Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Thanks, Mystic.
One other thing just came to mind, in regards to the OP:
what happens when the Bible gets in the way of your faith?

Well, seeing that the early church (which was "on fire for the Lord") didn't even have a Bible at all, I'd say, just stick to your faith!!
God will do the rest, because He is Spirit and He will work out all things in your heart.
What we need is Spirit, not "Bibleanity" as you accurately call it..!

The Spirit is essential; the bible is not.
The Spirit will teach you all things that have been written; the bible will not give you the Spirit.

Blessings,
brian

I completely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I completely agree.
'Morning Sparrow!
I got up early enough today to "catch" you before you go to bed!

Blessings,
Brian

Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
'Morning Sparrow!
I got up early enough today to "catch" you before you go to bed!

Blessings,
Brian

I'm a night owl..err..sparrow.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Thanks, Mystic.
One other thing just came to mind, in regards to the OP:
what happens when the Bible gets in the way of your faith?

Well, seeing that the early church (which was "on fire for the Lord") didn't even have a Bible at all, I'd say, just stick to your faith!!
God will do the rest, because He is Spirit and He will work out all things in your heart.
What we need is Spirit, not "Bibleanity" as you accurately call it..!

The Spirit is essential; the bible is not.
The Spirit will teach you all things that have been written; the bible will not give you the Spirit.

Blessings,
brian
"Walk in the Cool of the Day, not the book of the hour."

Old 12-16-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"Walk in the Cool of the Day, not the book of the hour."
I like that!

If only we could set our doctrines and creeds aside, like so many chains and walls that bind us..!

Blessings,
brian

Old 12-17-2010, 04:32 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
God sends no one to hell. we send ourselves to hell if that is where we end up. We have free will. God gave us free will and He won't take it away---then it would no longer be free will, it would be something else. God does not want anyone to end up in hell but he lets us make that choice.

Go to heaven or go to hell---that is the ultimate free choice we all have.
Couldn't he give another choice? Whoever wants to go to heaven can go. Just leave the rest of us alone on earth to live our lives. Continue leaving us with a CHOICE.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Couldn't he give another choice? Whoever wants to go to heaven can go. Just leave the rest of us alone on earth to live our lives. Continue leaving us with a CHOICE.
If everyone automatically went to heaven, then there'd be nothing to argue and condemn others for!!

Blessings,
Brian

Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Why is he on your case ?.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM

351 posts, read 355,204 times
Originally Posted by janelle144
God sends no one to hell. we send ourselves to hell if that is where we end up. We have free will. God gave us free will and He won't take it away---then it would no longer be free will, it would be something else. God does not want anyone to end up in hell but he lets us make that choice.

Go to heaven or go to hell---that is the ultimate free choice we all have.

I have heard this many times that people sent themselves to hell. That is like saying a criminal sends themselves to prison. They are not there willingly. They did commit the acts that got them sent to prison but they were forced them by men with handcuffs and guns. So if someone is sent to hell he did not go willingly but must be because God sent him there. People say God does not send people to hell because they want to let God off the hook. God does not want to be off the hook, he is resonsible for all his creation and knows what he is doing.

Having said all that I do not believe in hell , but in UR. however if you do believe in hell at least be consistant. I believe, and know that God will save all his children.

janelle 144 talks about free will without defining it. If free will is making choices, we all do that, but if free will is making uncaused choices none of us do that. If all choices are caused than that is the only choice we could have made. It seems like we have free will but that is an illusion. Many places in the Bible talk of God directing man steps, and the fact that God works in us to do his will and his good pleasure. We want to believe that we have free will and that is one of the "idols of the heart" that is hardest to give up. One of the things that make it the hardest to give up is that we do make the choice, but it is the only one we could have made under those circumstances and at that time. If you don't think God controls his creation at all times you undermine God's authority. God know exactly what to do to acceive his desires.

On a side note some people have sent me messages to be friend or something. I am not a real savey computer guy so I did try to respond but am not sure it it went through. If not I apoligize. I will keep trying Thanks

Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 AM

351 posts, read 355,204 times
See I don't know how to call up someone else message in the grey block and then responds underneath it. If anyone wants to help sent me the info> Also what is OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity