Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times

Advertisements

So what did Jesus really say?

Did he really say ... ?

Mat 10:28
And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna.

Or did he actually say ... ?

Luke 12:4
And I say to you, my friends, be not afraid of those killing the body, and after these things are not having anything over to do; but I will show to you, whom ye may fear; Fear him who, after the killing, is having authority to cast to the gehenna; yes, I say to you, Fear ye Him.

Many people think that the words above in both verses amount to the same thing, but as far as understanding theology and proper doctrine, the two verses lend to altogether different ideas.

For instance, is the human soul immortal? Matthew seems to indicate that it is(or at least could be construed to say as much), while the verse in Luke does not.

What do you think?

Edit:
I chose to use the Youngs literal translation because i believe it is the most accurate as far as the original Greek is concerned.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 01-04-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
"Dude, leave me alone, I'm trying to eat here."

Also,

"Judas, bro, why'd you narc me out? I always wind up in trouble when I hang with you."

Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
For instance, is the human soul immortal? Matthew seems to indicate that it is(or at least could be construed to say as much), while the verse in Luke does not.

What do you think?
Yes it is.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:

Did he really say ... ?

And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna.

And I say to you, my friends, be not afraid of those killing the body, and after these things are not having anything over to do; but I will show to you, whom ye may fear; Fear him who, after the killing, is having authority to cast to the gehenna; yes, I say to you, Fear ye Him.

Many people think that the words above in both verses amount to the same thing, but as far as understanding theology and proper doctrine, the two verses lend to altogether different ideas.

What do you think?

Edit:
I chose to use the Youngs literal translation because i believe it is the most accurate as far as the original Greek is concerned.

Maybe it's not a case of every soul not being immortal, but only those who die without Christ. Maybe God intends to destroy those souls, I don't know.

In any case, it really doesn't concern me because I'm not going to judgment day without my Savior. What happens to those who reject Christ in this life is their problem.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
You can have your soul or enjoyment of soulish sensations in the kingdom to come be destroyed in Gehenna.

In the other verse, others are not able to kill your enjoyment of kingdom pleasures after I (Jesus) give you immortality.

If you don't kill your soul now (or kill or put to death your earthly sensual pleasures now) you will not get those pleasures in the future kingdom. But if you do kill or put to get your sensual, soulish pleasures now and follow me and die to yourselves you will get your soul or soulish pleasures in the future kingdom.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Quote:

Did he really say ... ?

What do you think?

Edit:
Gehenna is the word used in these verses, not Hades. Gehenna was the dump.

All I know is that the ultra-religious Jews would have been horrified if they had ended up in Gehenna (translated "hell"), the town dump. If Jesus was saying, "Hey, you religious guys are going to be killed and your bodies are going to be dumped out with the garbage with no proper burial," that wasn't a small deal. Why preachers say this has anything to do with people sitting in the pews today, I can't imagine.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:23 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
The soul will die when it is lost in hell, but the human spirit will never die .......in Isaiah 66: 24...``the men that have transgressed against me for theirs worms shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched``..... see their worms is another metafore for spirit of this dead people

Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times
I think people missed the point of the OP ... The point of the op is that Christ could not have said both things ... Both Luke and Mathew record him as having said different things.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Quote:
I think people missed the point of the OP ... The point of the op is that Christ could not have said both things ... Both Luke and Mathew record him as having said different things.

Well, Luke doesn't contradict the OT.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:

Did he really say ... ?

What do you think?

Edit:
Yet another thread that says the Bible can't be trusted. I think you like Young's translation cuz it makes it easier to support your theological POV. Much like the JWs who use their unique translation of the Bible to support their theology.
Why do UR folk want to push the idea that one cannot trust what 98% of translations say?

Maybe this whole thing about being redeemed by Jesus is just some mistranslation.

I don't think that is the case, but just saying that if we doubt one part of the Bible, what's to say the rest is not bunk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity