Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Now do you the significance of it being 8?
I know that Noah had a wife. I simply forgot to think about that fact when I did my mental calculation of how many people were on the ark.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I know that Noah had a wife. I simply forgot to think about that fact when I did my mental calculation of how many people were on the ark.
Not a problem, after all were human, we make mistakes. But to the question of the number of people that entered the ark, why do you believe there was 8 people? What is the significance of their being 8 people?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Not a problem, after all were human, we make mistakes. But to the question of the number of people that entered the ark, why do you believe there was 8 people? What is the significance of their being 8 people?
In Biblical numerology, eight is the number of new beginnings. The post-diluvian civilzation began with eight people.

Just prior to the flood, Noah and family were probably the only remaining eight people left on the earth who were true humanity. The rest of the human race were the Nephilim. Half human and half angelic. The Nephilim were Satan's attempt to prevent the Messiah from coming into the world (Gen 6). The Messiah had to be human. Satan reasoned that if he could destroy true humanity by creating a hybrid race then God would not be able to keep His promise of sending a Savior into the world. True humanity had sinned, and it was to true humanity that God had made a promise. If Satan had changed true humanity into a hybrid race, then God's promise to true humanity could not be kept. Satan had reasoned that if God could not keep His promise then God would rescind Satan's sentence to the lake of fire. If God could not keep His promise then He would not be perfect and could not justly condemn Satan. God countered Satan's attempt by sending the flood to destroy the Nephillim. The human race began anew with the eight people on the ark.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
In Biblical numerology, eight is the number of new beginnings. The post-diluvian civilzation began with eight people...
Now did you know that Jesus rose on the 8th day? (1st day of the week). And that the male children were circumcised on the 8th day. All of this was fortelling of a Spiritual 8th day. A day when ALL shall be consecrated to the Father in Heaven. From Barnabas:

"And God made in six days the works of His hands, and made an end on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it." Attend, my children, to the meaning of this expression, "He finished in six days." This implieth that the Lord will finish all things in six thousand years, for a day is with Him a thousand years. And He Himself testifieth, saying, "Behold, to-day will be as a thousand years." Therefore, my children, in six days, that is, in six thousand years, all things will be finished. "And He rested on the seventh day." This meaneth: when His Son, coming [again], shall destroy the time of the wicked man, and judge the ungodly, and change the-sun, and the moon, and the stars, then shall He truly rest on the seventh day. Moreover, He says, "Thou shalt sanctify it with pure hands and a pure heart." If, therefore, any one can now sanctify the day which God hath sanctified, except he is pure in heart in all things, we are deceived. Behold, therefore: certainly then one properly resting sanctifies it, when we ourselves, having received the promise, wickedness no longer existing, and all things having been made new by the Lord, shall be able to work righteousness. Then we shall be able to sanctify it, having been first sanctified ourselves. Further, He says to them, "Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure." Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.

The Epistle of Barnabas (translation Roberts-Donaldson)

Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Now did you know that Jesus rose on the 8th day? (1st day of the week). And that the male children were circumcised on the 8th day. All of this was fortelling of a Spiritual 8th day. A day when ALL shall be consecrated to the Father in Heaven. From Barnabas:

"And God made in six days the works of His hands, and made an end on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it." Attend, my children, to the meaning of this expression, "He finished in six days." This implieth that the Lord will finish all things in six thousand years, for a day is with Him a thousand years. And He Himself testifieth, saying, "Behold, to-day will be as a thousand years." Therefore, my children, in six days, that is, in six thousand years, all things will be finished. "And He rested on the seventh day." This meaneth: when His Son, coming [again], shall destroy the time of the wicked man, and judge the ungodly, and change the-sun, and the moon, and the stars, then shall He truly rest on the seventh day. Moreover, He says, "Thou shalt sanctify it with pure hands and a pure heart." If, therefore, any one can now sanctify the day which God hath sanctified, except he is pure in heart in all things, we are deceived. Behold, therefore: certainly then one properly resting sanctifies it, when we ourselves, having received the promise, wickedness no longer existing, and all things having been made new by the Lord, shall be able to work righteousness. Then we shall be able to sanctify it, having been first sanctified ourselves. Further, He says to them, "Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure." Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.

The Epistle of Barnabas (translation Roberts-Donaldson)
The only new beginning for those who die without Christ is eternity in the lake of fire.

This thread was not intended to be about universalism.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
The only new beginning for those who die without Christ is eternity in the lake of fire.

Are these people going there:

Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Are these people going there:

Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
Yes.

The eternal place to which the fallen angels and unregenerate mankind will be consigned forever has different descriptive terms given to it. Here in Jude 13, as well as 2 Peter 2:17 it is called the black darkness. In Jude 6, speaking of Tartarus, though not by name, and which is not the lake of fire, but probably another compartment of Hades, the particular fallen angels who were involved in the Genesis 6 incident are being kept under darkness awaiting the day of judgment. In 2 Peter 2:4 again speaking of Tartarus, this time by name, these fallen angels are said to be committed to pits of darkness, reserved for judgement.

In like manner, unregenerate mankind is held in the compartment of Hades known as 'Torments', where they await their final judgment at the Great White Throne, after which they will be cast into the lake of fire.

The word of God applies these descriptive terms to this place of eternal separation from God.

1) Lake of fire Rev 20:15

2) Gehenna Matthew 10:28

3) The black darkness Jude 13

The darkness probably denotes both physical and spiritual darkness being eternally separated from God.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:

OOPS again. I thought I was on the other thread.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Yes.

The eternal place to which the fallen angels and unregenerate mankind will be consigned forever has different descriptive terms given to it. Here in Jude 13, as well as 2 Peter 2:17 it is called the black darkness. In Jude 6, speaking of Tartarus, though not by name, and which is not the lake of fire, but probably another compartment of Hades, the particular fallen angels who were involved in the Genesis 6 incident are being kept under darkness awaiting the day of judgment. In 2 Peter 2:4 again speaking of Tartarus, this time by name, these fallen angels are said to be committed to pits of darkness, reserved for judgement.

In like manner, unregenerate mankind is held in the compartment of Hades known as 'Torments', where they await their final judgment at the Great White Throne, after which they will be cast into the lake of fire.

The word of God applies these descriptive terms to this place of eternal separation from God.

1) Lake of fire Rev 20:15

2) Gehenna Matthew 10:28

3) The black darkness Jude 13

The darkness probably denotes both physical and spiritual darkness being eternally separated from God.
Since God is "light"....the darkness is being absolutely \ completely \ totally away from the presence of that "light".

That is the significance of the words "Depart from me" that Jesus speaks to those on the left. It is being absolutely \ completely \ totally departed from the presence of that "light".

Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Since God is "light"....the darkness is being absolutely \ completely \ totally away from the presence of that "light".

That is the significance of the words "Depart from me" that Jesus speaks to those on the left. It is being absolutely \ completely \ totally departed from the presence of that "light".
Yes. And this will be the case throughout all eternity future.

As 2 Thess 1:9 puts it, 'And they will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power.

Destruction of course does not mean cessation of existence, but rather, being brought to a state of utter ruin and eternal uselessness and where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, suffering continually in that condition. Try to imagine the mental state of those in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity