U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 AM

580 posts, read 632,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
What is its source? - Man or God?

What say you? - please support your answer from scripture.
Hebrews 12:2
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Galatians 3:25
Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.
Galatians 3:24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith.

God Bless,
Mercy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,825,065 times
Quote:
What is its source? - Man or God?

What say you? - please support your answer from scripture.
Romans 10:17
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

Romans 8:30

And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
*** God doesn't predestine "all" ... it specifically says "those" *****

*** and NO people ... that doesn't mean God then predestined some to hell.... that's Calvinistic and he was wrong. God only teaches the predestination of believers *** which I know it will leave many to , , ,
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Romans 1:20

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Romans 3:19
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 PM

30,268 posts, read 20,012,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.
We also know from the scriptures that all were to be silenced and held accountable for one purpose,and by the way God purposed it.

For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all Romans 11:32

Now that is good news.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,575,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
We also know from the scriptures that all were to be silenced and held accountable for one purpose,and by the way God purposed it.

For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all Romans 11:32

Now that is good news.
Simple, yet profound. A stumbling block to many. In some previous posts, Mike555 says that God makes provision for people who SEEK God (or desire to KNOW HIM) to hear the gospel and by providence they are saved because of something that was IN THEM. Yet the bible teaches the opposite - that God sent salvation to those who were sitting in darkness, not seeking God. There is simply no room for boasting in God's presence. I'm glad he made it that way,,, leveled the field for ALL sinners - some more or less heinous than others by our earthly standards. Grace is a divine virtue. It seems very heinous to me for people to make God out to be ungracious and austere - but it's done night and day in various religious circles.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 PM

37,582 posts, read 25,282,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
God OPENED MY EYES and GAVE ME FAITH so that I could HEAR HIM! That is just the way God works! It is not the hearing of the natural ear that sets us free. However - until one has HEARD him - they might think they know God when in reality they only know ABOUT him from a carnally minded perception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Now, that's a truth.
Amen! That is a Divine truth . . . God works IN and THROUGH our "hearts" (inner consciousness . . . right brain sensitivity). Our intellect either acknowledges or rejects it . . . but it is our "fruits" that reveal it.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,634,337 times
Quote:
Romans 10:17
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

Romans 8:30

And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
*** God doesn't predestine "all" ... it specifically says "those" *****

*** and NO people ... that doesn't mean God then predestined some to hell.... that's Calvinistic and he was wrong. God only teaches the predestination of believers *** which I know it will leave many to , , ,
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Twin.Spin who will gain more followers? Sin or God?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,825,065 times
Quote:
Twin.Spin who will gain more followers? Sin or God?
Jesus answered that.

Enter through the narrow gate.For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.
But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Old 01-06-2011, 05:11 AM

20,322 posts, read 15,674,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Simple, yet profound. A stumbling block to many. In some previous posts, Mike555 says that God makes provision for people who SEEK God (or desire to KNOW HIM) to hear the gospel and by providence they are saved because of something that was IN THEM. Yet the bible teaches the opposite - that God sent salvation to those who were sitting in darkness, not seeking God. There is simply no room for boasting in God's presence. I'm glad he made it that way,,, leveled the field for ALL sinners - some more or less heinous than others by our earthly standards. Grace is a divine virtue. It seems very heinous to me for people to make God out to be ungracious and austere - but it's done night and day in various religious circles.

First, when you refer to something that someone else has said, you should provide the thread and post where it was said. And when you are making claims of contradictions between what someone has said and what the Bible says, you should provide the scripture to back up your claim. Frankly, it is in bad form to bring someone into the thread when they haven't even been on the thread. You should have said 'a another poster said', instead of naming me.

As it is, you have twisted what I said. I never said that anyone is saved by providence because of something that is in them.

All right. To all who read the following, please read it all, and read it carefully with comprehension.

Now it is true that Romans 3:11 says that ''there is none who understands, There is none who seeks for God''.

The main point of Romans 3:11 is this: Man if left to his own depraved nature would run away from God rather than run to God. But man is not left to his own depraved nature.

God has made Himself known through His creation.

Romans 1:18 'For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19] Because that which is known about God is evident in them; for God made it evident to them. 20] For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

Psalm 19:1 'The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. 2] Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge. 3] There is no speech, nor are there words; Their voice is not heard. 4] Their line has gone out through all the earth. And their utterances to the end of the world...

Romans 10:15 'for ''WHOEVER WILL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.'' 14] How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15] And how shall they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, ''How beautiful are the feet of those who bring glad tidings of good things!'' 16] However, they did not all heed the glad tidings; for Isaiah says, ''Lord, who has believed our report?'' 17] So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. 18] But I say, surely they have never heard, have they? Indeed they have: ''THEIR VOICE HAS GONE OUT INTO ALL THE EARTH, AND THEIR WORDS TO THE ENDS OF THE WORLD.''

Now read what Acts 17 says:

Acts 17:22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’

Paul tells the Athens that the unknown God that they worshiped was the true God. He goes on to tell them that God determined when and where the nations would be established and that He did this so that men might seek Him and reach out for Him and find Him.

Acts 15:17 and Heb 11:6 also state that man can seek God.

Because God has made Himself known through His creation, it is indeed possible for man to seek God.

At the point of God consciousness, that point when a person has mentally developed enough to be able to conceive of the existence of a supreme Being, if He has any desire, any curiousity to know about this supreme being he has come to conceive of, then God will at get the gospel to that person at some point before he dies so that he can make a decision concerning Jesus Christ.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:14 AM

30,268 posts, read 20,012,643 times
Quote:
Jesus answered that.

Enter through the narrow gate.For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.
But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
Twin would you mind sharing how you found it ?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 AM

6,370 posts, read 5,634,337 times
Quote:
Jesus answered that.

I don't find it in that verse. Please be more specific. I am certain I understand that verse different than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or