Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

This is the problem with misunderstanding both the context and the purpose of scripture. The OT records our earliest ignorant (lacking knowledge) efforts to understand God and our purpose (the beginning) and fear of the LORD (Jehovah) was a prominent part of that beginning of knowledge (training wheels). Please make some effort to abandon that ancient ignorance and learn to understand our loving God as revealed by Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
No offense taken, of course. Isn't your argument circular when the definition you use from the dictionary specifically mentions god?

I certainly understand what it means to be in awe. But it seems awfully convenient to substitute an emotion you aren't comfortable with for one you are.

No, the argument is not circular when you actually have looked up the definition of the Hebrew word that has been translated to an english word.

The association between the two is complimentary not circular.

Substituting emotions might be a valid claim if I was simply conveying an ideoligy rather than having had the benefit in my life of experiencing that while discovering what I have come to believe about God.

I cannot prove this within myself to someone else any more than you can prove to someone how you actually feel when reading my post, you can say how you feel but you can never prove it.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:37 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No, the argument is not circular when you actually have looked up the definition of the Hebrew word that has been translated to an english word.
How do I say this....I guess I'm disappointed that there isn't more. Here we have a passage....fear god...that seems like it could have a really substantial, deep, and profound meaning behind it. Something that helps to explain who Christians think god is and what that means. But the best we've got is that fear means awe.

I get that you stand in awe of what you see as god's creation. Everybody does that, but not everybody sees it as god's creation.

I know I'm rambling a bit, i'm just frustrated by the interpretation and struggling to be more specific with why. And it seems that answers to any of the big questions from mainline christians are always so vapid.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
How do I say this....I guess I'm disappointed that there isn't more. Here we have a passage....fear god...that seems like it could have a really substantial, deep, and profound meaning behind it. Something that helps to explain who Christians think god is and what that means. But the best we've got is that fear means awe..
I get that you stand in awe of what you see as god's creation. Everybody does that, but not everybody sees it as god's creation.
I know I'm rambling a bit, i'm just frustrated by the interpretation and struggling to be more specific with why. And it seems that answers to any of the big questions from mainline christians are always so vapid.
Then stop ignoring the CONTEXT and purpose of scripture and you will understand it. First it was the LORD (Jehovah) mentioned . . . not God as revealed by Jesus. Second it was only the BEGINNING of knowledge about God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is the problem with misunderstanding both the context and the purpose of scripture. The OT records our earliest ignorant (lacking knowledge) efforts to understand God and our purpose (the beginning) and fear of the LORD (Jehovah) was a prominent part of that beginning of knowledge (training wheels). Please make some effort to abandon that ancient ignorance and learn to understand our loving God as revealed by Jesus Christ.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:41 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Then stop ignoring the CONTEXT and purpose of scripture and you will understand it. First it was the LORD (Jehovah) mentioned . . . not God as revealed by Jesus. Second it was only the BEGINNING of knowledge about God.
the whole problem is that i do understand it, or at least in the same way as everyone who posted in this thread describes. it isn't hard to understand that people are supposed to be in awe of god. i'd continue, but i feel like i made that point in my last post.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:35 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,128 times
I am with Phazelwood. I have never feared God nor never will!

We are not to be scared of God. We have no reason to be scared of Him. We have His promise that nothing can separate us from His love (Romans 8:38-39). We have His promise that He will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). Fearing God means having such respect / admiration for Him that it has a great impact on the way we live our lives.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I am with Phazelwood. I have never feared God nor never will!

We are not to be scared of God. We have no reason to be scared of Him. We have His promise that nothing can separate us from His love (Romans 8:38-39). We have His promise that He will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). Fearing God means having such respect / admiration for Him that it has a great impact on the way we live our lives.
Yea, I am sure EVERYONE will feel this way!

For we know Him who said, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY." And again, "THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE."

It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Of course, this may have been written by some ignorant, unintelligent, lacking the Spiritual fortitude person just trying to scare the crap out of his followers with all this God talk, right? Like a fire and brimstone person of today's variety? Of course, many think Paul or Apollos wrote this, but hey,,what do they know.

For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

Nope. Nothing to be afraid of here. God would NEVER do these things, right?

Hebrews 10, BTW.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Nope. Nothing to be afraid of here. God would NEVER do these things, right?
That is correct, Hot . . . the God we know would never do any of those things . . . but the primitive one with all the human weaknesses described by our ignorant ancestors probably would. It is a shame you cannot see the utter absurdity of an Almighty God needing to "destroy" His own creations rather than "repair" them. As long as you continue to accept the superstitious absurdities of our ancestors . . . you will not truly know our loving God completely.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge..Fear turns to love and respect as one matures in knowledge/relationship with the Lord.

Like a child is fearful of a relative he has heard about but has never had direct contact with, but as that relative becomes more and more familiar to the child the fear diminishes.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge..Fear turns to love and respect as one matures in knowledge/relationship with the Lord.

Like a child is fearful of a relative he has heard about but has never had direct contact with, but as that relative becomes more and more familiar to the child the fear diminishes.
1Jn 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity