Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:17 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,545 times

Advertisements

How Did Jesus Become God

Interestingly enough, I started a thread in April of 2009 right here on C-D that basically stated some of the same things mentioned in this article. See below:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...comes-god.html

I know none of this will settle well with those who have made up their minds (despite the evidence), but for those who are interested, take a read. It really does make a lot of sense and interestingly enough, if one realizes that in the early years there were Christianities as opposed to Christianity, with different sects within the community holding different views or that the religion evolved over time before it was centralized and allowed to develop core, accepted doctrines regarding the person of Jesus, then so much mystery is cleared up.

Enjoy and your thoughts, rebuttals and agreements are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,958,660 times
I didn't think it was very fantastic.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,309 times
This is similar to something I have been contemplating and observing in friends and aquaintences that is along these lines.

If I understand the article correctly it is building a case for spiritual resurrection being the metaphoprical value of the biblical story of Christ. I can see how this would be rejected by many since I have come to a recent conclusion that people worship the image of a man on earth rather than the spirit in which Christ represents.

Rather than seeing LOVE grow in someone as evidence of a "born again" experience, many seek to convince others that being born again is believing in a story with specific characters and labels.

I have seen friends be born again as they learn to let go of their past and know how to love again as they might have as a child, these people would never be accepted as "saved" in a church, but they certainly are because their demons are gone.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I didn't think it was very fantastic.
Eusebius, you're already at the table with a made up mind, steeled in subjective "belief" rather than what the OBJECTIVE evidence shows so your reply is no surprise. Your belief might make you warm and fuzzy inside but it does not change the observed facts.

I understand because you read your bible horizontally as we often do with books, believing that it is a story book with a beginning a middle and and end as opposed to the idea that there are different books to be read vertically, sometimes expressing conflicting views and ideas. This is no more true than in the Gospels and Acts.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
This is similar to something I have been contemplating and observing in friends and aquaintences that is along these lines.

If I understand the article correctly it is building a case for spiritual resurrection being the metaphoprical value of the biblical story of Christ. I can see how this would be rejected by many since I have come to a recent conclusion that people worship the image of a man on earth rather than the spirit in which Christ represents.

Rather than seeing LOVE grow in someone as evidence of a "born again" experience, many seek to convince others that being born again is believing in a story with specific characters and labels.

I have seen friends be born again as they learn to let go of their past and know how to love again as they might have as a child, these people would never be accepted as "saved" in a church, but they certainly are because their demons are gone.
Interesting.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 AM

271 posts, read 355,548 times
Jesus is a great "man " and "prophet"

Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth light View Post
Jesus is a great "man " and "prophet"
For his time he probably was, but I'll stop at "man" and leave the 'prophet' part.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:07 AM

271 posts, read 355,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
For his time he probably was, but I'll stop at "man" and leave the 'prophet' part.
Please, don't !

Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,297 times
Quote:
How Did Jesus Become God

Interestingly enough, I started a thread in April of 2009 right here on C-D that basically stated some of the same things mentioned in this article. See below:

I know none of this will settle well with those who have made up their minds (despite the evidence), but for those who are interested, take a read. It really does make a lot of sense and interestingly enough, if one realizes that in the early years there were Christianities as opposed to Christianity, with different sects within the community holding different views or that the religion evolved over time before it was centralized and allowed to develop core, accepted doctrines regarding the person of Jesus, then so much mystery is cleared up.

I have a made up mind. Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior. It is a wonderful thing.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,011 times
Quote:
How Did Jesus Become God

I thought Jesus and God were a seperate entity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity