Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 10:54 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What are these major books ? and which ones contain teachings similar to that on the sermon of the mount ?
For starters, the "Golden Rule" often attributed to Jesus was around long before him, but stated this way:

"Do NOT do to others what you do NOT want done to you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 10:56 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
For starters, the "Golden Rule" often attributed to Jesus was around long before him, but stated this way:

"Do NOT do to others what you do NOT want done to you."
I refer you back to my last post that i edited, the teachings of Christ are actually in the Old Testament too.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:07 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
I refer you back to my last post that i edited, the teachings of Christ are actually in the Old Testament too.
I am not sure I follow you here. Are you saying that Jesus' teachings can be found in a book that was around BEFORE he was born or that there are Old Testament details that Jesus taught in the New Testament?

Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
This makes no sense, Eusebius. I am sure you will not the same credit to those in the Muslim community who claim the same thing about writing down what their holy prophet [allegedly] did and said, right?
The Quran is supposed to be a record of what Mohammed said. So it is supposed to be what he said. I don't know one way or another if it isn't so I take the Muslim's at their word that it is what he said.

Quote:
Just because someone took 'the pain' to write something down does NOT make it true. That is NOT evidence (of the truth) in itself. C'mon Eusebius!
Back then, with the cost of papyrus it wasn't just something someone did without first considering the cost. Of course it isn't evidence it is true. But why is it any less true than if Josephus wrote what He said and did if the person writing it is not an historian per se?

Also, Why would Josephus write much about Christ if he was an unbeliever? Being a Jew and wanting to make money selling his history books, maybe the Jewish leaders told him if he writes anything about Christ it will be the end of his career.

Quote:
And since I know this is a VERY popular Christian argument and I am sure it will pop up at some point in this thread, NO, NO, NO...just because people died for their beliefs does NOT mean what they died for was the truth. We have Muslims, Hindus and even Christians doing all kinds of damage to themselves and others throughout history for what they BELIEVE is the truth. That alone in itself does NOT make what they die for the truth or even worthy of other people's attention.
I would agree with you on that. Dying for a belief does not ensure that belief is true. But it does not mean the belief is not true either.

But still, getting back to Daniel's 490 years from the going forth to rebuild Jerusalem to the Messiah, Jesus did fulfill. That seventy sevens of years beginning in Nehemiah's day has come and gone. No one else can fulfill that prophecy. Therefore Jesus is the only One Who fulfilled it.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I am not sure I follow you here. Are you saying that Jesus' teachings can be found in a book that was around BEFORE he was born or that there are Old Testament details that Jesus taught in the New Testament?
and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 1 Cor 10:4.

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" John 8:58

Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 1 Cor 10:4.

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" John 8:58
Wow....Again using the bible to prove the bible is circular logic....it doesn't PROVE ANYTHING.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
What are these major books ? and which ones contain teachings similar to that on the sermon of the mount ?
I would also like to add, that within the Old Testament writings you will see the teachings of Christ . For example "He has shown you o man what is good, and what does the Lord require of you, but to love mercy and to do justly and walk humbly with your God".
Honestly, you are grasping at straws now....I, or anyone else for that matter, could pull any verse out of the bible and attibute it to Jesus, Mohammed, Buddah, Krishna, the Flying Spaghetti Monster and say it is their words....it certainly is ridiculous to say that this particular verse is the words of Jesus when there is no indication at all that it is...speculation does not make truth.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:00 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane
There are lots of OT details Jesus taught in the NT. Here is just one:
Mark 9:43-44 CLV And if your hand should ever be snaring you, strike it off. It is ideal for you to be entering into life maimed, rather than, having two hands, to come away into Gehenna, into the unextinguished fire" (44) where their worm is not deceasing and the fire is not going out.

Isa 66:24 And they fare forth and see the corpses of the mortals, the transgressors against Me, for their worm shall not die, and their fire shall not be quenched, and they become a repulsion to all flesh."

Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Wow....Again using the bible to prove the bible is circular logic....it doesn't PROVE ANYTHING.
So you said this in a reply to a question i asked you, in regards to what you believe

"And no, what I've said may seem similar to what is written in the Sermon on the Mount but it actually came from another holy book."

So only the holy book you read proves something ?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
So you said this in a reply to a question i asked you, in regards to what you believe

"And no, what I've said may seem similar to what is written in the Sermon on the Mount but it actually came from another holy book."

So only the holy book you read proves something ?
Apparently you missed the part where I said:

While there are many useful life lessons to be found in ALL of the holy books...ones that can be applied to the way we live our lives and interact with others in this world, I do not believe an accurate description of what the Source of ALL there is can be found in any of them.

ALL holy books are man made, and as such, they are fallible and filled with human concepts and ideas...some which are useful and can be utilized and some which are nonsense and should be discarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity