U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,567,063 times

Advertisements

I think it is best explained by the poem: The Blind Men and the Elephant...
The Blind Men and the Elephant

Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM

37,472 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes, that was a conundrum for me. One of many that helped to remove the veil of Christianity from my eyes.
I suspect you meant the veil of Churchianity.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM

351 posts, read 283,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
In my experience, many people who profess to be Christian do not like God as He is revealed to us in His Holy word. There are many reasons for this but the primary one is probably the most serious sin of them all. The pride of Man. True Christainity is not based on logic or reason at all but on "Faith alone in Christ alone". Everything we know about God and His plans for us and for this world is revealed in the bible and we are givin understanding of this book by the Holy spirit. Now the pride of Man comes into it in this way. If a man does not like what the Word plainly says then he will look for some obsecure text, take it out of context and claim that THAT is the truth of the matter. Another common thing that I have observed is that this pride of Man really causes trouble if there are things of God that are not understandable to the man. "I can't understand it so it must not be true", or the God of my understanding can't possibly be like that so I'll create a God that I can understand.
Can you understand a being that created the uniserse out of nothing by a word? A being that is all powerful all knowing, exists everywhere and at the same time has an intimate relationship with all His own children????
Lot of truth in there lucknow Man's pride and wanting to be important in the scheme of things has been a major stumbling block to many who seek God.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,443,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Pride of man rather than love of Christ... Many Pastors like their paychecks more than their congregation and they have to pretend to be as smart or smarter than God to make those big paychecks and often they must pervert the truth to be more appealing to the world. Many think their knowledge will save them and these are the fools Jesus warns us about.
Robin- June is not clear whether your post is addressing the pastors/ministers in the north (demographically) or the south. June can honestly say that despite how "different" it was for her to listen to this pastor personally, that she honestly came away with the sense that he was not doing what he does for a mere paycheck alone, at all! --Any more than her two minister friends up here in the north are! (That's for sure, as they don't make a whole lot of money pastoring...) June also came away with the sense that none of the (very few) pastors she has met, spoken to, or known are arrogant or inauthentic in what they perceive as their knowledge of God, or feel "falsely" saved....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin69
You are very studious and very knowledgeable of the Bible and your knowledge is what keeps you from Christ, and I pray the Lord will open your eyes to the truth so you can answer your own questions.

I hope this helps but it is all I could think to share as we have shared much in the past.
...And June both appreciates the compliment that you feel she is knowledgeable about the bible, and your sentiments, as expressed. June thanks you. Truly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I suspect it may be best if I just read this one and not take an active part.
Oh, give June a break! June suspects that it would be helpful to hear your thoughts, otherwise she wouldn't have posted. (And June rarely puts up threads.) --Just keep 'em within what they need to be in order for June not to have to "edit."

Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I think it is best explained by the poem: The Blind Men and the Elephant...
The Blind Men and the Elephant
....Gotta say, thus far, the above (poem) seems to make the most sense to June in the overall, bottom analysis...

It's got to be a "cultural" and demographic thing, in June's mind, yet this doesn't bode well with the overall meaning, message, and intent of "Christianity." How in the world can two northern ministers possibly accept (let alone befriend "just June") when all the while just as "biblically astute" as any bible belt minister, and yet, there exist such a vast difference in terms of receptivity (to a nonbeliever) let alone the variance in delivery....

(Maybe June just needs to travel more...Although she is hardly the non-sophisticated type....)

Take gentle "still confused" care....

Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,224,950 times
As an atheist residing in the Bible Belt, from my experience, the discrepancies are basically dealt with by believing to some degree or another that "I'm right and everyone else is wrong." Even if they are almost right but not quite, they are still wrong. That's the attitude I come across the most. Not to say people are always rude about it, but many religious folks quite honestly pity those who haven't been exposed to "the Truth" yet.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 PM

2,657 posts, read 3,198,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
My sympathies.
Now, how should one react to this? A great job of divisive continuity.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I suspect you meant the veil of Churchianity.
"Just June" hasn't exactly been to too many church services. We nonbelievers don't exactly tend to do such things. However, on a few ocassions "just June" just found herself attending a church service or two. (It was exactly two!) What she can't get over is the difference....Is there a "church culture" between what is done/believed in demographically, and therefore, how it is delivered, conveyed? "Just June" couldn't help but note the vast difference between the "delivery system" by which she experienced the service in the south....

It was at times authentic in terms of what the pastor was saying, and yet, there were aspects that so bespoke a different type of message...NOT a different message, per se (in terms of what June understands of Christianity) but the both the manner and literacy of what was conveyed....

(Does that make any sense?)

Maybe atheists should not travel to the south...

Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 PM

4,610 posts, read 3,958,690 times
June, I think most of the Christians in the Bible Belt are protestants.

Protestants are encouraged to read the Bible. Each person finds passages that make sense to them, but not every person likes the same passage.

Therefor, each person forms their own idea of what Christianity means to them.

Personally, I think that is how religion should be.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
As an atheist residing in the Bible Belt, from my experience, the discrepancies are basically dealt with by believing to some degree or another that "I'm right and everyone else is wrong." Even if they are almost right but not quite, they are still wrong. That's the attitude I come across the most. Not to say people are always rude about it, but many religious folks quite honestly pity those who haven't been exposed to "the Truth" yet.
June would agree with the above, only in as much as the pastor had no "openness" to the few questions that June asked. It was made very clear to her that she was either "with" or "outside of." --Which, for someone who is open minded enough to simply ask questions and wish to understand a particular mindset can be a tad difficult. June thinks, (but is not altogether certain) that she was told (in a very politically correct and nice way) that she was going to hell. Period. (Which didn't surprise her, but just sort of surprised her!)

Again, perhaps June shouldn't travel outside of New England....Or if she does, she shouldn't ask questions?

Take gentle "it's gotta be demographics" care.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 PM

2,657 posts, read 3,198,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
"Just June" hasn't exactly been to too many church services. We nonbelievers don't exactly tend to do such things. However, on a few ocassions "just June" just found herself attending a church service or two. (It was exactly two!) What she can't get over is the difference....Is there a "church culture" between what is done/believed in demographically, and therefore, how it is delivered, conveyed? "Just June" couldn't help but note the vast difference between the "delivery system" by which she experienced the service in the south....

It was at times authentic in terms of what the pastor was saying, and yet, there were aspects that so bespoke a different type of message...NOT a different message, per se (in terms of what June understands of Christianity) but the both the manner and literacy of what was conveyed....

(Does that make any sense?)

Maybe atheists should not travel to the south...
Or maybe atheists should not attend church services? There are many atheists in the south, and many more of us who are not religious. There are also many aspects to living in the south that are favorable to me, and are not religious in nature. It seems to me that June, as well as others, use a broad brush to paint what they (sometimes admittedly) do not understand. Biggest question to a non-believer from a skeptic is, "Who cares what they do, or what differences religious people have between them"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity