Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
No earlier you said something about her love not being really love, but lust. Robin what are you talking about?

What is "worldy" love?

Explain, spell it out... in detail what you are saying, here.
(if you don't mind.)
Anything other than Godly love, if one does not have God(Jesus in their heart) then they cannot experience His love only a mere shadow or reflection of it. No matter how strong ones worldly love is it is as dirty raggs to God because it is not authentic love.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I'm talking about loving each other,not wordly things.of course lust isn't love,but certainly ppl of ALL faiths do indeed have love for others.otherwise they wouldn't be human.but they are...made in God's image.
See previous explination.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Restricting your knowledge to the Bible (a compilation of writings from 4000 +years ago to no more recent than 2000 years ago) is the most asinine position one could possibly take toward life. Stagnating in ancient ignorance is no way to live. You may feel more ignorant than our primitive ancestors (and I would not dispute it) . . . but we know so much more about ourselves and our world that to make such a claim is preposterous on its face.

Moderator cut: edit. Perhaps you are confused between lust and love . . . but I doubt June is. They have nothing to do with each other. Lust is lust and love is love. Can they exist simultaneously . . . of course . . . but there is no confusing them.
Ah but you forget about the Holy Spirit which does not contradict the Bible.

That is just it, if you can see it, yes we know much more about ourselves and our world but we are even more foolish as we make assumptions while there is still more to learn.

Mystic again you show your lack of wisdom, read the Bible, every verse concerning love and see the difference if you can, I can and have tried to explain what I have found and I seem to have failed in that task but words are just words and misunderstandings are plentiful in a world of skeptics.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-07-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 08:02 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Anything other than Godly love, if one does not have God(Jesus in their heart) then they cannot experience His love only a mere shadow or reflection of it. No matter how strong ones worldly love is it is as dirty raggs to God because it is not authentic love.

Robin, That is a non-answer.
You are saying someone has "worldly love" as opposed to "Godly love". What is "Godly love" and what is "wordly love."
Describe each.
It's a simple question.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
What you described is precisely what June was (is) getting at. Even given the two or three times that June was invited by her minister friend (along with another friend to attend her church) June felt she went into the services with as open minded of a view as any nonbeliever could have, and simply observed what the experience of the service was all about. It was very nice; people were all calm and friendly to one another...There was music, some preaching, and that sort of thing, but nothing that particularly surprised June, even as a non-church goer. She felt like she was just observing believers who were gathering on a Sunday to worship. June felt like an observer.

In contrast, the service in the south was dramatically different. People did shout out a lot of "amen's" and the like, which (although June did not fully understand it) nonetheless didn't strike her as being that unusual given the fact that this was a nondenominational, southern service. What DID catch June totally off guard, though, was the minister's yelling (and quite loudly, June would add) at the end of the service. To be honest, it jolted June as she stood there, and instilled in her (initially) a bit of fear. June isn't used to being yelled at quite so passionately as this minister was obviously in the midst of. She found it interesting, by contrast, in terms of comparing this sort of church service to those she had encountered in the north. Again, she suspects that this is all attributable to her having been in the bible belt, but was nonetheless somewhat intrigued and taken aback by the diversity among services. As well, the message conveyed was of a much harsher tone; what little time June had in speaking with the pastor it was made very clear to her (albeit, in a polite but subtle way) that she was, in fact, destined to hell should she not accept God and the ways of the teaching of the bible and this particular church.

In the end analysis, June can respect both her experiences --that of having attended a service in the north, as well as the south-- but again can't quite piece together what accounts for the variance of the two experiences other than demographics. Which intrigued her, but left her somewhat confused, as welll....

Take gentle care.
But being a non-believer makes all the diffeence really.Its lie listening to a elected offical when you thing he is lying. A atheist really can't understand ;IMO.If she ever has been to some of the black churches in ci hicago'hew york or mnay sares i the north she would see a very similar to thsoe she saw in the sotuh, But ehn agian if she went to some of the souths traditional chruches she would not see that. My guess is she is very limited in her chruches she has visited.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Robin, That is a non-answer.
You are saying someone has "worldly love" as opposed to "Godly love". What is "Godly love" and what is "wordly love."
Describe each.
It's a simple question.
Do you have a pet or a child? That is worldly love if it is not done in God. Yes God is love but there are cheap copies of His love. Satan knows worldly love but has no Godly love. Any love done without God is selfish love because God wants you to share His love. I am really trying here, but there is a difference.

Look at the question Jesus asked Peter 3 times, "Do you love Me?" and each time Peters responce was more like "I like you alot" Jesus knew his heart and wanted his love not his like being called love.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Do you have a pet or a child? That is worldly love if it is not done in God. Yes God is love but there are cheap copies of His love. Satan knows worldly love but has no Godly love. Any love done without God is selfish love because God wants you to share His love. I am really trying here, but there is a difference.

Look at the question Jesus asked Peter 3 times, "Do you love Me?" and each time Peters responce was more like "I like you alot" Jesus knew his heart and wanted his love not his like being called love.
Here you go Robin....
1 Cor. 13:4-8
4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, and it is not proud.
5 Love is not rude, is not selfish, and does not get upset with others. Love does not count up wrongs that have been done.
6 Love takes no pleasure in evil but rejoices over the truth.
7 Love patiently accepts all things. It always trusts, always hopes, and always endures.
8 Love never ends.

Worldly love is opposite and lacks the above....

Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:

Robin......you know I love you. Moderator cut: edit...... Love is love, and it comes from God. All of it. If it wasn't for God none of us would even be here to experience HIS love....it all belongs to Him. You need to sit back and contemplate why it is that you can't see this.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-07-2011 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Restricting your knowledge to the Bible (a compilation of writings from 4000 +years ago to no more recent than 2000 years ago) is the most asinine position one could possibly take toward life. Stagnating in ancient ignorance is no way to live. You may feel more ignorant than our primitive ancestors (and I would not dispute it) . . . but we know so much more about ourselves and our world that to make such a claim is preposterous on its face.

You have no basis in fact for making such ridiculous claims. Shame on you, Robin. Perhaps you are confused between lust and love . . . but I doubt June is. They have nothing to do with each other. Lust is lust and love is love. Can they exist simultaneously . . . of course . . . but there is no confusing them.

Insisting that your knowledge is found on some inner sourse is the most asinine position one could possibly take. You may feel more enlightened than our ancestors ....but we know so much more about ancestors and their world that to make such a claim is preposterous on its face.

You have no basis in fact for making such ridiculous claims. Shame on you, Mystic.

Last edited by twin.spin; 01-07-2011 at 09:21 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Here you go Robin....
1 Cor. 13:4-8
4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, and it is not proud.
5 Love is not rude, is not selfish, and does not get upset with others. Love does not count up wrongs that have been done.
6 Love takes no pleasure in evil but rejoices over the truth.
7 Love patiently accepts all things. It always trusts, always hopes, and always endures.
8 Love never ends.

Worldly love is opposite and lacks the above....
Thank you my friend, this hits the target dead center. And the rest of the chapter sums it all up.

Last edited by RobinD69; 01-07-2011 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity