Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:27 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
That is why it is splintered because people are more concerned with oneupmanship instead of prayer and meditation.
Then doesn't that seem insufficient. God only leaving us with something that doesn't completely work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Then doesn't that seem insufficient. God only leaving us with something that doesn't completely work.
Actually it does completely work if everyone does their part but how often do you want to do something but dont? Or how many people are 100% truthful in their worship?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,155 times
I agree that that is human nature. But God knows our nature. He must have figured that into the equation. If not, God must be happy with the minority of the minority of the people will know the full truth. But I don't think he'd do that.

Though to be fair, I don't think the scripture interprets scripture.

Last edited by DNick; 12-16-2010 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: EDIT:

Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 AM

267 posts, read 297,012 times
Quote:
I agree that that is human nature. But God knows our nature. He must have figured that into the equation. If not, God must be happy with the minority of the minority of the people will know the full truth. But I don't think he'd do that.

My understanding of scripture interprets scripture is that the message of the Bible is homogeneous, God's inspired message. I believe God did give people the keys to unlock it's message. He taught us to study it daily and place it in our hearts.

There is no silver bullet of " inspired by Holy Spirit". The Holy Spirit does not swoop in and say, "I know God said to study daily but we are going to skip all that, I am just going to give you the power to interpret everything". I think that "view" is the nature of most of the conflict over the meaning of the scriptures. Most of the Bible does not require interpretation, the themes and principles are supported by the consistency of the entire message. Even if you have 2-3 scriptures that seem to agree, but you find another that disagrees, you cannot just "interpret" that disagreement away. It means you go back to the desk and study some more.

If we have the dedication and discipline to follow God's direction the concept of Sola Scriptura (not the man made doctrine) is enough to understand God's message.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 AM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Oh sorry, long day, Jesus said man does not live by bread alone but by every word of God, and where do we find the word of God? The Bible, which is the only canonized or recognized Word of God.
::Sigh:: Jesus must get awfully tired of His believers treating Him as if He was dead and as if His Holy Spirit was not available to guide us. Canonization is a HUMAN man-made decision, Robin. Only Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit is the Source of the LIVING Word of God, period.
Quote:
Yes there are other books and scriptures that are good for teaching but they all also are found wanting and therefor did not make the cut.
Did not make the man-made cut!

Old 12-22-2010, 12:14 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,027 times
Quote:
Oh sorry, long day, Jesus said man does not live by bread alone but by every word of God, and where do we find the word of God? The Bible, which is the only canonized or recognized Word of God. Yes there are other books and scriptures that are good for teaching but they all also are found wanting and therefor did not make the cut.
RESPONSE:

I think you may find some Mulims and Mormons that disagree with you.

Who decided on what went into the canon?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 PM

Mystik you claim to follow the workings of the Holy Spirit yet you reject the Bible or at least portions of the Bible. Do you not beleive that others thru out history could be led by the Holy Spirit. Canon wasnt an invention it was discovered, you dont think the Spirit could have done this. If you will notice the book that were rejected actually conflict with the OT, which you do not agree wit yourself.

I trully wish you would open yourself to the truth of wisdom rather than the cage of knowledge.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:

He did and does. What we think doesnt matter but what He says does.

Scripture interpriting Scripture guided by the Holy Spirit thru our study, prayer, meditation, and faith. Too often we are to prideful to acknowledge that we dont know something and try to use oneupmanship to make ourselves sound like we know what we are talking about and that is the sin of pride.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:05 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Mystik you claim to follow the workings of the Holy Spirit yet you reject the Bible or at least portions of the Bible.
You have got to stop taking my rejection of YOUR beliefs about what the bible says . . . as if it was a rejection of the bible! I do NOT reject any of it . . . I properly divide it and interpret it spiritually with the "mind of Christ" and the guidance of His Holy Spirit within.
Quote:
Do you not beleive that others thru out history could be led by the Holy Spirit. Canon wasnt an invention it was discovered, you dont think the Spirit could have done this. If you will notice the book that were rejected actually conflict with the OT, which you do not agree wit yourself.
Anything that conflicts with the "ignorant primitive savage understanding" of the OT should be revered. Our ancestors were wrong about the nature of God, period. God has none of the human weaknesses they ascribed to Him . . . NONE!!! You are free to believe in such a weak unloving God . . . but I know better.

I hate to sound arrogant . . . but my certainty about the nature of God is absolute and I don't abide ignorance well . . . especially when it is deliberate and revered as a sign of faith. I encountered the undeniable and unambiguous TRUE NATURE of God at the height of my atheistic arrogance. Those who think I am arrogant in my theism have not the slightest conception of how arrogant I was as an atheist!!! In the truest sense of the words . . ."God humbled me!" So count yourselves lucky.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 12-22-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have got to stop taking my rejection of YOUR beliefs about what the bible says . . . as if it was a rejection of the bible! I do NOT reject any of it . . . I properly divide it and interpret it spiritually with the "mind of Christ" and the guidance of His Holy Spirit within. Anything that conflicts with the "ignorant primitive savage understanding" of the OT should be revered. Our ancestors were wrong about the nature of God, period. God has none of the human weaknesses they ascribed to Him . . . NONE!!! You are free to believe in such a weak unloving God . . . but I know better.

I hate to sound arrogant . . . but my certainty about the nature of God is absolute and I don't abide ignorance well . . . especially when it is deliberate and revered as a sign of faith. I encountered the undeniable and unambiguous TRUE NATURE of God at the height of my atheistic arrogance. Those who think I am arrogant in my theism have not the slightest conception of how arrogant I was as an atheist!!! In the truest sense of the words . . ."God humbled me!" So count yourselves lucky.
So this is you...humble......sorry, couldn't resist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity