Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
herefornow, that was rude, crude and insensitive. Don't hurt the little ETers feelings. Funny that they malign God and Christ by teaching such blasphemous b.s. as eternal torture in fire yet they put people on ignore for being rude.

Actually, I loved that! "I hear crickets." Gotta love it. I just wish you'd change your handle to "hereforgood."
Are you surprised you are on people's ignore list? It does not surprise me. Even the post above is very rude. It is also telling that every time you insult someone, all the other URs rush in to cheer you on and give you the thumbs up sign.

It is unpleasant to read posts like the one above. Very unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Eternal life would be eternal. But what is AIONIOS life?
It is life with unlimited duration: eternal life. Read post #3.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:27 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is life with unlimited duration: eternal life. Read post #3.
Thanks Finn_Jarber, why do you suppose that aionios could not be translated eternal in this verse:

Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Obviously eternity is an unending state. I would argue it is not only an unending state but eternity also means a state of no beginning. Thus eternity means "no ending" AND "no beginning" So how can aionios simply be brought down to such a finite point in time (as it is in the verse I provided) if it means eternity?

Old 12-04-2010, 09:45 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
So if you are right about that, then it comes down to which Greek scholars you choose to believe. Yours or mine.
First...I didn't realize that you're my senior in age. I do apologize for not taking this into account.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The devil is probably the best incorrect scholar I know of. He said:
  • "Did God really say ....?"
then he answered his own question:
  • “You will not certainly die,” (no, God did not say)
"Did God really say ....?"

People are thrown (not voluntarily go) into darkness..Matthew 25:30, Matthew 8:12

That false teachers have "Blackest darkness is reserved for them" 2 Peter 2:17 (indicating a more sever \ intense punishment )

About this darkness:
  • there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 2 Peter 2:17
  • the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever Revelation 14:11
  • unbelievers will drink the full fury of God's wrath in full strength Revelation 14:10
  • The devil and those decieved by him will be tormented for ever and ever Revelation 20:10
"Did God really say ...."
  • a person lives once and then judged
      • or what your scholars say
  • a person lives once and then if not a believer is then restored
"Did God really say.. " ---
" all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—" and
  • those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemnedJohn 5:28-29
      • or what your scholars say
  • those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be universally restored

You and many here are listening to scholars that are false teachers.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:57 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
trettep

Where would these verses fit within your thinkology

the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever Revelation 14:11
The devil and those decieved by him will be tormented for ever and ever Revelation 20:10

For the crowd that uses the YLT

and the smoke of their torment doth go up to ages of ages;
and they have no rest day and night,
who are bowing before the beast and his image,
also if any doth receive the mark of his name. Revelation 14:11
  • How long is ages [plural] of ages [plural]

the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone,
where [are] the beast and the false prophet,
and they shall be tormented day and night -- to the ages of the ages. Revelation 20:10

• how long is to the ages [plural] of the ages [plural]

Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
trettep

The devil and those decieved by him will be tormented for ever and ever Revelation 20:10

the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone,
and they shall be tormented day and night -- to the ages of the ages. Revelation 20:10

Why do you ask me?

Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
trettep

Let me answer your questions though. The phrase "ages of ages" would denote the rest of eternity. Plus we can see that is true. For the DEVIL can only be tormented if the Devil can no longer do his works - which is sin. So this verse is proof against an eternal torment of the wicked in a firey hell since in Eternal Torment the wicked are still considered to be in REBELLION against God. To be in rebellion is to be practicing sin. Therefore, in such a doctrine the Devil would NOT be in torment but would be performing his own works of sin. The only way the Devil can be in Torment is if the devil cannot do his works.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 AM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How many times are you going to bring up my name and claim I have not responded?????

I gave my opinion on the topic and added I have nothing further to say because we have had this old and tired discussion more times than I can count.

Eternal life is eternal. Period.
Knowing God is eternal life (John 17:3). People have to put on immortality (I Corinthians 15:53). But, you already know this, right?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:03 PM

309 posts, read 363,014 times
Quote:
trettep

Good question!! Let see if this can answer your question....

I have recently added this to my "Challenge" article. It will answer you question of...

"Where would these verses fit within your thinkology?"

Read it, and then YOU "TELL me what I am thinking".

Quote:
…………………..READER……………………..Thinking………………………….Greek Form

Mat 21:19………“age”……………………… “age, era, etc.”……………………“singular”

Mat 6:13………..“age(S)”……………….“2 or more ages”………………….“PLURAL”

Heb 1:8……“age of the age”………..“age contrasting age”………..“singular/singular”

Gal 1:5……“ageS of the ageS”…….“ageS contrasting ageS”……..“PLURAL/PLURAL”

Dan 7:18…“age of the ageS”……….“age contrasting ageS”………..“singular/PLURAL”

Eph 3:21….“age of the agesS”……..“age contrasting ageS”……….“singular/PLURAL”

Now, it would be NO surprise at ALL that YOU (or YOUR Men) do NOT like this TRANSLATION. Heck, you say we are “Preaching a doctrine of demons” because of it, but really that is okay though, you don’t have to like it. I, for one, don’t blame you, because I have believed (past tense) that same way you do, so I really REALLY do understand. (Most of US do).

Ok….YOUR TURN. Yep….Here is your chance to put us and OUR Men to shame. Your “Come Back” so to speak. You can use what ever noun you want, really….go ahead, any noun you want. I can even suggest some to you if you like. Here are a few……
  • era
  • tree
  • life
  • duck
  • time
  • car
  • pickle
  • FOREVER (as a NOUN)
  • ETERNITY
  • EVER
Pick one, or you can pick one that is NOT in the list if you would like. It is YOUR prerogative. Now go ahead and TRANSLATE those verses yourself, or even ask YOUR Men for help. There are a few RULES and QUESTIONS that need to be known though. The RULES are as follows……
  • Where the Greek shows a SINGULAR NOUN, then CONVEY this “singular” noun into YOUR translation.
  • Where the Greek shows a PLURAL NOUN, then CONVEY this “plural” noun into YOUR translation.
The QUESTIONS are as follows…

1. How long is an eternity? (hey…looky there….you guys ask us this one all the time)

2. How MANY eternities are there? (Prerequisite: Must KNOW answer to #1)

3. How can I convey to my Reader, that the Eternity in Question #1 is LONGER?

4. How can I convey to my Reader, that the Eternity in Question #1 is SHORTER?

Now repeat the SAME exact questions, but replace the word “Eternity” with the word “Forever”.
Now repeat the SAME exact questions, by replacing the word with the word “ever”.

You are the Translator now, ok? I will act as your scholar here. As you can see, your scholar has done most of the work here for you. I have given you the noun forms. And like you, YOUR Men think these references mean eternity also, so I put eternity into your thinking column already, to make it easier. Your assignment, after KNOWING the rules and the answers to the questions, is to now TRANSLATE the below scriptures. You just need to fill in the blanks...….Okay Go!

Make the……………………………....READER………………..…. THINK ………………by using these NOUN forms

Mat 21:19……………………………”_________ _”……………….“ETERNITY”………… ……. 1 Singular Noun

Mat 6:13……………………………..“________ __”……………….“ETERNITY”………… ………. 1 Plural Noun

Heb 1:8……………..“________and________”… ..……...“ETERNITY”………………….2 Singular Nouns

Gal 1:5………………“________and________” ………………“ETERNITY”……………… …..2 Plural Nouns

Dan 7:18……………“________and________” ……………..“ETERNITY”……………… .1st singular/2nd Plural

Eph 3:21…………………“_________________” ………..…“ETERNITY”………………… . 1st singular/2nd Plural

Now, if you did, indeed, pick either “eternity, forever, or ever” out of the list provided, then….ALAS! I am going to make another prediction here then.

The Prediction falls into either of THREE catagories…

1) You have found it pretty tough to even “CONVEY” the THOUGHT of ETERNITY to your READERS. And the reason for this is because you actually KNOW the rules NOW, and you also KNOW the answers to the questions.

2) Or ALAS!! Eureka!! You have done it. Congradulations! Now PAY ATTENTION: the only reason why you COULD do this, is because you do “NOT KNOW” the RULES and the Answers to the QUESTIONS. The fix to your problem here is to…..”Go to YOUR Men and Learn them”.

3) Or ALAS!! Eureka!! You have done it. Congradulations! Now PAY ATTENTION: the only reason why you COULD do this, is because you are NOT following what YOUR Men ALREADY KNOW.

Now I am going to SHOW you something here that you may not be realizing. Below, I am going to re-Paste something we have just seen, so the exercise will be easier. In this exercise you will need a piece of paper or just use your hand. This’ll be fun!

This paragraph you are NOW reading, scroll it to the TOP of your screen. Now, take your hand (or paper) and “just” COVER the whole noun forms column including header. Now, by reading the very next paragraph, find the answers to these questions(write answers down if you wish). Who is your scholar here? I did ‘what’ to your ‘what’ column? When were you to translated the below scriptures? Who is the Translator? You are translating to what, (hint: read column headers)? Now, how come you didn’t have to enter the words ‘eternity’ into you think column?

You are the Translator now, ok? I will act as your scholar here. As you can see, your scholar has done most of the work here for you. I have given you the noun forms. And like you, YOUR Men think these references mean eternity also, so I put eternity into your thinking column already, to make it easier. Your assignment, after KNOWING the rules and the answers to the questions, is to now TRANSLATE the below scriptures. You have to just fill in the blanks...….Okay Go!

Make the……………………………....READER………………..…. THINK ………………by using these NOUN forms

Mat 21:19……………………………”_________ _”……………….“ETERNITY”………… ……. 1 Singular Noun

Mat 6:13……………………………..“________ __”……………….“ETERNITY”………… ………. 1 Plural Noun

Heb 1:8……………..“________and________”… ..……...“ETERNITY”………………….2 Singular Nouns

Gal 1:5………………“________and________” ………………“ETERNITY”……………… …..2 Plural Nouns

Dan 7:18……………“________and________” ……………..“ETERNITY”……………… .1st singular/2nd Plural

Eph 3:21…………………“_________________” ………..…“ETERNITY”………………… . 1st singular/2nd Plural

Now, THAT my friend is pretty telling. If you wrote down your answers and read them in order, they should read something like this….
  • I, Joe, YOUR scholar, have “put” eternity into your thinking. So, NOW, you are “trying very hard” to translate and make the Reader (people) THINK of the eternity concept, because it was ALREADY in your thoughts to begin with.
Because, who put it there again? Yep “I” did. Yep, I TOLD you what to think. I manipulated your TRANSLATING. You are trying to CONVEY a thought that I, Joe, had planted in your head. You have to admit though, I DID tell you I was only “acting” as your translator, did I not?. And here is the real kicker people, in this whole exercise we haven’t even LOOKED at what the GREEK form tells us YET.

I will be honest here, at this point, I wouldn’t blame you for being a little upset with me here, because you may be thinking that I am being arrogant, or rude, or condescending. I kind of purposely did this to show you something.

If you don’t like what I did above, look at the chart again, and then get RID of what “I” put into your thinking column then, and “put” into there, what you think then. Fact is, with your beliefs, you are most likely to put the SAME thing BACK in there, right? I don’t blame you for being upset. I don’t like it when someont TELLS me what I am thinking either.

One of you, have probably caught a mistake that I had made earlier, right? You probably said something like… “No Joe, you are wrong, you stated that you would be “acting” as our Scholar, NOT our Translator”. Well, before I fix it, go back and read the exercises again, and I ask yourself this, “Who is REALLY translating here?” You or YOUR Scholar?

If you haven’t already, remove your hand (or paper), NOW look at what you and YOUR Men STILL see. Now ask yourself something very serious here. Are all the words “ETERNITY” or “FOREVER” or “EVER” (in YOUR thinking column) in the PLURAL form. Because the Greek blatantly TELLS you that at least SOME of them should be. Now thus far I have shown you two things…
  • YOUR Scholars TELL YOU (such and such)
  • The Greek texts TELL YOU (such and such)
Now ask yourself something here. How are you REALLY translating here? Are you TRANSLATING by what YOUR Scholars are TELLING YOU or by what the Greek texts are TELLING YOU.

After all that has been covered so far and after all that I have written. I have a really simple question for you and YOUR Men.

· If the best WORD that you can come up with to describe what you are THINKING is the word “eternity”, why, pray tell, are you NOT using that SAME word to CONVEY to others what you are THINKING?????? (which is ‘eternity’) I would REALLY like an answer to that.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 PM

309 posts, read 363,014 times
Still haven't seen that ONE Scholar though. We, most likely, never will, because the challenge has now brought THEIR Scholars over to OUR Side. And they dont want to "quote" anyone from OUR side, now do they?

Telling....very telling indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity