U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:13 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,573,110 times

Advertisements

I find that sometimes prayer is really what is needed most and done the least.

Lord, Teach Us to Pray ....

A Prayer Seeking God

Prayer is a Gift from God
http://www.cptryon.org/prayer/gift.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,383,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I find that sometimes prayer is really what is needed most and done the least.

Lord, Teach Us to Pray ....

A Prayer Seeking God

Prayer is a Gift from God
Bread on the Waters: The Gift of Prayer

I agree. It's usually when I most need to do some serious praying and meditation that I don't. I'm thinking when we are at our angriest or saddest is the most important time, but usually we are caught up in the moment and prayer is the last thing we do. And when we are terribly sad, we just don't think it matters much because we feel so low and helpless and love seems so far away.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,713,935 times
I found the easiest way to pray is before I fall asleep and when I wake up. Then during the day, depending on what's going on I'll check in. I know that my Father is always with me and He's always listening so I never say a formal prayer, I just talk to Him and also my soul's longings go out and His Love flows in.

I also started having prayer sessions lasting from 15 minutes to an hour and I get so much more love when I'm doing this. The reason this is easy for me is I'd rather devote my time to God and purifying my soul than watch TV.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
I found the easiest way to pray is before I fall asleep and when I wake up. Then during the day, depending on what's going on I'll check in. I know that my Father is always with me and He's always listening so I never say a formal prayer, I just talk to Him and also my soul's longings go out and His Love flows in.

I also started having prayer sessions lasting from 15 minutes to an hour and I get so much more love when I'm doing this. The reason this is easy for me is I'd rather devote my time to God and purifying my soul than watch TV.
Thank you for sharing this, SoCalAngel. I pray in a similar way as you - keeping an open flow of meditation toward God and listening for him to teach me. But I do get distracted by the things of earth, as we all do. Prayer for me is often an awareness of God's presence - not something I can really explain. I learned after many years to rest in him and to be still and listen which is how to quiet one's soul. Bless you.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:33 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,753,636 times
prayer for me is something I do when I lay down to go to sleep. I often fall asleep while praying but I know the Lord still hears my prayers. I don't pray like I should or as often as I should but when I do pray I always feel like they're being heard. Praise God for his infinite patience and wisdom!!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
prayer for me is something I do when I lay down to go to sleep. I often fall asleep while praying but I know the Lord still hears my prayers. I don't pray like I should or as often as I should but when I do pray I always feel like they're being heard. Praise God for his infinite patience and wisdom!!
Yeah, Ilene - there is no right or wrong way to pray. I think it is a good thing to fall asleep while praying (I'm sure God doesn't mind at all). I like it when the Lord wakes me up which he sometimes does. I'll open my eyes and realize that he is speaking to my spirit, teaching me something - it will be the first thoughts I have right upon wakening. Doesn't happen everyday - but I sure do love it when it does. There have been a few times when I had a vision/epiphany just upon awakening. I;ve wondered why it would this happen that way (just as I wake up) and I believe God showed me that it is so I'll realize it was not just me thinking about stuff on my own accord.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,112,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
My grandpa used to say, "if you can't sleep, don't count sheep--- talk to the Shepherd!!"

Blessings and Happy New Year!
Brian

Old 01-01-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
My grandpa used to say, "if you can't sleep, don't count sheep--- talk to the Shepherd!!"

Blessings and Happy New Year!
Brian
And to you, Brian, Happy New Year! I found this prayer on-line: A New Year Prayer

A New Year Prayer

Holy Father,

God of our yesterdays, our today, and our tomorrows.

We praise You for Your unequaled greatness.

Thank You for the year behind us and for the year ahead.

Help us in Your new year, Father, to fret less and laugh more.

To teach our children to laugh by laughing with them.

To teach others to love by loving them.

Knowing, when Love came to the stable in Bethlehem, He came for us.

So that Love could be with us, and we could know You.

That we could share Love with others.

Help us, Father, to hear Your love song in every sunrise,

in the chirping of sparrows in our backyards,

in the stories of our old folks, and the fantasies of our children.

Help us to stop and listen to Your love songs,

so that we may know You better and better.

We rejoice in the world You loved into being.

Thank You for another new year and for new chances every day.

We pray for peace, for light, and for hope,

that we might spread them to others.

Forgive us for falling short this past year.

We leave the irreparable past in your hands, and step out

into the unknown new year knowing You will go with us.

We accept Your gift of a new year

and we rejoice in what's ahead, depending on You

to help us do exactly what You want..

I say it again, we rejoice!

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:32 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,112,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
And to you, Brian, Happy New Year! I found this prayer on-line: A New Year Prayer

A New Year Prayer

Holy Father,

God of our yesterdays, our today, and our tomorrows.

We praise You for Your unequaled greatness.

Thank You for the year behind us and for the year ahead.

Help us in Your new year, Father, to fret less and laugh more.

To teach our children to laugh by laughing with them.

To teach others to love by loving them.

Knowing, when Love came to the stable in Bethlehem, He came for us.

So that Love could be with us, and we could know You.

That we could share Love with others.

Help us, Father, to hear Your love song in every sunrise,

in the chirping of sparrows in our backyards,

in the stories of our old folks, and the fantasies of our children.

Help us to stop and listen to Your love songs,

so that we may know You better and better.

We rejoice in the world You loved into being.

Thank You for another new year and for new chances every day.

We pray for peace, for light, and for hope,

that we might spread them to others.

Forgive us for falling short this past year.

We leave the irreparable past in your hands, and step out

into the unknown new year knowing You will go with us.

We accept Your gift of a new year

and we rejoice in what's ahead, depending on You

to help us do exactly what You want..

I say it again, we rejoice!

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

Now that's a prayer!
Thanks for sharing it, Heartsong! We'll never get enough of hearing about God's love for us... No amount of faith or knowledge or revelation will beat the Love that God is, and that we all need in our hearts and lives!

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 AM

1,839 posts, read 1,713,935 times
This prayer helps to awaken our soul so that God's Holy Spirit can pour in His Divine Love into it. It's one I used to say all the time, but I don't need to now, as my soul longings cause the inflowing to occur.

Prayer for Divine Love

Our Father, who art in Heaven, we recognize that Thou art all Holy and loving and merciful, and that we are Thy children, and not the subservient, sinful and depraved creatures that our false teachers would have us believe. That we are the greatest of Thy creation, and the most wonderful of all Thy handiworks, and the objects of Thy great soul's love and tenderest care.

That Thy will is, that we become at-one with Thee, and partake of Thy great love which Thou hast bestowed upon us through Thy mercy and desire that we become, in truth, Thy children, through love, and not through the sacrifice and death of any one of Thy creatures.

We pray that Thou will open up our souls to the inflowing of Thy love, and that then may come Thy Holy Spirit to bring into our souls this, Thy love in great abundance until our souls shall be transformed into the very essence of Thyself; and that there may come to us faith -- such faith as will cause us to realize that we are truly Thy children and one with Thee in very substance and not in image only.

Let us have such faith as will cause us to know that Thou art our Father, and the bestower of every good and perfect gift, and that only we, ourselves, can prevent Thy love changing us from the mortal to the immortal.

Let us never cease to realize that Thy love is waiting for each and all of us, and that when we come to Thee, in faith and earnest aspiration, Thy love will never be withholden from us.

Keep us in the shadow of Thy love every hour and moment of our lives, and help us to overcome all temptations of the flesh, and the influence of the powers of the evil ones, which so constantly surround us and endeavor to turn our thoughts away from Thee to the pleasures and allurements of this world.

We thank Thee for Thy love and the privilege of receiving it, and we believe that Thou art our Father -- the loving Father who smiles upon us in our weakness, and is always ready to help us and take us to Thy arms of love.

We pray, thus, with all the earnestness and longings of our souls, and trusting in Thy love give Thee all the glory and honor and love that our finite souls can give.

It took about a month after I began saying this prayer that I felt God's Love in my soul. With some people it takes less time and some it's more, always it depends on our soul's longings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or