U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,754,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Hmmm... I never saw that movie. Was it like a holly wood movie for entertainment purposes, or some other type of film?

In the church I spoke of, the men wanted to be called by certain titles when spoken to. I wonder why?
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this but yes, it's for entertainment purposes but it portrays what I saw growing up in a fundamentalist hard-core pentecostal background.....it's so true to it's core. I understand that Robert Duvall did a lot of studying of his character by attending Pentecostal churches. Here it is on Wiki:

The Apostle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It spoke to me because I grew up with these kind of people. So you'll forgive me if I don't buy into the whole "I'm an apostle" because I say so or someone else says so. It don't make it "so".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 02:41 AM

5,500 posts, read 4,419,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this but yes, it's for entertainment purposes but it portrays what I saw growing up in a fundamentalist hard-core pentecostal background.....it's so true to it's core. I understand that Robert Duvall did a lot of studying of his character by attending Pentecostal churches. Here it is on Wiki:

The Apostle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It spoke to me because I grew up with these kind of people. So you'll forgive me if I don't buy into the whole "I'm an apostle" because I say so or someone else says so. It don't make it "so".
Thanks for the link Ilene...I'm downloading the movie right now...

Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,571,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Because they were more interested in feeling important than just doing the work of the Lord.
BINGO!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,571,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The age of the Apostles ended with John who died on the island of Patmos. With that also ended the direct revelations from God.

All we need for salvation, knowing the Father's will is found only in the Bible. Any claim to the contrary is just that and should be reguarded as false ......... no matter how many millions of people would be deluded to think otherwise.
Why in the world would you think that God would ever end direct revelations? That's just - absurd.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:41 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,821,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Why in the world would you think that God would ever end direct revelations? That's just - absurd.
I suppose it would be absurd if a person would be the type who isn't satisfied with just the Bible.

God has decided all I need to know for now is:
  • Sin has made me incapable of meeting God's demand of perfection \ holy,
  • God's view about that,
  • how God reconciled that problem,
  • how that through Jesus alone salvation is a person is saved
  • Jesus heaven is offered freely,
  • how heaven is guaranteed to me by faith,
  • the consequence of rejecting that offer,
  • all evil (Satan, his angels, unbelievers, sickness, death etc.) I will not be bothered with forever ....

which all of the above is clearly revealed in the Bible.

Claims of "revelations from God" by people are nothing new. In the OT God calls them "false shepherds" and those who listened to them "like an unfaithful wife".

In the NT God calls them "false prophets and ferocious wolves" Matthew 7:15 and "there will be false teachers" 2 Peter 2:1.

"false teachers\ prophets and ferocious wolves will" and purpose is to:
  • appear
  • perform great signs and miracles
  • deceive many people.
  • secretly introduce destructive heresies

Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,821,504 times
It's funny that you without question hold to this exaggerated claim of 30,000 as like it was gospel truth, like something that we all should bow down to as fact, yet never concede that it's quite possible the other reality is the truth....

Matthew 7:15

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."

Matthew 24:11
many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

2 Peter 2:1
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM

21,282 posts, read 20,904,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
It's not that surprising that the two who are arguing in this thread are both members of organized religious denominations (Lutheran and Mormon). Until you come out from mother Babylon, you'll not be free.
Really... That comment surprises me, coming from you, Heartsong. Jesus Christ did organize a Church Himself, and it was a structured organization for a very good reason. Had you lived in His day, would you have advocated that people not be a part of that organized church?

Old 06-16-2018, 12:31 AM

8 posts, read 617 times
The foundation is laid when a person spreads the word. Then we or others build upon it with more preaching. Yahweh does the work in their heart to take out the sin, if they admit their sins, and He draws them near.

You have to not only believe (even Satan believes) but submit to Yahweh by admitting your sins, submit to His Sons teachings, by following the two commandments 1 love and worship only Yahweh, no other false gods, 2 love everyone as you love yourself. If you truly repent with all your heart soul mind and strength then He will forgive and you will be filled with the Holy Spirit and will feel the rivers of living water welling up from the depths of your being and you will know without a doubt you are saved, there's no wondering or hoping you are. It's not only repent but also then convert meaning live a righteous life, no more sinning. Be renewed in the spirit of your mind. Then Yahweh can use you with the gifts to save souls. You dont see many Apostles or prophets because most don't have the Holy Spirit. Very few are truly saved. Its sad. You have to work out your salvation every day with fear and trembling. No such thing as once saved always saved. You can't be saved if you continue to practice sinning. Check out www.doctrineofchristyeshuachurch.com for the truth and can contact pastors with questions. Website is a work in progress. Ask for their statement of faith. Excellent info. And it's not with persuasive words of wisdom but with the demonstration and power of the Holy Spirit, so that our faith does not rest on the word of man but on the demonstration and power of the Holy Spirit. Yeshua is the word, Yahweh speaks the word, and the Holy Spirit executes the word (puts it into action, makes it happen). You can't be saved or be used with the gifts without the Holy Spirit dwelling inside. The Holy Spirit can't abide in you if there's sin abiding in you. Being used with the gifts is the demonstration part. Its not with persuasive words but the demonstratuon.... And it's a spiritual world we're talking about, and just because you may feel something, does NOT mean it's from Yahweh. You can feel the presence if evil spirits too. But the Holy Spirit dwelling inside, the rivers if living water, that feels like nothing else. You know without a doubt. If you don't feel it, you don't have it. You haven't given up all your sin to the Lord with all your heart soul mind and strength (with every ounce of your being). Your still holding on to something, maybe anger, jealousy, etc. Let it all go!

Old 06-16-2018, 12:35 PM

26,308 posts, read 13,949,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueWordofYeshua View Post
The foundation is laid when a person spreads the word. Then we or others build upon it with more preaching. Yahweh does the work in their heart to take out the sin, if they admit their sins, and He draws them near.

You have to not only believe (even Satan believes) but submit to Yahweh by admitting your sins, submit to His Sons teachings, by following the two commandments 1 love and worship only Yahweh, no other false gods, 2 love everyone as you love yourself. If you truly repent with all your heart soul mind and strength then He will forgive and you will be filled with the Holy Spirit and will feel the rivers of living water welling up from the depths of your being and you will know without a doubt you are saved, there's no wondering or hoping you are. It's not only repent but also then convert meaning live a righteous life, no more sinning. Be renewed in the spirit of your mind. Then Yahweh can use you with the gifts to save souls. You dont see many Apostles or prophets because most don't have the Holy Spirit. Very few are truly saved. Its sad. You have to work out your salvation every day with fear and trembling. No such thing as once saved always saved. You can't be saved if you continue to practice sinning. Check out www.doctrineofchristyeshuachurch.com for the truth and can contact pastors with questions. Website is a work in progress. Ask for their statement of faith. Excellent info. And it's not with persuasive words of wisdom but with the demonstration and power of the Holy Spirit, so that our faith does not rest on the word of man but on the demonstration and power of the Holy Spirit. Yeshua is the word, Yahweh speaks the word, and the Holy Spirit executes the word (puts it into action, makes it happen). You can't be saved or be used with the gifts without the Holy Spirit dwelling inside. The Holy Spirit can't abide in you if there's sin abiding in you. Being used with the gifts is the demonstration part. Its not with persuasive words but the demonstratuon.... And it's a spiritual world we're talking about, and just because you may feel something, does NOT mean it's from Yahweh. You can feel the presence if evil spirits too. But the Holy Spirit dwelling inside, the rivers if living water, that feels like nothing else. You know without a doubt. If you don't feel it, you don't have it. You haven't given up all your sin to the Lord with all your heart soul mind and strength (with every ounce of your being). Your still holding on to something, maybe anger, jealousy, etc. Let it all go!
Of course Satan believes, he works for G-d...

Old 06-16-2018, 12:36 PM

26,308 posts, read 13,949,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueWordofYeshua View Post

OMG!...You must be a Pentecostal…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity