U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 AM

6,370 posts, read 5,667,605 times

Advertisements

Act 15:8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
Act 15:9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith

Here we can see it is God that is the one purifying the hearts by faith. So at this point it has been shown that God is the giver of Faith and by Faith the purifier of our hearts. So far nothing towards our salvation has been put into man's own hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 AM

Here we see that the MEASURE (amount of Faith) we have is given by God:

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

So if we lack Faith then it is God that hasn't given us enough of the measure of Faith.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:41 AM

17,968 posts, read 12,534,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You nurture it by studying the word of God.

Romans 10:17 faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

Some people do not nutrure it and err from the faith 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Jesus said Mark 11:22 So Jesus answered and said to them, "Have faith in God".

See, He said "have faith". Why would He say that if He had made sure everyone has sufficient faith?
Dear Finn, this is what Mark 11:22 actually says:

Mar 11:22-23 And answering, Jesus is saying to them, "If you have faith of God,
(23) verily, I am saying to you that whosoever may be saying to this mountain,
'Be picked up and cast into the sea,' and may not be doubting in his heart, but should
be believing that what he is speaking is occurring, it shall be his, whatsoever he
may be saying."

The "faith of God" or "God's faith" is in the genitive (or possessive). An example of a genitive is "Son of God" or "God's Son." It's the same thing. So "Faith of God" is the same as "God's faith." It is not "faith IN God" but if you have the faith OF God.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 AM

58,937 posts, read 32,355,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I'm still not seeing it. What word means "nutured" in those verses or set of words.
You can't see what you refuse to see.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

'Be picked up and cast into the sea,' and may not be doubting in his heart, but should
be believing that what he is speaking is occurring, it shall be his, whatsoever he
may be saying."

The "faith of God" or "God's faith" is in the genitive (or possessive). An example of a genitive is "Son of God" or "God's Son." It's the same thing. So "Faith of God" is the same as "God's faith." It is not "faith IN God" but if you have the faith OF God.
Matk 11:22 Have faith in God," Jesus answered

His words would be completely meaningless unless He was urging people to have faith.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

may be saying."

Yeah it isn't our OWN faith.

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Matk 11:22 Have faith in God," Jesus answered
Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Are you suggesting that a good thing as Faith can come from yourself?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
You can't see what you refuse to see.
Or I can't see what is not there.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Are you suggesting that a good thing as Faith can come from yourself?
Read my inital reply again.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Read my inital reply again.
Ok, I'm not going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean that Faith is not manufactured of ourselves but must be given by God and that Faith is the Faith of Jesus Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or