U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2010, 12:29 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,648,933 times
Default I'm Having a Problem With the Idea of Being a Bride vs a Wedding Guest

This query is directed more at the men here, but women please feel free to chime in.

Guys, do you feel funny being called a "Bride" as in being "married" to Jesus in eternity? I definitely love Jesus and God with all my heart and strive to do His will, but I can't get past the "guy being married to a guy" aspect of this thing in my mind. Does anyone else struggle with this? I know the Bible says we won't have gender in heaven, but still the angels are masculine obviously. Jesus is masculine, obviously, and so we will retain some sort of gender-identifying aspect of our former gender.

I realize I'm looking at this thing through human eyes and emotions and it will be totally different once I get there, but this is still playing tricks with my mind. I find myself more wishing I could be a wedding guest than a bride simply because I can't wrap my mind around being a masculine bride to a man (Jesus).

Perhaps the bride of Christ is really New Jerusalem as per Revelation 21:2 and we are all wedding guests. As a side note-question, what will be the things we do that establish which of us will be the bride from those who end up being wedding guests because of what they did here on earth, if indeed the New Jerusalem/bride is a wrong interpretation?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 PM

9,326 posts, read 4,694,906 times
When God speaks of "bride" it was to show how faithful God is toward the Holy Church which will be made up of believers in him.
Jeremiah's message from God was to announce that they were the unfaithful one not God.

Keep this in mind when you're reading this from Jeremiah, God speaking about Israel: Jeremiah 3: 6-14
LORD said to me, “Have you seen what faithless Israel has done? ...
I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries.

The LORD said to me, “Faithless Israel is more righteous than unfaithful Judah.
Go, proclaim this message toward the north: “ ‘Return, faithless Israel,’ declares the LORD,
‘I will frown on you no longer,
for I am faithful,’ declares the LORD,

“Return, faithless people,” declares the LORD, “for I am your husband.

Jeremiah 3:20
But like a woman unfaithful to her husband, so you, Israel, have been unfaithful to me,” declares the LORD.

Jeremiah 5:11
The people of Israel and the people of Judah have been utterly unfaithful to me,” declares the LORD.

Jeremiah 31:22
How long will you wander, unfaithful Daughter Israel?

Hosea 4:12
My people consult a wooden idol, and a diviner’s rod speaks to them. A spirit of prostitution leads them astray; they are unfaithful to their God.

In the NT, the "bride" is God's true believing church. The believers will be faithful toward Jesus who is symbolized as the "groom".

Actually, it's a beautiful picture of what the relationship was meant to be between husband and wife in a marriage.

(Oh ... we know that the 10 northern tribes rejected the call (remained unfaithful) to return to God. Because of their unfaithfulness God did frown on them, rejected them and were never restored.)

Last edited by twin.spin; 12-01-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 02:02 PM

6,936 posts, read 6,946,629 times
The designation of "bride" is a powerful one, and one that none of us would be ashamed of if we knew the depth of it.

To "know" Him in the power of His resurrection is even deeper than the intimacy between a man and woman. It's a filling of our entire being by His spirit. The blood covenant God showed Abram is very relevant between us and Christ, as well as with the baptism by fire we endure.

The title is not to be taken lightly either, as His authority is passed to us as well. I have had many visions of a shy young Woman who sits silently as the evil one verbally assaults Her, until She rises and reveals Her true and full identity in Christ - who is standing behind Her, backing Her every request.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,310,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This query is directed more at the men here, but women please feel free to chime in.

Guys, do you feel funny being called a "Bride" as in being "married" to Jesus in eternity? I definitely love Jesus and God with all my heart and strive to do His will, but I can't get past the "guy being married to a guy" aspect of this thing in my mind. Does anyone else struggle with this? I know the Bible says we won't have gender in heaven, but still the angels are masculine obviously. Jesus is masculine, obviously, and so we will retain some sort of gender-identifying aspect of our former gender.

I realize I'm looking at this thing through human eyes and emotions and it will be totally different once I get there, but this is still playing tricks with my mind. I find myself more wishing I could be a wedding guest than a bride simply because I can't wrap my mind around being a masculine bride to a man (Jesus).

Perhaps the bride of Christ is really New Jerusalem as per Revelation 21:2 and we are all wedding guests. As a side note-question, what will be the things we do that establish which of us will be the bride from those who end up being wedding guests because of what they did here on earth, if indeed the New Jerusalem/bride is a wrong interpretation?

Funny, but I thought I was the only who struggled with the thought of men calling themselves the bride of Christ...I won't name names...-
Even the obvious is denied to women...

Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,069,043 times
I've never heard that term before.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:43 PM

8,830 posts, read 6,012,661 times
It's a collective thing, not an individual thing.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's a beautiful picture of what the relationship was meant to be between husband and wife in a marriage.
As opposed to what IS, sadly, judging from the number of divorces, affairs, and yes, even murders, beatings, and psychological abuse among Christian couples.

Perhaps God will give the abused ones a second shot. There are trillions of galaxies sitting empty out there that need to be populated. Maybe.......

Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,322,775 times
I want at least 10 kids in the Millenium.I love big families! maybe?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I want at least 10 kids in the Millenium.I love big families! maybe?
Ten????

You think too small, SC.

I want ten quadrillion, but this could only be accomplished with customized glorified bodies.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,322,775 times
of course, thrill! ::snickers::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity