U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,222,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Socioeconomic differences.
yes and I'm also thinking it has something to do with intellignece levels.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:55 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,749,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
yes and I'm also thinking it has something to do with intellignece levels.
Wait a minute SC122.....don't you live in SC, the heart of the bible belt? Isn't that like saying we're all stupid, your own people? BTW, look at the way you spelled intelligence.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:56 AM

4,812 posts, read 5,440,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
yes and I'm also thinking it has something to do with intelligence levels.
I moved from a large city to a very small town in the South. Kindness is valued here, but intellectual inquiry ... not so much.

I'm sure there are children here who are naturally intelligent, but growing up in an extremely anti-intellectual environment. And I do mean "anti".

This can happen anywhere, but it's a very pervasive force here.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:18 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,749,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I moved from a large city to a very small town in the South. Kindness is valued here, but intellectual inquiry ... not so much.

I'm sure there are children here who are naturally intelligent, but growing up in an extremely anti-intellectual environment. And I do mean "anti".

This can happen anywhere, but it's a very pervasive force here.
Geez, am I the only one who is sticking up for southerners?? So stubbornness and a southern accent equals stupidity? Or poverty? What's wrong with the southerners who badmouth their own kind? I don't understand why you aren't standing proud of a part of the country that was the original states of our founding fathers....what's wrong with you guys?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
1 Cor. 13:4-8

4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, and it is not proud.

5 Love is not rude, is not selfish, and does not get upset with others. Love does not count up wrongs that have been done.

6 Love takes no pleasure in evil but rejoices over the truth.

7 Love patiently accepts all things. It always trusts, always hopes, and always endures.

8 Love never ends.

Worldly love is opposite and lacks the above....
So, how is it that I personally know agnostics and atheists whose love embodies all those attributes? I also personally know Christians who embody none of them?

Curiouser and curiouser.

I don't know June personally, but she certainly has demonstrated patience, kindness and acceptance on this thread - even when she is being told that her love is really only lust. And she hasn't demonstrated jealousy, bragging, pride, rudeness, selfishness, taken pleasure in evil, or been upset with anyone.

How could anyone not objectively see this? When you see an agnostic or atheist tenderly taking care of someone they love, do you tell yourself over and over that it's not "real" love? Or do you just not know very many agnostics or atheists?

NOTE: You lose points if you trot out that tired old saw that if I can name Christians who don't have any of the positive traits of love, that they are not "real" Christians.

Among my friends and family are Christians and agnostics. I've never been able to discern the slightest difference in the way they love.

Where is this magnificent love that only Christians can feel? You'd think it would be an obvious thing.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Geez, am I the only one who is sticking up for southerners?? So stubbornness and a southern accent equals stupidity? Or poverty? What's wrong with the southerners who badmouth their own kind? I don't understand why you aren't standing proud of a part of the country that was the original states of our founding fathers....what's wrong with you guys?

Wright,

I am not going to portray the place I live in, in a false way just to make someone feel better.

You missed the part where I said I am now living in a VERY small town. To add to that, it's in the mountains. And it's in a part of the mountains that was isolated far longer than other places in the mountains (like Asheville).

Poverty IS higher in my area. That is a simple statistic that anyone with a computer can look up. 40% to 50% of the school children are eligible for free school lunches here.

That is poverty.

"Stupidity" is not a word I'd use. A person can be far from stupid, but they can be uninformed due to lack of education, curiosity, and even their surrounding culture.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 AM

Wright,

Also, the greatest loves of my life were my grandparents, and they were from Virginia. They were moderately religious, but never attended a church where the minister shouted. They were used to ministers who attended seminary.

The OP said she attended a couple of churches in Tennessee.

I live in the mountains of Georgia and very few pastors here ever went to a seminary or college. Here, you just start calling yourself a preacher and most of the local congregations don't expect anything different.

There is more than one "South".

Old 01-08-2011, 03:16 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,041,829 times
Quote:
Where is this magnificent love that only Christians can feel? You'd think it would be an obvious thing.
Good question, I've been asking myself the same question for some time now when I read post in this CHRISTIANITY forum..... funny thing though the one's whom shout the loudest about such love, God's love are the very one's who seem to lack it the most toward other's and yet justify their very own actions and words..... go figure !!

Old 01-08-2011, 03:56 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,222,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Wait a minute SC122.....don't you live in SC, the heart of the bible belt? Isn't that like saying we're all stupid, your own people? BTW, look at the way you spelled intelligence.
no,I don't live in sc.and it was a typo,not a misspelling.
but you're right,I do live in the south.and I'm not saying everyone here has an intelligence problem;just those who would act the way june encountered during her visit here.certainly the pastor should have been smart enough to make her feel welcome,and he shouldn't have been so offputting to her.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,244,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think the real question is why has others changed over time. The bible belt as its called really hasn't changed that much.I would say that the tradtitions and culture has changed more in other areas than the bible belt also.Same story has in times past like the 20's really.
I think that's a tad deceptive. I don't think the idea of "The Rapture" was as big in the Bible Belt when my Dad was a boy. The charismatic and Pentecostal movements in the "Bible Belt" have, to some degree at least, grown since the 1950s. There's also been the development of "mega-churches" and the Southern Baptists are far more politically involved than they were in the 1950s. Also there's been a growth in non-Protestant Christianity in "The Bible Belt" due to conversion and Hispanic immigration.

There's been a good deal of change it's just not like the change that happened elsewhere. In much of the country religion grew more ecumenical and in some cases more modernistic. In the case of highly conservative religion outside the "Bible Belt" it maybe grew or remained inward. (I don't know if it's precisely fair to call say Lutheran-Church-Missouri-Synod "inward" but I don't think they publicize or get activist in quite the way "Bible Belt denominations" do.) In "The Bible Belt" religion, to some extent, grew more emotional and politically active. I don't think I'd say it grew more conservative precisely, Evangelicals in the 1950s were maybe more against dancing and watching movies than they are now, but it did maintain some conservatism and the leadership councils grew more conservative on some issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity