Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:22 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times

Advertisements

The tree reminds us of Jesus
  • The tender plant/sapling ... Isa 53:2
  • The tree of life ... Revelation 22:14
  • Through a tree the sins of all were paid 1 Peter 2:24
** Many of our churches that use a real Christmas tree will use the same tree trunk to form a cross on Good Friday **
The ornaments reminds us that Jesus is the "precious stone"
  • 1 Peter 2:4
    As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him—
  • 1 Peter 2:6
    For in Scripture it says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”
  • 1 Peter 2:7
    Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, “The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone, ”
The lights on the tree remind us that Jesus is the light of the world
  • John 1:9
    The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.
  • John 9:5
    While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”
  • John 12:46
    I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.
The lights on the tree also reminds us Jesus how he fills the universe and promises us we will shine like the stars
  • Ephesians 4:10
    He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.
  • Philippians 2:15
    so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe
The presents under the tree remind us of the wise men
  • Matthew 2:11
    On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him.
    Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh.
The presents under the tree remind us of the spiritual gift of faith
  • Ephesians 2:8
    For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—
  • 1 Corinthians 14:12
    So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.
  • Romans 12:6
    We have different gifts, according to the grace given us.

Last edited by twin.spin; 12-19-2010 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The tree reminds us of Jesus
  • The tender plant/sapling ... Isa 53:2
  • The tree of life ... Revelation 22:14
  • Through a tree the sins of all were paid 1 Peter 2:24
** Many of our churches that use a real Christmas tree will use the same tree trunk to form a cross on Good Friday **
The ornaments reminds us that Jesus is the "precious stone"
  • 1 Peter 2:4
    As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him—
  • 1 Peter 2:6
    For in Scripture it says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”
  • 1 Peter 2:7
    Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, “The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone, ”
The lights on the tree remind us that Jesus is the light of the world
  • John 1:9
    The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.
  • John 9:5
    While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”
  • John 12:46
    I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.
The lights on the tree also reminds us Jesus how he fills the universe and promises us we will shine like the stars
  • Ephesians 4:10
    He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.
  • Philippians 2:15
    so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe
The presents under the tree remind us of the wise men
    On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him.
    Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh.
The presents under the tree remind us of the spiritual gift of faith
  • Ephesians 2:8
    For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—
  • 1 Corinthians 14:12
    So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.
  • Romans 12:6
    We have different gifts, according to the grace given us.
I don't know if the trees remind me of Jesus, but the season itself is certainly special, and I wish it lasted all year long!

May all people this Christmas come to know how much God loves them!

Blessings,
Brian

Old 12-19-2010, 12:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Stop this quote mining business, fellas.

The tree is a pagan symbol and has no business with Jesus or Christianity.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:56 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Stop this quote mining business, fellas.

The tree is a pagan symbol and has no business with Jesus or Christianity.
Abandon your carnal thinking Tony . . . physical objects do NOT have any intrinsic meaning. Meaning only exists in those using the objects.
They mean what WE believe they mean today. No one today is associating them with paganism except pagans.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Even as a very young child, and yes, thinking there was a god (I can't say "believing" exactly as I never really "felt" it but I explained that in another post), I always, always associated the Christmas tree with life going on during the winter. I have never thought "Jesus" looking at a decorated Christmas tree.

I always looked at my Christmas tree and felt like we were going to make it through another winter, that we could take what *was* still living (like evergreens) and make them beautiful and that we would live through the cold and the snow just like they did. It gave me so much hope because the winter was so cold and it seemed soooooooooo long.

I remember thinking these things when I was teeny-tiny. I have always thought of Christmas as a time to celebrate that we were going to survive the winter, and do it with joy, at that. I did and still do think of the tree as something that's "seasonal" but I don't ever think of Jesus. Even as a preschooler I didn't think there could have been evergreens around the stable at Jesus' birth. In fact, putting the two together just plain seems weird to me. I do love the season, BTW! I think most north-of-the-equator cultures have some sort of celebration at this time of year and that it's to keep us chipper and going strong when times are tough. I love everything "Christmasey" but I have to admit that NONE of the things that I love could possibly have anything to do with Jesus.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:35 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
"A fool sees not the same tree a wise man sees."

-William Blake (1757-1827)

Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
The idea of having a Christmas tree came from German immigrants to America. Like the song "Silent Night"...also written by a German.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:11 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Christmas tree are as symbol of the trinity as a trangle points: father, son, and Holy Spirit........ The tree also repesent the evergreen and everlasting life ....... See the world can come up with many ideas against Christmas and say these customs are evil , ..... But celebrating Jesus birth during this dual Holiday of Christmas will bring Honor to the Lord ...... Another story in the Bible is in 1 Kings 5:6 and 10... About Christmas trees brought to Jerusalem for Solomon temple of the Lord God ...``Now therfore command thou they hew me cedar trees out of Lebanon ``....``So Hiam gave Solomon cedar trees and fir tree according to all his desires``..... These evergreen trees went into the Temple were The Lord Spirit of Christ rested.....

Old 12-19-2010, 04:19 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Abandon your carnal thinking Tony . . . physical objects do NOT have any intrinsic meaning. Meaning only exists in those using the objects.
They mean what WE believe they mean today. No one today is associating them with paganism except pagans.
I don't know any pagans who celebrate Christmas with the symbols Christians use to celebrate Christ coming in flesh, at this season. Christmas: "All the symbols are belong to us".

Old 12-19-2010, 04:24 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,572 times
As to those who do not want Christmas, well; methinks the spirit of the white witch of Narnia has seduced them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity