Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times

Advertisements

[quote=Verna Perry;17028980]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Repeat!
You say that we should set our affections on "things above" but you cannot tell me what things they are, because you do not know. If you knew what these heavenly things were, you would be able to tell me. But you cannot do it!

I hope you can be specific Verna... Otherwise it has no value, especially to others.
How can you tell someone about these "heavenly things" and "following Christ" if you cannot talk specifically??

Blessings,
brian[/quote]...all I have left to say on this matter to you Brian is this...it is a place where all things are in unity with the Father...in their proper order, where we might see the Rock of Ages, and the Joys of Heaven...all in their proper colors...sprinkled in the blood of our Lord and Saviour.

May God Bless you in your understanding Brian.

This is truly something you will have to seek and find for yourself Brian.

In Christ's love,
Verna.
Verna,
Well, I can say that I already feel the love of God in my heart, and to me, that love is the Kingdom of God. I think for you it's something different, and that's fine by me. It's just that you don't seem to be able to talk about it in detail.

It's good to learn exactly what the heavenly things are that we read about in the Scriptures. Paul encouraged us to know what they are, and to be ready to give an answer when others ask. After all, our desire is that people will ask us what we mean by "living as Christ does," and if we cannot tell them exactly what that Life is, then our words will ring hollow.

Just a thought..

Blessings to you,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 01:27 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Repeat!
You say that we should set our affections on "things above" but you cannot tell me what things they are, because you do not know. If you knew what these heavenly things were, you would be able to tell me. But you cannot do it!

I hope you can be specific Verna... Otherwise it has no value, especially to others.
How can you tell someone about these "heavenly things" and "following Christ" if you cannot talk specifically??

Blessings,
brian
The things above came to earth. The word became flesh and dwelt amongst us.

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed,to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."
Luke 4:18-19

Old 12-16-2010, 01:37 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
[quote=ahigherway;17029277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post

Verna,
Well, I can say that I already feel the love of God in my heart, and to me, that love is the Kingdom of God. I think for you it's something different, and that's fine by me. It's just that you don't seem to be able to talk about it in detail.

It's good to learn exactly what the heavenly things are that we read about in the Scriptures. Paul encouraged us to know what they are, and to be ready to give an answer when others ask. After all, our desire is that people will ask us what we mean by "living as Christ does," and if we cannot tell them exactly what that Life is, then our words will ring hollow.

Just a thought..

Blessings to you,
Brian
I have told you Brian. Why you don't receive the words that I've been given in answer to you as an answer...only God knows.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM

[quote=Verna Perry;17029460]
Quote:
I have told you Brian. Why you don't receive the words that I've been given in answer to you as an answer...only God knows.
Verna,
The words you've "been given" are not answers at all!

If someone asks me: "what life's like in Italy?" and the only answer I ever give them is, "oh, it's wonderful!!!" -- then I haven't answered at all.

I have a feeling we're talking past each other..

Blessings,
Brian

Old 12-16-2010, 02:56 PM

910 posts, read 1,337,641 times
Quote:
Thank you Marlbron. Your respectful response has truly blessed my heart. It means so much.

Yes. I understand your struggle. It is our sinful nature that controls the wicked thoughts of our mind. If we allow it, it will lead to our death. I am praying for your deliverance Marlbron, that you will receive by faith, knowledge of the truth in Christ, which is to obey the commandments of God. That through repentance, in the Spirit of Christ, you will focus your thoughts on the Spirit which leads to life everlasting. Amen.

Romans 8:6 "The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;..."

God Bless you.

In Christ's love,
Verna.
thanks, am in awe! What from your experience is your particular gift of the spirit? eg some have prophecy, others have healing, etc but its still the same Spirit of god operating

Old 12-16-2010, 03:48 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
thanks, am in awe! What from your experience is your particular gift of the spirit? eg some have prophecy, others have healing, etc but its still the same Spirit of god operating
I believe that I have been given the gift of exhortation. I am an encourager, a lifter-up of heads...a prayer warrior. Now, some, who do not understand where I am coming from may, "gasp!" or "choke" or "mock" or "sigh" or "yawn" at that...but it is true. It is what I do best...it is what is in my heart to accomplish in others...to lift them up and encourage them in the LORD...this takes knowing the truth, and standing solidly strong in it...and not be intimidated or manipulated into swaying away from that truth to appease the ears of those who are listening. God's blessing is always upon this conversation.

When I am approached by others...I always have time for them...even if I don't, I make the time. I know the Lord has sent them to me. The conversation is always filled to overflowing with the Spirit of Christ right in the center. He speaks, not me.

In 1988, the Lord gave me this passage...and it has withstood the test of time...I know it was for me then...and it is still for me now...

Isaiah 50:4 "The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught."

...and He certainly has...and I most certainly do!

Only He knows where He will take me...wherever that is...I am willing. I truly love people...I am sensitively bold, and have a deep compassion for them and their hurts and concerns...and at the same time, I am no pushover, and will rebuke sin and wickedness in a heartbeat.

God Bless you Marlbron. I will remember you in my prayers dear soul...I promise.

In Christ's love,
Verna.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I believe that I have been given the gift of exhortation. I am an encourager, a lifter-up of heads...a prayer warrior. Now, some, who do not understand where I am coming from may, "gasp!" or "choke" or "mock" or "sigh" or "yawn" at that...but it is true. It is what I do best...it is what is in my heart to accomplish in others...to lift them up and encourage them in the LORD...this takes knowing the truth, and standing solidly strong in it...and not be intimidated or manipulated into swaying away from that truth to appease the ears of those who are listening. God's blessing is always upon this conversation.

When I am approached by others...I always have time for them...even if I don't, I make the time. I know the Lord has sent them to me. The conversation is always filled to overflowing with the Spirit of Christ right in the center. He speaks, not me.

In 1988, the Lord gave me this passage...and it has withstood the test of time...I know it was for me then...and it is still for me now...

Isaiah 50:4 "The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught."

...and He certainly has...and I most certainly do!

Only He knows where He will take me...wherever that is...I am willing. I truly love people...I am sensitively bold, and have a deep compassion for them and their hurts and concerns...and at the same time, I am no pushover, and will rebuke sin and wickedness in a heartbeat.

God Bless you Marlbron. I will remember you in my prayers dear soul...I promise.

In Christ's love,
Verna.
That's more like it!

Blessings Verna!
Brian

Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
So it means you are living above anger, hate, discrimination, lust, fornication, smoking, drunkenness, lying, envy, murder, and all other sins?
Smoking? What version of the Bible are you reading?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Smoking?

Yes, there should be a warning on tobacco saying "Use of this product causes burning in hell"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity