U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Christians happier, less anxious, well adjusted and responsible than nonChristians?
I am a Christian, and I am happier, less anxious, well adjusted and responsible. 11 42.31%
I am a Christian, and I am NOT happier, less anxious, well adjusted and responsible. 1 3.85%
I am a NOT Christian, and the Christians I know appear happier, less anxious, well adjusted and responsible. 1 3.85%
I am a NOT Christian, and the Christians I know do NOT appear happier, less anxious, well adjusted and responsible. 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,415,028 times

Advertisements

My life is far from being perfect...but just the knowledge that I have made an effort to Love regardless, as demonstrated by "The Christ"...and to appreciate things no matter how insignificant they may seem, somehow gives me peace...

Blessings everyone...

Old 12-31-2010, 06:54 PM

30,037 posts, read 30,676,322 times
According to the poll, there are no unhappy people here, at least so far...I'm having a hard time believing that....I see very little difference in this regard between the Atheists and Christians I know...Most of them are happy and well adjusted, a few are not, but I don't think that belief or non has anything to do with it...

Old 01-01-2011, 02:09 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,566,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Christians are just like the rest of us.
Well, yes, except that no two snow flakes are exactly alike, but... yes, we are ALL flakes...

Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,108,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I am reading Donald A. Wells' "God, Man, and the Thinker," and came across the point in his section on "What is Philosophy of Religion?" where he uses the logic:

"If, for example, it is claimed that Christian persons are happier, freer from anxiety, better adjusted to their world, and more responsible citizens, then...."

The book was published in 1962, and I am only on the second chapter so I don't know what his conclusions are, yet, but the comment got me to wondering, so I am presenting the question as a poll.

Thanks in advance to those that participate. Bless you. 8)
I didn't vote (yet..) because I don't quite know if any of the answers are what I would choose.

However, as per your question as to whether Christians are happier, I would say yes and no. Here's why:

Yes, definitely, in that when we come to understand that Christ is our Life, and to know His Love for us, at least to some small degree, then life becomes full of joy. In this sense, those of us fortunate to have been shown us this joy are very blessed indeed.

No, in the sense that Christendom since the Catholic Church onward, teaches that some are saved, others are damned. To me, this is a doctrine of devils, because it plants a seed of envy and discord between men. And this is not what God desires for man at all.

So when we come to see that God has justified ALL MANKIND through Jesus, there is then no room for bickering, pride, strife, judging one another, condemning spirits, etc.

Blessings and Happy New Year!
Brian

Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,568,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I didn't vote (yet..) because I don't quite know if any of the answers are what I would choose.

However, as per your question as to whether Christians are happier, I would say yes and no. Here's why:

Yes, definitely, in that when we come to understand that Christ is our Life, and to know His Love for us, at least to some small degree, then life becomes full of joy. In this sense, those of us fortunate to have been shown us this joy are very blessed indeed.

No, in the sense that Christendom since the Catholic Church onward, teaches that some are saved, others are damned. To me, this is a doctrine of devils, because it plants a seed of envy and discord between men. And this is not what God desires for man at all.

So when we come to see that God has justified ALL MANKIND through Jesus, there is then no room for bickering, pride, strife, judging one another, condemning spirits, etc.

Blessings and Happy New Year!
Brian
Great answer Brian. Please mark me down as being in agreement with Brian's statement on this.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 AM

58,475 posts, read 31,872,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
According to the poll, there are no unhappy people here, at least so far...I'm having a hard time believing that....I see very little difference in this regard between the Atheists and Christians I know...Most of them are happy and well adjusted, a few are not, but I don't think that belief or non has anything to do with it...
It is odd that there are none who are unhappy, but they claim that others around them are unhappy.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,900,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I am reading Donald A. Wells' "God, Man, and the Thinker," and came across the point in his section on "What is Philosophy of Religion?" where he uses the logic:

"If, for example, it is claimed that Christian persons are happier, freer from anxiety, better adjusted to their world, and more responsible citizens, then...."

The book was published in 1962, and I am only on the second chapter so I don't know what his conclusions are, yet, but the comment got me to wondering, so I am presenting the question as a poll.

Thanks in advance to those that participate. Bless you. 8)
I could not vote because it depends on your level of your walk with the Lord( we all are up and down) and your spiritual gifts.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 AM

37 posts, read 30,705 times
I don't know if being christian affects if one is more happy or not, but what I do know is devout christians seem to be the most anxious bunch of people I've met in the fact that christians tend to magnify their trials and are always in some sort of trial or other desperate for divine intervention.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
See Robin? QED!
You do realize you are both looking at different sides of the same subject which neither of you are 100% clear on and only have faith in you personal knowledge which is incomplete in itself. Both of you need to cool off a little, it will be fine.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know what you have told me,so there is no point in denying it. In response I have told you that I am praying for you, and I will continue to do so.
Well you can read what I addressed to both of you but you both realy need to pray for one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or