Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:13 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

I was having a conversation with my brother the other night about ET, Annihilation and UR. In the course of the conversation I said that only in Revelation 14 and 20 and nowhere else in the Bible did the scriptures specifically say men would be tormented by fire forever. Notice I did not get into other words Jesus and other writers used elsewhere such as "punished" and "go into" which are much more general terms and which do not give the exact nature of the punishment i.e. "torment, pain, suffering, burning, torture". No, I was sticking strictly to the latter group of words when I referred to torment.

Question: Was I wrong on that account? Are Revelation 14:10-11 and 20:10 the only places in the Bible where it specifically states that men will suffer, burn, agonize, be in torment forever---excluding the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, which has nothing whatsoever to do with eternal torment?

Question 2: If we are to take what Revelation 14 and 20 says literally, then aren't these verses reserved for an infinitesimal number of humans existing in the last 3 1/2 years of the Tribulation----a number so small in fact in comparison to the hundreds of billions of people who have ever lived on this earth and who never had the foggiest clue what the beast and the mark and 666 were (much less had the opportunity to accept or reject it) that it doesn't even warrant consideration to suggest that all those hundreds of billions of people who have already died will be subjected to the same kind of torture that the people who take the mark will receive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 05:15 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
In Matthew 25: 41..``Then shall he say also unto them on the right hand Depart from me you cursed into everlasting fire preparred for the devil and his angels``....... In Isaiah 66: 22-24..... and Daniel 12:2 .. there is scripture for eternal judgement for the lost people of the world.in Old Testament........Revelation 14: 10 will happen at this second comming of Jesus Christ when he comes and bring renewal to the earth for the thousand year reign..............Revelation 20:10 will happen after the thousand year reign after the devil is released back into the earth and the wars of Gog and Magog camp around the saints and the Lord devoured them who came after the saints right before the great Judgement .... Which will be a sad time for the Lord Jesus who will have to reject his creation in Revelation 21: 4...`` A God will have wipe away all tears from their eyes``.. and you can be sure He will have to wipe away all the tears from his eyes............

Old 12-19-2010, 05:32 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I was having a conversation with my brother the other night about ET, Annihilation and UR. In the course of the conversation I said that only in Revelation 14 and 20 and nowhere else in the Bible did the scriptures specifically say men would be tormented by fire forever. Notice I did not get into other words Jesus and other writers used elsewhere such as "punished" and "go into" which are much more general terms and which do not give the exact nature of the punishment i.e. "torment, pain, suffering, burning, torture". No, I was sticking strictly to the latter group of words when I referred to torment.

Question: Was I wrong on that account? Are Revelation 14:10-11 and 20:10 the only places in the Bible where it specifically states that men will suffer, burn, agonize, be in torment forever---excluding the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, which has nothing whatsoever to do with eternal torment?

Question 2: If we are to take what Revelation 14 and 20 says literally, then aren't these verses reserved for an infinitesimal number of humans existing in the last 3 1/2 years of the Tribulation----a number so small in fact in comparison to the hundreds of billions of people who have ever lived on this earth and who never had the foggiest clue what the beast and the mark and 666 were (much less had the opportunity to accept or reject it) that it doesn't even warrant consideration to suggest that all those hundreds of billions of people who have already died will be subjected to the same kind of torture that the people who take the mark will receive?

The Greek word translated as "tormented" in revelation is "Basanizos" ... And the literal meaning of the word is "to test". And of course we have already been over what the true translation of "eis tous aionas ton aionon" is. It means literally "unto the ages of ages", and not "forever and ever" ...

Yes, the testing will be painful, in as much as it is painful when we come to recognize the error of our ways and are filled with shame and remorse ... As to the exact nature of the testing(which is symbolized by refining fire) no one can say for certain ...

Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In Matthew 25: 41..``Then shall he say also unto them on the right hand Depart from me you cursed into everlasting fire preparred for the devil and his angels``....... In Isaiah 66: 22-24..... and Daniel 12:2 .. there is scripture for eternal judgement for the lost people of the world.in Old Testament........Revelation 14: 10 will happen at this second comming of Jesus Christ when he comes and bring renewal to the earth for the thousand year reign..............Revelation 20:10 will happen after the thousand year reign after the devil is released back into the earth and the wars of Gog and Magog camp around the saints and the Lord devoured them who came after the saints right before the great Judgement .... Which will be a sad time for the Lord Jesus who will have to reject his creation in Revelation 21: 4...`` A God will have wipe away all tears from their eyes``.. and you can be sure He will have to wipe away all the tears from his eyes............
Recall, please hljc, that I specifically mentioned the words, "torment, agonize, suffer, writhe in agony", or anything similar. Matt. 25 just says they will go into everlasting punishment. It is not for us to speculate what form this punishment takes.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The Greek word translated as "tormented" in revelation is "Basanizos" ... And the literal meaning of the word is "to test". And of course we have already been over what the true translation of "eis tous aionas ton aionon" is. It means literally "unto the ages of ages", and not "forever and ever" ...

Yes, the testing will be painful, in as much as it is painful when we come to recognize the error of our ways and are filled with shame and remorse ... As to the exact nature of the testing(which is symbolized by refining fire) no one can say for certain ...
Thanks for that input, Ironmaw. I was looking more toward just strictly whether there are any other places in the Bible where it specifically states that sinners will be "tormented or tortured in fire for eternity.

As an aside, itn't it interesting that that there is not one verse in Revelation that is purely literal, yet at the mention of the Lake of Fire we are expected to believe suddenly that John switches to a literal lake of fire?

Isn't it also interesting that this lake is never mentioned once anywhere else in scripture?

Old 12-19-2010, 06:56 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
As an aside, itn't it interesting that that there is not one verse in Revelation that is purely literal,
Why do you say there is not one verse in Revelation that is purely literal? Of course there are some that are.

Quote:
yet at the mention of the Lake of Fire we are expected to believe suddenly that John switches to a literal lake of fire?

The second death is literal.

Quote:
Isn't it also interesting that this lake is never mentioned once anywhere else in scripture?
Yes, that is interesting.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Why do you say there is not one verse in Revelation that is purely literal? Of course there are some that are.

The second death is literal.

Yes, that is interesting.
>>>>>Why do you say there is not one verse in Revelation that is purely literal? Of course there are some that are.

Well, yes, there are. I didn't mean "literally" that there are no literal verses. I just meant that 99.9999% of Revelation is symbolic/metaphoric.

>>>>The second death is literal.

I'm a believer in annihilation, so yes, I believe in the second death. Whether it occurs in a literal lake of fire is something I wouldn't bet the farm on, knowing how symbolic Revelation is.

By the way, Eusebius, do you know of any verses outside of Revelation that specifically says sinners will be tormented forever in fire and not just punished?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:49 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:

It just doesn't get said any better than this.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:27 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
It just doesn't get said any better than this.
Amen! Ditto!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 AM

hmm....and I had such high hopes for this thread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity