Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Consider yourself fortunate then not to have had hellfire and damnation thrown at you three times a week. At the end of each service there was a tearful solemn moment as the preacher asked the unbaptized ones (or the ones baptized in another church) to come forward and repent and have their sins "washed away" in full immersion. Children and vulnerable adults would tearfully rush to the preachers outstretched arms in fear of eternal torment.

...then on many occasions the elders and preacher would decide if that person was eligible to be "saved"
Miss Blue, are you a universalist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:34 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
U mind elaborating on that point real fast?
I can make a point about this, I was at a pentacostal church here locally and this particular church (not sure about pentacostals in general) believed that you would go to hell if you did not speak in tongues because speaking in tongues was a sign that you were filled with the holy spirit and of course you cannot be saved unless you are filled with the holy spirit.

They made a statement about someone and declared them not saved because they deemed their "speaking in tongues" not acceptable. You could not just tell the leadership of this church you were saved, you had to demonstrate it to them by speaking in tongues in a manner they decided was acceptable.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You do not get to judge the hearts of believers and declare there is hate is their hearts. I cant' speak for everyone, but the believers I know do not have hate in their hearts, and I have no hate in mine.
Finn_Jarber, I don't expect those that love their hate to say they have hate in their hearts. But on the contrary, to say they don't have hate in their hearts.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
Christ also said that He knows His sheep by name, and that the sheep know Him by the sound of His voice. The latter part suggests, to me at least, that He identifies which sheep are His and which are not by whether or not they also know and recognize Him. In that case, then God will not allow even one of His sheep to be lost; however, it would appear that the sheep that are only His. Christ also mentioned that in the end time that God would separate the sheep from the goats, the crops from the weeds. The sheep, the crops would be with the master. The goats would be led to the slaughter and the weeds will be burned up.

If you are asking if I think God enjoys seeing people in hell, then the answer is no. I don't. But I am simply going off what Scripture has shown to me.

By the way,

Hi...haven't seen you on the forum before.
Hi Nero, beleive it or not I knew that was the response I was going to get. But read the scripture concerning who the lost sheep are. They are the SINNERS. And if Jesus loses the soul of one SINNER then He is the one who suffers the loss.

He did not come to save the rightous, but the SINNER.

The SINNER is the lost sheep

Oh I am around once in awhile now, I use to be here alot but it was taking away from my own studies so I backed off a little.

Nice to meet you.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:43 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Miss Blue, are you a universalist?
I don't attach a label to myself, other than a believer and follower of Christ, but do not and never have believed in the hellfire/damnation doctrine

Christ called his followers "friends"

Old 12-28-2010, 08:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Finn_Jarber, I don't expect those that love their hate to say they have hate in their hearts. But on the contrary, to say they don't have hate in their hearts.
That's pretty ugly. Let's leave the judgment to God, shall we.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Finn it's not necessarily judging, but discernment. How do you discern ? , by listening to what we are saying .Out of the abundance of the heart the mouths speaks.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I don't attach a label to myself, other than a believer and follower of Christ, but do not and never have believed in the hellfire/damnation doctrine

Christ called his followers "friends"
Understood and very pleased to hear that.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Jesus said to judge righteous judgement. He never said not to Judge. After all, if someone has Christ Jesus in their heart then He is their guide, I'm sure such a heart can judge righteousness.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Finn it's not necessarily judging, but discernment. How do you discern ? , by listening to what we are saying .Out of the abundance of the heart the mouths speaks.
Yes it is. Even if you truly think people around you are haters and a liars, it is best to keep it to yourself unless you want everyone to see that you harbor something other than love yourself. Or maybe it is good to throw it out in the open where it is exposed, and maybe then you will see it yourself and correct it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity