U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,726,212 times
Reputation: 58197

Advertisements

Yeah it's just a movie, but I think it's awesome. Tell me what you think. Thank you for keeping me resolute when all else around me seemed lost. Where will you go? Home. Thank you for the friend I made, please watch over her as you have watched over me. Thank you for finally allowing me to rest, I'm so very tired. I fought the good fight, I finished the race, I kept the faith.

Hulu - Movie Trailers: The Book of Eli - Trailer
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 PM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,389,985 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yeah it's just a movie, but I think it's awesome. Tell me what you think. Thank you for keeping me resolute when all else around me seemed lost. Where will you go? Home. Thank you for the friend I made, please watch over her as you have watched over me. Thank you for finally allowing me to rest, I'm so very tired. I fought the good fight, I finished the race, I kept the faith.

Hulu - Movie Trailers: The Book of Eli - Trailer
It was a cool movie... I didn't quite realize the twist at the end until I read some other synopsis of it...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,726,212 times
Reputation: 58197
It really is a good movie, I could watch it a million times and not be sick of it. But I love science fiction so it's right up my alley, and with the One two punch of religion thrown in there it ranks high on my list.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 PM
 
10,160 posts, read 10,499,911 times
Reputation: 3011
I just watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. But then I really love these post-apocalyptic movies. The last one I watched was "The Road" but there was nothing spiritually themed in that one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
823 posts, read 1,078,096 times
Reputation: 167

Eli: People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people now kill each other for now.

Interesting how he traded some KFC wet naps and a Zippo lighter for a recharge on his iPod battery.

Eli’s whole life, since the “flash” has been his dedication to God and the mission God has sent him on. No matter what kind of darkness man makes for himself (or herself) God sends us a way through it and a person to lead. Like all Biblical Hero’s Eli gives his all to see that God’s people receive His message. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was inspirational.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Colorado
554 posts, read 1,301,693 times
Reputation: 943
We really loved "The Book of Eli" too! The religious twist added a "passion" to it if you will. I saw the movie just because I'm a huge fan of Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis and of course Denzel. My son just wanted to see it because of the post-apocalyptic theme. Neither one of us really knew anything more than that when I picked it up off of the shelf at the movie rental place.

It really took us by surprise with the darkness and hopelessness of it all. As the characters unfolded, we were given a glimpse of hope. Maybe if faith was given a tiny chance, just maybe you'd be strong enough to survive something like that. That's what Eli showed me.

And yes, we both liked seeing stuff blow up and Eli hunting a "Sphynx" cat. The cannibal couple was entertaining too. The choice Eli and Solara had to make quickly..which evil was worse? Stay in the house with people that want to eat you after they might save you from the bad guys? Or just go face the bad guys directly? Ha! Awesome. And the few remarks about people really stinking in the future. Most people didn't even know what shampoo was. It's the little things, right?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,726,212 times
Reputation: 58197
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I just watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. But then I really love these post-apocalyptic movies. The last one I watched was "The Road" but there was nothing spiritually themed in that one.
Yeah even if you don't get the spiritual theme it's just a kick butt movie.If you like sci-fi, that is.

[quote]Excellent quote!! That one stuck with me too.

Quote:
Interesting how he traded some KFC wet naps and a Zippo lighter for a recharge on his iPod battery.
Seriously, he bathed with those wet naps!!

Quote:
Eli’s whole life, since the “flash” has been his dedication to God and the mission God has sent him on. No matter what kind of darkness man makes for himself (or herself) God sends us a way through it and a person to lead. Like all Biblical Hero’s Eli gives his all to see that God’s people receive His message. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was inspirational.
That's what struck me the most, his undying loyalty and the fact that he had the entire Bible memorized. Without giving away too much of the movie I agree that it was inspirational. And not impossible.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 04:49 AM
 
3,553 posts, read 4,364,236 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I just watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. But then I really love these post-apocalyptic movies. The last one I watched was "The Road" but there was nothing spiritually themed in that one.
Yea, I am a big movie buff. The Book of Eli was intense, and the plot was awesome. I loved the part when Gary said he needed the words of the book to rule over the other towns. Go figure! That is what the religious do today.

AS far as The Road is concerned, it is filled with spiritual themes. The boy was pure, without sin. His father kept him from the world, even when it became almost necessary to tell him of the bad, he held on to the good. Like giving to others in need, when they had little to give. Like going the last mile for the ones you love.

I enjoyed this movie as well, but with both movies, cannibalism was hard to watch. I know it happens, even when things get really bad, and this is evidenced by what happened in Jerusalem 70AD,,,but still. I cannot imagine being forced into this situation, where the only hope is to eat one another.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,377 posts, read 31,721,160 times
Reputation: 9381
There was unnecessary violence, like the fight in the bar, where he kills a couple of dozen people. But it was good nonetheless.

Was he blind himself, or had he been blind previously and God restored his eyesight? I didn't quite get that part.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,670,857 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There was unnecessary violence, like the fight in the bar, where he kills a couple of dozen people. But it was good nonetheless.

Was he blind himself, or had he been blind previously and God restored his eyesight? I didn't quite get that part.

He was blind the whole time, that is why towards the end the book he was carrying that got taken was in braille and the bad guy in the end could not read it and the other girl refuse to tell him what it said.

Eli had memorized the whole thing and read it back to the ones in the city who wrote it all down.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top