Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:49 PM

530 posts, read 902,616 times

Advertisements

Yes, he was blind the whole time. That movie was so good. So much faith - I thought they did a great job of portraying faith, the faith walk and dependance on God. It was "just a movie," but a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I thought he had been blind before, but got his vision back, but now I just read the plot here The Book of Eli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it seems that he was blind all along.
I disagree, there was no "revealing" that Eli was blind.....if he was then he sure had accurate aim for a blind man!! Think about the arrows he shot at the two guys raping Solara....and the gunfights. No, no no, whoever wrote that on Wikipedia is wrong. Seriously, God sent a blind man on a mission to find the only Bible left, and it just happened to be in braille??? Or he sent a sighted man on a mission to find the only Bible left, which unfortunately was written in braille and Eli had to learn braille? Which is it? I think I need to write to the writer!!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:56 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I disagree, there was no "revealing" that Eli was blind.....if he was then he sure had accurate aim for a blind man!! Think about the arrows he shot at the two guys raping Solara....and the gunfights. No, no no, whoever wrote that on Wikipedia is wrong. Seriously, God sent a blind man on a mission to find the only Bible left, and it just happened to be in braille??? Or he sent a sighted man on a mission to find the only Bible left, which unfortunately was written in braille and Eli had to learn braille? Which is it? I think I need to write to the writer!!
The Wikipedia thing says his blindness did not become apparent until they were in Alcatraz. I'd have to see the last 10 mins again.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:58 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Corrrection here.....Eli WAS NOT blind, watch the movie again. The fact that the book was in braille had nothing to do with anything.....it was "the voice" that led him to the only bible that had survived, it just happened to be in braille. I thought it was ironic, however, that Gary Oldman's girlfriend just happened to be blind. The Flash Dance chic. I don't know where Phaze got that Eli was blind....must not have really watched the movie. The fact that Eli had it memorized means he knew braille, not that he was blind! How in the world could he do what he did if he was blind?
That's what I thought too - I didn't realize he was possibly blind the whole time until I was reading some reviews and synposis of it later on and they said that was the "big twist" revealed at the end - that he was blind the whole time; I guess I missed it! I do have to watch it a second time. Maybe over the holidays I'll get around to it.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
The Wikipedia thing says his blindness did not become apparent until they were in Alcatraz. I'd have to see the last 10 mins again.
Yeah me too! I'll be sure to pay attention to how the heck a blind man could do all the things he did....must of missed something. I keep thinking of the arrow he shot through the bird in the air....how does a blind man do that? I'm thinking maybe he was legally blind, but still had some sight. Good grief, I know it's just a movie but how bizarre is this?

Old 12-23-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
That's what I thought too - I didn't realize he was possibly blind the whole time until I was reading some reviews and synposis of it later on and they said that was the "big twist" revealed at the end - that he was blind the whole time; I guess I missed it! I do have to watch it a second time. Maybe over the holidays I'll get around to it.
I've seen it twice now and I want to see it again. It might be one that I have to add to my very small collection. That's quite a twist, I don't usually miss things like that and to me they didn't make it clear enough. The whole "is he blind", "how does he read a braille bible".....just too many loose ends and questions. Now if they were going to throw in a "twist" they needed to make is darn clear like you know.....The Sixth Sense or something. Now that was a twist but there was no question that Bruce was dead!! I had to go back and watch it again though, and conversations he supposedly had didn't take place like you originally thought....another great movie.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:37 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
He walked by Faith, not by sight! He was blind in the eyes from the get go.

Even a good gunslinger don't have that kind of aim.

Merry Christmas you all.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:34 PM

Yeah okay......that's some kinda faith that allows a blind person to shoot birds right out of the sky with an arrow. But, what can I say, I still believe he was only legally blind.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 PM

553 posts, read 1,544,996 times
Quote:
I thought he had been blind before, but got his vision back, but now I just read the plot here The Book of Eli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it seems that he was blind all along.
My son and I have been arguing about Eli being blind since the first time we saw this movie. And we've seen it about 10 times since. I still think he was blind, because he had perfected his other senses, such as hearing and smelling. My son argues that he wasn't blind at all. If you notice from the very beginning he smells, feels and listens to everything all the time. I'm glad other people thought the same thing as I did.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 PM

553 posts, read 1,544,996 times
Oh, and just a little side step....who loved Bram Stoker's Dracula? That's one of my favorite Gary Oldman movies. And when I saw The Book of Eli had both Gary Oldman and Tom Waits in it, I loved it even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity