Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Wrong person, but the same outcome---truthfully what does it matter if John Patmos is comparing Jesus to Hitler or Stalin?

Chew on that..........if you dare.....(ooooooooooooooo!)
What matters is accuracy ... which false teachers and the deluded conveniently overlook.

Fortunately sound doctrine is easy to identify if would know their Bible and not be so flippant about whether it matters or not ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
thrillobyte,

We will never understand Revelation if we keep applying the physical to Genesis 1-4.
We will never understand Genesis if we don't stop being Greek, and dive into the Hebrew mind and culture from 4000 - 1500 BC. Simple as that. After that, Hellenism has seeped in and distorted the ancient writings, the ancient cultures, and the overall ancient Hebrew mindset. Everything in Revelation has everything to do with the beginning. I know you ascribe to Preterism in some way...come over to DID and ask questions. We are tackling this to the very core.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
I have ignored revelaton for years.

It is sure a good idol for millions of Christians though.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:50 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post

Yes, I would say that much of what is said today about Revelation is based on man's carnal understanding and hearsay, not any personal revelation of the Spirit. That's why there is still so much darkness.

Jesus also told people that only the wicked and adulterous look for signs. That is perhaps because it's easier to look for an outward God than an inward God. As long as God remains at a distance, the pagans can do all their feigned worship and long speeches and prayers in ease.

But when they are finally shown God within them, in their heart, oh! Now we have come to Zion, the place of True Worship, True Religion, and the True Voice of the Living God!

"Know ye not that Jesus Christ is in you?"

blessings,
brian

Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
thrillobyte,

We will never understand Revelation if we keep applying the physical to Genesis 1-4.
We will never understand Genesis if we don't stop being Greek, and dive into the Hebrew mind and culture from 4000 - 1500 BC. Simple as that. After that, Hellenism has seeped in and distorted the ancient writings, the ancient cultures, and the overall ancient Hebrew mindset. Everything in Revelation has everything to do with the beginning. I know you ascribe to Preterism in some way...come over to DID and ask questions. We are tackling this to the very core.
Thank you for the link, sciotamicks. It looks intriguing. I will check it out tomorrow as it is midnight now. And you're right. I'm at least a partial preterist, especially now more than ever, having had my eyes opened to the complete fallaciousness of Revelation, and how unscrupulous ministers and "men of God" have used it to promote their own nefarious agendas (including tons of moola, filthy lucre, and let's not forget....$$$$$$$$ money! )

Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt I will ever be seeing anything in Revelation unfolding.
Then it is pretty sad then because the book of THE Revelation OF Jesus Christ, was written TO you. It is a book of overcoming, perseverence, and victory in and through Jesus Christ, before, during and after.

Quote:
It's been what.... two thousand years now, when John Patmos assured his readers about a half-dozen times that "the time is near" or "...at the door."?
Jesus says He is at the door and the door is open that no man, who doesn't deny Jesus' Name and KEEPS HIS WORD, can shut. For those who do not do these? The door WILL SHUT....
Well, ask yourself this: When IS Jesus AT THE DOOR? 3:20. Well, I personally believe Jesus IS ALWAYS AT the DOOR....3:8

Does this have to be in a time frame spanning thousands of years, or is this written TO YOU?

Quote:
Two thousand years doesn't sound near or at the door to me. Does it to you?
In the span of time relevant to known time, it is, but a drop in the bucket of ALL the oceans.

Quote:
Revelation is pure bunk and if you took the time to peruse the two links I provide you'd be having your doubts about it's divine inspiration too.
Sadly, you will be missing out on the wonders that make up Revelations, because it is Jesus REVEALING HIMSELF TO JOHN, not John revealing some made up vision of Jesus. Think of it like the book of Isaiah. It is the written history of past, present, and future culminated in a book that cannot be rewritten to suit one's agenda. Why? Because ONLY the Spirit can reveal it and thus interpret it. To the others? It is a fairy tale because of the metaphors and grand characters. How could one rewrite this? And, it comes with a warning to those who try. 22:18-19
And if you are missing out on this revealing, you are missing out, period IMO.

Quote:
But it's in people's nature to refuse to buck the trend and strike out on their own to really find the truth.
How can you say this, when you have posted links? You are not striking out on your own, you have taken the words of men over God!! If you want the Spirit to reveal Revelation to you, spend time in the Spirit and ask. He WILL give it to you.

Quote:
That's why fraud, greed, and heresy is so rampant in the Church today.
That is only a partial reason why this is so. It is also a reason why movies gross billions of dollars on Sci-fi futuristic adventures. People like the drama and fear involved in what they do not know. And the future is something they don't know, but only can imagine. So, preachers do add to the book, or take away. They make up their own doctrines, because men's hearts run faster when they are excited about the unknown. And yes, even the elite have used this for their OWN agendas, which is why Israel, which is NOT Israel, became a state again.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 AM

910 posts, read 1,337,641 times
Quote:
Sound startling?

Consider that:

Also that:

Also this:

I've been onto this fraudulence book for quite some time now and have been studying it's history, it's authenticity, it's harmonization with the other 26 books of the NT and have come to the conclusion, as have other scholars, that

But don't take my "biased' opinion as gospel. Read:

Revelation-101 lists theological problems in this prophecy

and

WHY THE BOOK OF REVELATION IS HERESY

if you dare............(oooooooo!)
OP,

Perhaps it may be better for you to state the verse or chapters you do not understand so that the Holy Spirit will explain through some of us that understand. Peace and blessings!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM

I started reading Revelation at the age of 18. Twenty years later I had no more a concept of what John Patmos (who is NOT John the Apostle--throw that misconception away) was trying to say than when I started. I listened to and read hundreds of ministers who wrote on Revelation---Van Impe, Lindsey, Kirban etc and all of them had a different take on it. What they all did seem to agree on was that it was sure-fire money-maker, judging from their sales numbers.

But all this is beside the point. Personally, Revelation holds no meaning for me because, as a preterist, I believe it was written to the audience of Nero's time and has absolutely no relevance to any subsequence generations. It's a giant ***-saw puzzle that thousands of Christians and non-Christians love to spend their time trying to assemble. The only problem is that everyone who assembles it gets a completely different picture, and no two pictures ever remotely resemble each other. Does that sound like "inspired" biblical writing to you? It sure doesn't to me. That's when I began to sniff around the history of Revelation and, honestly, was not surprised at its shady origins. But that's me. The primary focus of my OP was to draw to readers' attention many aspects of it that, under a theologian's microscope, show it be something totally different from what people generally perceive it to be today. And there are a few inquiring mind here who want to get past the scandal-stained Revelation status-quo and to the real truth of it. I hope my OP has helped.

PS Thank you, Miss Blue.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 12-21-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post

You're wise to ignore it, hilgi. Has it contributed one iota to your growth as a Christian, or has it just tied you into endless mental knots with its totally incoherent gibberish?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
You're wise to ignore it, hilgi. Has it contributed one iota to your growth as a Christian, or has it just tied you into endless mental knots with its totally incoherent gibberish?
Well you know what the Bible literalists would say to that.....you're not reading the Bible through the Holy Spirit. You should be able to understand that incoherent gibberish and the understanding should equal fundamentalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity