Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times

Advertisements

Before one can ‘rightly divide’ (interpret) Bible passages (focus of the ‘How to read the Bible’ thread), it’s important to know how to read and study the overall Bible. (Simply starting at the left and reading right … isn't really adequate for the Bible.)

1). Starting: I often advise people to start with the book of John, or whatever book seems to address their immediate concern. An important initial objective is to get people to realize that the Bible is a ‘book of life’, not just a novel or a history book.

2). Understanding: Scripture is understood by building 'precept upon precept.' When we don’t understand scripture, we should seek out the answers elsewhere in God's Word.

3) ‘Digging down into the Bible: (Navigating the multiple levels)
1). What does it say? (the words, historical context and meaning)
2). What does it mean? (the Spiritual context; What does God want man to understand?)
3). What does it mean to me? (How does this specifically apply to my life?)
4). How should I respond? ('Study Bibles are good; 'Work' Bibles are better -- How will I apply God's truth to my daily life?)

What have you learned about how to read and study scripture? … Care to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 07:10 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Default Use the "mind of Christ" . . . NOT Jehovah.

The most important thing you can do to make the Bible understandable and USEFUL for instruction in righteousness is to read it in the CONTEXT of the TRUE NATURE of God revealed by Jesus. God is pure Love . . . no negative human emotions or motives of any kind. God does not change . . . but our understanding of Him should have once we knew Jesus. Do not retain the primitive ignorance of our ancestors' beliefs about Jehovah. Only Jesus knows the mind of God and He revealed it to us as the "mind of Christ" by His UNAMBIGUOUS example and teachings. We are to strive for a pure "love of God and each other" . . . not a corrupted one by fear and belief in ET or Annihilation.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The most important thing you can do to make the Bible understandable and USEFUL for instruction in righteousness is to read it in the CONTEXT of the TRUE NATURE of God revealed by Jesus.
A HUGE AMEN.

1) The knowledge of the Holy begins with God Himself. Who and what He has said about Himself is the standard.

2) All else must conform to #1.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:42 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
The most important thing you can do to make the Bible understandable and USEFUL for instruction in righteousness is to read it in the CONTEXT of the TRUE NATURE of God revealed by Jesus. God is pure Love . . . no negative human emotions or motives of any kind. God does not change . . . but our understanding of Him should have once we knew Jesus. Do not retain the primitive ignorance of our ancestors' beliefs about Jehovah. Only Jesus knows the mind of God and He revealed it to us as the "mind of Christ" by His UNAMBIGUOUS example and teachings. We are to strive for a pure "love of God and each other" . . . not a corrupted one by fear and belief in ET or Annihilation.

I truly could not have said it better, Mystic.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:45 PM

2,067 posts, read 2,161,612 times
Quote:
Two thumbs way up!!

Yes, indeed, if we follow exactly what Jesus did and allow our souls to be awakened and open to receive the Divine Love of our Father, then we will eventually have the "mind of Christ" as he did and it can happen now to each of us, just as it did with him. No doubt, many of you here are receiving His Love already as I am, but if you haven't yet, keep praying and never give up because it will surely come with your earnest and heartfelt soul longings. Blessings.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:57 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Another way is the character of the Lord must be studied through out a believers life to find righty divided truth into the scroptures, and if you have a wrong view and discover the truth than keep this revelation and hold fast to your confidense to the Lord....... There are many views from people of the Lord that need to be revised..There are views of the devil that need to be revised... some would say that God is evil and war character and he loves more than the scriptures say.... Many people believe he hates the people in disasters, and he sends disasters to war, tornados, earthquakes and hurricans , famine, to judge people, were it all God fault and he is in control and using scripture out of context to discern wrongly dividing the Word ,...... Rejecting the truth behind the veil of the spirit for the truth of the Word.......I used to go to church were it was preached every meeting, you can hate you neighbour as your self but not your neighbour in your own church , and used scripture to prove it , but never told what Jesus said in the good samaritan about your neighbour from Luke 10: 25-37

Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Before one can ‘rightly divide’ (interpret) Bible passages (focus of the ‘How to read the Bible’ thread), it’s important to know how to read and study the overall Bible. (Simply starting at the left and reading right … isn't really adequate for the Bible.)

1). Starting: I often advise people to start with the book of John, or whatever book seems to address their immediate concern. An important initial objective is to get people to realize that the Bible is a ‘book of life’, not just a novel or a history book.

2). Understanding: Scripture is understood by building 'precept upon precept.' When we don’t understand scripture, we should seek out the answers elsewhere in God's Word.

2). What does it mean? (the Spiritual context; What does God want man to understand?)
4). How should I respond? ('Study Bibles are good; 'Work' Bibles are better -- How will I apply God's truth to my daily life?)

I'm more inclined to tell people not to focus too much on the Bible. There are millions of people (and I mean "millions") who talk and study bible until the cows come home, and they're no different than other people. Some are perhaps worse.

Listening to the Spirit of Love is much more important, imo. The early believers had no bible and they went joyfully to the execution block for Christ.

If I had to suggest a book to read, I'd suggest 1 Cor. 13. And probably little else.

Blessings,
Brian

Old 12-18-2010, 06:03 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
When I first got "saved",I started out reading the NT...but,EVERYTIME I read the BIBLE,I would pray first and ask the LORD to give me insight and wisdom into what I was reading...over time I was then able to read through,go back and study and delve more into the history of things going on during the time the scripture was written,different translations,commentaries etc...IMHO it is the LIVING word and everytime you STUDY,you will see/learn something new that pertains to your life at hand.PRAYER before each reading is the key for me to understand.

I do not trust a preacher in the least for my studying and believe nobody should depend on one for the pure word....YOU are responsible,so YOU should study for yourself and as you do you will grow closer to GOD and closer to understanding.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
It seems many here choose to read the Bible with a preconceived mind about what God might and might not do. They have already dediced what they believe and nothing they read will change their minds. It is much better to read the Bible prayfully, and with an open mind. The excommunication scenario is a good example, where people have their own opinon of the issue, and even when they are shown otherwise in clear Bible verses, they refuse to believe it because their minds are already made up about it, and nothing will change it.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:31 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

We can't understand any of God's message unless He gives us the ability to. The scriptures are the Word of God and God used the earthly to teach us of the Heavenly. Those not given to understand will focus on the earthly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity