U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:58 PM

2,535 posts, read 1,969,059 times

Advertisements

I searched for this one and couldn't find a previous post on it. Just curious what people think about Life groups a/k/a small groups. In general, what is the purpose behind these groups? Do they promote discord?

I am looking for feedback regarding experiences in them either your own or someone you know who has attended. I googled it but could only find church sites that market them but I would rather hear from the masses. Your input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 02:41 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,763,184 times
All sorts of groups can be cultish. Our problem in humanity is that we are constantly trying to divide in order to separate the wheat from the chaff, but only Christ can do that because we all have two natures.

When I saw this Facebook page,
Welcome to Facebook
I thought of your thread because I believe that Julian Assange quite simply longs for God to finish the work of bringing corruption to an end.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:18 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,290,498 times
It depends on who "controls" the group. There is usually a denomination behind the group that "monitors" for good behavior. But in reality, it is the Spirit that should guide us, not a denomination.

Blessings!
brian

Old 12-25-2010, 04:51 AM

8,106 posts, read 7,077,151 times
I was in a couple of groups for a short time , they called them prayer groups , and cell groups , through the church were I go , Some the teaching that the leader taught was from a apostle group who had learning programs who gave licences for the Pastors to have wedding and funerals , but they seem to not last a long time before they close them down and move to other things, .... Some cell groups could go into evangelism or outreach, or mens and womens and youth groups ........ There are some small groups who come into being by break away groups from church by divisions against their former chuches but that kind of small group must quickly forgive the former churches or demons can come in and bother their unforgiveness, but the Lord will bless these break away groups and help them build a new church or HIS purpose.....

Old 12-25-2010, 06:27 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,763,184 times
Interestingly, Jesus resisted joining a group. And he slipped away from crowds for one on one time with his Father. Organized groups have a way of making me feel like someone is after me with a net....

The good man is perished out of the earth: and there is none upright among men: they all lie in wait for blood; they hunt every man his brother with a net. Micah 7:2

Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Interestingly, Jesus resisted joining a group. And he slipped away from crowds for one on one time with his Father. Organized groups have a way of making me feel like someone is after me with a net....

The good man is perished out of the earth: and there is none upright among men: they all lie in wait for blood; they hunt every man his brother with a net. Micah 7:2
But what is your take on it? Have you been to one of these? What was your experience like? Or do you know someone who has attended and their feedback? I am trying to gain understanding so that I don't walk into a situation that I am not prepared for. I guess I am looking more for personal experiences w/life, family, small groups whether positive or negative. Thanks for your input though

Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I was in a couple of groups for a short time , they called them prayer groups , and cell groups , through the church were I go , Some the teaching that the leader taught was from a apostle group who had learning programs who gave licences for the Pastors to have wedding and funerals , but they seem to not last a long time before they close them down and move to other things, .... Some cell groups could go into evangelism or outreach, or mens and womens and youth groups ........ There are some small groups who come into being by break away groups from church by divisions against their former chuches but that kind of small group must quickly forgive the former churches or demons can come in and bother their unforgiveness, but the Lord will bless these break away groups and help them build a new church or HIS purpose.....
Hmmm... seems you had a positive experience in them? I am not sure I understood all of what you wrote towards the end there but I can get what you mean I guess. Seems like the groups you went to were more like social groups giving people something to do?

Last edited by lookup138; 12-27-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
It depends on who "controls" the group. There is usually a denomination behind the group that "monitors" for good behavior. But in reality, it is the Spirit that should guide us, not a denomination.

Blessings!
brian

Ok, I understand. I guess it boils down to understanding the church's philosophy and mission thus determining how they operate these groups. I guess?

Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,840,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
I searched for this one and couldn't find a previous post on it. Just curious what people think about Life groups a/k/a small groups. In general, what is the purpose behind these groups? Do they promote discord?

I am looking for feedback regarding experiences in them either your own or someone you know who has attended. I googled it but could only find church sites that market them but I would rather hear from the masses. Your input is appreciated.

I like small groups when they are of real friends who really care, or who practive what they preach in terms of being willing to be friends with new comers and such. Groups of those who can take that you might disagree with the conclusion of the lesson or teacher of the group.

Good luck finding one.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM

987 posts, read 909,033 times
Others can give you their opinions on anything, but it really comes down to the experience YOU will have with the group YOU meet with. Circumstances are different for everyone in every situation. I went to several different types of small groups with the Church of Christ, from Bible school classes to parties, to Wednesday night groups, even to cell groups, also women's study groups. Most of the adult groups would have some gripe and vent sessions, but usually had some productive aspects also. The cell group was headed by an elder from the church who kept the meeting pretty much on track with the planned agenda. Usually some Bible reading and light discussion and a round robin for ideas for outreach, whether invitations to the community to participate in activities at our church, etc. For awhile, most of the area churches hosted homeless families/individuals for a week at a time but that ended, not sure why.

It was a fairly positive experience for me, especially to get to know people a bit better. I would suggest you just go to one or two of your choice. In my church, participation was voluntary at all times and so attendance at one doesn't require continued participation. Of course, if you start volunteering for responsibilities, you should fulfill them, so I would just mostly listen the first visits and get the idea of what the groups are really all about.

I hope you have some good experiences with your foray. If you have good leaders and open minded members, there should be opportunities to express differing viewpoints without undue negative feedback. Myself, I would not stay long in a group that didn't allow any differing opinions, but some people like to be told what's right or wrong with no shades of gray.

Wishing all an inspiring new year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or