U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
 
3,335 posts, read 1,365,481 times
Reputation: 920

Advertisements

The first death is death to the self. The sin nature.

If you die in your sins, you are at risk of the second death.

If you overcome sin through Christ, you have no more death.

Overcoming sin through Christ, is the self (sin) dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Pike Road, Alabama
4,852 posts, read 3,212,576 times
Reputation: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
The first death is death to the self. The sin nature.

If you die in your sins, you are at risk of the second death.

If you overcome sin through Christ, you have no more death.

Overcoming sin through Christ, is the self (sin) dying.
Agreed...for when one overcomes (gets control of) their egoic/carnal nature and evolves consciously to the highest level...one will realize that there is no such thing as "death"...so the dying of ones physical form is just that...what we truly are lives on just in a different form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM
 
3,335 posts, read 1,365,481 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Agreed...for when one overcomes (gets control of) their egoic/carnal nature and evolves consciously to the highest level...one will realize that there is no such thing as "death"...so the dying of ones physical form is just that...what we truly are lives on just in a different form.
Physical death is overcome through living the teachings of Christ.
It is the last enemy to step down.

"I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die." John 11:26.

Many have tried to explain these simple words away as something they are not.

Take the words as they are. They are life. Even Life Eternal.

For those that have ears to hear. The spirit has spoken them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
35,883 posts, read 13,026,041 times
Reputation: 4469
You asked, and I will answer: second death is hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM
 
9,502 posts, read 5,163,121 times
Reputation: 1038
God revealed that when a believer died physically..it also was refered to as "sleeping" or "fallen asleep" but when the unbeliever dies it is "death"
That "death" is all together different from the common physical death experience
  • I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."
  • I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways !
There is a reason why Jesus addressed this more than any other one subject. For if there was opportunity for eternal life beyond physical death God would not have revealed "they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways ! "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 AM
 
3,335 posts, read 1,365,481 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
God revealed that when a believer died physically..it also was refered to as "sleeping" or "fallen asleep" but when the unbeliever dies it is "death"
That "death" is all together different from the common physical death experience
  • I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."
  • I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways !
There is a reason why Jesus addressed this more than any other one subject. For if there was opportunity for eternal life beyond physical death God would not have revealed "they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways ! "
Then why do so many professed Christians keep dying.

If you believe in Him and live, ye shall "Never" die. Never see death.

He laid His life down, so we don't have to. Though we keep seeing death, not too many true followers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 01:52 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 1,771,881 times
Reputation: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I want to know what the Spirit has led you all to believe this is. The Spirit has just given me a nugget as to this, but I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Please, no links! I want what the Spirit has led you to, not what some man or woman has influenced.

Rev 2:11
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Rev 20:6
Blessed and holy [is] he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Rev 20:14-15. I included both verses, as some believe the definition is verse 15, NOT 14

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Rev 21:18
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.


Please, let us be respectful. I give my word I will not argue about this. In fact, I shared with a new brother this morning, and he gave me exactly what the Spirit had led me to, which confirmed my spirit.
I agree that we all take part in a second death. Believers abide in Christ who has taken that death upon himself. We as believers are deemed crucified in this existence. Dead to the flesh and alive to the spirit. In the world but not of the world. We are to be sojourners here realizing we are not of this world but just passing through. As Christ followers we are to live as a living sacrifice. The future is something to look forward to. This is the opposite of those that "dwell on the earth" the unbelieving. The scriptures point to them having their portion. All that aren't Christ's are deemed a forgotten element in existence. This is the second death.

All go through the second death. As believers we should be undergoing this now as we hide in the cloak of Christ. All that aren't in Christ will have to pay for their transgression. As scriptures point out, this is the Lake of Fire Gehenna. Different than Sheol/Hades which is generally considered geocentric to the earth, Gehenna is a place altogether different eternally separated from creator of the universe. Totally void of all the good that he provides that we take for granted in our current existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 1,365,481 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
I agree that we all take part in a second death. Believers abide in Christ who has taken that death upon himself. We as believers are deemed crucified in this existence. Dead to the flesh and alive to the spirit. In the world but not of the world. We are to be sojourners here realizing we are not of this world but just passing through. As Christ followers we are to live as a living sacrifice. The future is something to look forward to. This is the opposite of those that "dwell on the earth" the unbelieving. The scriptures point to them having their portion. All that aren't Christ's are deemed a forgotten element in existence. This is the second death.

All go through the second death. As believers we should be undergoing this now as we hide in the cloak of Christ. All that aren't in Christ will have to pay for their transgression. As scriptures point out, this is the Lake of Fire Gehenna. Different than Sheol/Hades which is generally considered geocentric to the earth, Gehenna is a place altogether different eternally separated from creator of the universe. Totally void of all the good that he provides that we take for granted in our current existence.
Then there are no Overcomers? Why are they mentioned in Revelation?

The Overcomers, aren't hurt by the Second Death. The Second death has no power over them.

What is to Overcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 PM
 
7,611 posts, read 2,758,875 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You asked, and I will answer: second death is hell.
Which is cast into the Lake of Fire, no more dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 4,463,983 times
Reputation: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You asked, and I will answer: second death is hell.
So you believe that hell is cast into itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top