Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,921 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
here's a(nother) example of what evil our doctrines can create..
Crazy People Are Sure God Hates Elizabeth Edwards | CommonDreams.org

Peace to all,
Brian

Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,993 times
I think doctrines like that also draw the mentally ill, those people are crazy. I was wondering how to combat this? I am not for bans or laws but counter protests and publicity need to happen.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:01 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
here's a(nother) example of what evil our doctrines can create..
Crazy People Are Sure God Hates Elizabeth Edwards | CommonDreams.org

Peace to all,
Brian
Hi Brian. Doctrines are nothing more than teachings. The words are essentially synonymous. I see nothing wrong with doctrines focused on love, mercy, compassion and forgiveness. It's misguided doctrines that cause people to hate. And yes, go over the edge into crazyville.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:48 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hi Brian. Doctrines are nothing more than teachings. The words are essentially synonymous. I see nothing wrong with doctrines focused on love, mercy, compassion and forgiveness. It's misguided doctrines that cause people to hate. And yes, go over the edge into crazyville.
I suspect the focus of the OP is on rigid literalist dogma devoid of reason or "love for God and each other" . . . Katz.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
When I was on tour with a musical (The Buddy Holly Story) - we played Topeka, Kansas. We were warned before we got to the theatre that there would be protesters at the theatre. This particular group protested at every show that came to town. There weren't that many of them - and I have to say it was scary and pathetic all at the same time. There were maybe 10-15 of them - and most of them were children. They looked very poor and unkempt - and didn't sound very educated. They didn't make a very convincing group. You almost felt bad for them - but then you listened to what they were saying and you realized how scary it was that children were spewing such hate. I didn't realize this at the time - but they were the Westboro folk. My husband just brought them up yesterday because they were in the news - and he said, "You remember when they were picketing our show?" I had no idea that I had seen these crazies in the flesh! Oh - and there was also a small group of picketers that were picketing the Westboro group. All in all - there were only about 30 or so people - and it wasn't very loud or angry.
I can't believe all the media attention they have generated. They are a very small group. Well, I guess the sqeaky wheel gets the grease.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
When I was on tour with a musical (The Buddy Holly Story) - we played Topeka, Kansas. We were warned before we got to the theatre that there would be protesters at the theatre. This particular group protested at every show that came to town. There weren't that many of them - and I have to say it was scary and pathetic all at the same time. There were maybe 10-15 of them - and most of them were children. They looked very poor and unkempt - and didn't sound very educated. They didn't make a very convincing group. You almost felt bad for them - but then you listened to what they were saying and you realized how scary it was that children were spewing such hate. I didn't realize this at the time - but they were the Westboro folk. My husband just brought them up yesterday because they were in the news - and he said, "You remember when they were picketing our show?" I had no idea that I had seen these crazies in the flesh! Oh - and there was also a small group of picketers that were picketing the Westboro group. All in all - there were only about 30 or so people - and it wasn't very loud or angry.
I can't believe all the media attention they have generated. They are a very small group. Well, I guess the sqeaky wheel gets the grease.
They are a nutty crew, I saw them at the 2000 DNC convention in LA. They got an hour of stage time in the protest area, no one paid attention other than to mock them. I thought about talking to them but I could see they were insane.

As far as the media goes it is part novelty and part just trying to show what they would call Christians in a bad light.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
They are a nutty crew, I saw them at the 2000 DNC convention in LA. They got an hour of stage time in the protest area, no one paid attention other than to mock them. I thought about talking to them but I could see they were insane.

As far as the media goes it is part novelty and part just trying to show what they would call Christians in a bad light.
I don't even consider them Christians, to be honest with you. I know, I know - I'm the one that always says that if someone considers themselves to be a Christian - then I consider them a Christian. However, in this case - I see them as less of a religious group and more of a hate group. I wish the media would not give them any air time - they just don't deserve it.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't even consider them Christians, to be honest with you. I know, I know - I'm the one that always says that if someone considers themselves to be a Christian - then I consider them a Christian. However, in this case - I see them as less of a religious group and more of a hate group. I wish the media would not give them any air time - they just don't deserve it.
I agree 100%

Old 12-11-2010, 12:09 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times
It's so sad to see these kinds of acts done in the name of Christ. Hard to understand how they can twist the gospel of grace and peace into something so hideous. I just have to remind myself that there will come a day when such darkness will no longer blind the hearts of people. And I agree we should speak out against such contradiction to the love of God.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:09 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Fred Phelps and his martyr activist church do not represent Lord Jesus Church because there is no mercy in their heart for those who mourn, and the peacemakers of the children of God are absent, so as Jesus in Matthew 7:16-18.....``You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornburshes, or figs from thistles....Even so every good tree bears good fruit , but a bad tree bears bad fruit.... a good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit``.............. Pray Father This group of people who condemn the political idealist in your name are corrupting the view of Christianity, which will corrupt the spread of the gospel with false activision through a legalism ideas........ Father I ask forgiveness for their sin and abass the evil spirit behind these errors..... I take our judgement away against these people a plead the Blood of Jesus over these areas in Jesus mighty name.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity