'claims' to where I sincerely believed that she indeed had a 'saving faith'! As you can imagine, I was amazed, but truly overjoyed. Sometimes, family members are the toughest ones to truly be heart-level honest with.

Over the years, I've seen a similar thing in those who claim to be Atheists or 'no longer Christians.' I've learned to ask, "What are you angry with God about" (instead of immediately challenge their perceived 'atheism'). The majority have a pretty clear event or issue that "set them on the path of atheism'. More often than not, they are only 'children' 'stamping their foot and shouting, "I hate you" at a loving parent. Similarly, professing 'agnostics' know what they should (and often do) believe, but, are often unwilling to let others see that they are not really in control.

Am I suggesting that all atheists/agnostics ... or even your mother, are actually 'saved Christians' in disguise? Sadly, no. Many (even our loved ones) have eternally set their path on the wide road of destruction during this life ... and throughout eternity. But, our gracious God will and does deal with the pain in our heart over this type of loss. Remember, it's even a greater pain in His heart.

Last edited by jghorton; 11-30-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,492,262 times
Quote:

I'm so sorry. She is, like legoman and Jesus said, just sleeping.

I would almost agree with jghorton. Actually, I think he makes another good case for UR. He was talking about his mom, in particular, but what about the billions of people out there in her position? Angry, bitter, confused, scared, no knowledge of real love, putting up walls. She wanted to believe, and so do many other people out there, but they just can't do it. What do you think it would have taken to convert her, or those millions? Do you think a lot of people want to believe? Believing means salve-ation. A cure for the soul! You can't be saved unless you know the Good News. You're not going to be happy about winning the lottery until you believe you won the lottery. See what I mean? Many people just don't believe they've won anything! Faith, hope, love, but the greatest of these is love, not faith.

Your mom will know what love is. Everybody will know what the light is, eventually. Every knee shall bow. Most people say it's too late even though the Bible tells us that God's love never fails, so I'll believe in the love of God before I will believe people.

*hug*

Last edited by herefornow; 11-30-2010 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 04:47 PM

8,830 posts, read 10,015,150 times
So sorry for your loss Mr5150. As a believer in UR, I believe what Legoman said is the truth, that your mother is now at peace and resting comfortably. When all are resurrected and exactly what happens then is what is debatable. No one, I mean NO ONE single human being knows for sure. It is all speculation on our part but make no mistake your mother will be reconciled to God, as will ALL.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,771,789 times
I'm sorry about the death of your mother. I'm not one that believes in soul sleep. I focus on "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord." That being said, I have no idea what people, believers or unbelievers, are doing right now. I do believe with all my heart, though, that your mother and other unbelievers are not suffering. God created them in their mothers' wombs, He loves them and will never forsake them.

I'm not sure, but I think maybe the believer never dies spiritually and goes on to be with the Lord, but that the unbelievers are the ones who have soul sleep. I'm not sure, but to believe they are just dead, ignores the scriptures that say that you shall never die/will not perish, etc.

I love the verses below. Notice that even though he addresses "brethern," he doesn't say that only the "brethen" who are sleeping go to be with the Lord. And if people were eternally tortured or eternally dead, instead of saying to comfort one another with these words, IMO, it would be more fitting to say to warn one another of what will happen to them if they don't believe.

1 Thessalonians 4:

13And I do not wish you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, that ye may not sorrow, as also the rest who have not hope,

14for if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, so also God those asleep through Jesus he will bring with him,
15for this to you we say in the word of the Lord, that we who are living -- who do remain over to the presence of the Lord -- may not precede those asleep,
16because the Lord himself, in a shout, in the voice of a chief-messenger, and in the trump of God, shall come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ shall rise first,
17then we who are living, who are remaining over, together with them shall be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in air, and so always with the Lord we shall be; 18so, then, comfort ye one another in these words.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 PM

5,807 posts, read 4,790,712 times
I'm sorry to hear about our mother Mr5150. My mother has also passed on, but that was many years ago.

Bright Hope for Tomorrow and I apparently share the same views.

But.. what is it that you think, Mr5150?

peace to you and may He give you the peace that surpasses understanding,
sparrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or