U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 AM

11,822 posts, read 9,810,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You will get no argument from me about this.But I marvel at the irony that you would completely miss the difference between your focus on the words "written in ink" (Scriptures) "because you think that by them you possess eternal life." And my focus on the LIVING Word of God Jesus Christ who abides with us and His Holy Spirit within our consciousness guiding me to what God has "written in my heart." Do you not see the irony?
If you agree to be civil...I will answer.

The irony for me is that
  • Jesus continually referred to the written word never claimed them to be in error.
  • The Apostles claimed that what they were writing was also scripture.
  • The last surviving Apostle was told to write down these words for they are true (Rev)
  • Jesus guarantees that scripture will stay with us
The irony for me is the opinion of your irony of the Bible.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Like.....atheist's?

Psalm 53:1
The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, and their ways are vile...

John 5:39
You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life.....yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
Using verse to send the message of hatred, how very christian of you, nor do I say that sarcastically, but sincerely how very christian of you, for it is the way of those taught hatred through christianity. It is so much a part of the christian mindset you are incapable of even recognizing your own fault of hatred.

It is a frequent reminder of the ingrained value of hatred seen here in the bible belt. I know a number of people that believe and treat their wives as inferior beings, and I associate with them as little as possible, as while believing themselves superior to woman, are indeed inferior as humans.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:27 AM

26,248 posts, read 13,915,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The primitive drum beat of the stone age is alive and well, at least in the minds of some.
I was merely lining up what she said with what scripture says...Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 01-08-2011 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
you are not going to get very many flies with that^ vinegar.
Scripture says what it says...there again, people want to make God in their own image rather than allowing themselves to grow into god's image...they do not want to accept things in the bible that do not agree with their lifestyle so they proceed to create a god more suitable to them and call it Christianity...It is the way it is and it says what it says...It is not vinegar but what is in scripture...for pete's sake grow up and accept responibility...

Old 01-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
you are not going to get very many flies with that^ vinegar.
I am not trying to draw flies...flies are drawn by garbage and decaying carcasses...read up on what it is that actually draws flies...and vinegar is hard to swallow but read up on the health benefits of that too...

Old 01-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It doesn't take much to figure out you have no desire for the truth, Isaiah 64:6 . Even your higher evolved understanding theory which you believe occurred can't hide that.

You may feel more enlightened than our ancestors ....but we know so much more about our ancestors and their world that to make such a claim is preposterous on its face.

You have no basis in fact for making such ridiculous claims.
Heh-heh

Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM

37,480 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Scripture says what it says...there again, people want to make God in their own image rather than allowing themselves to grow into god's image...they do not want to accept things in the bible that do not agree with their lifestyle so they proceed to create a god more suitable to them and call it Christianity...It is the way it is and it says what it says...It is not vinegar but what is in scripture...for pete's sake grow up and accept responibility...
The growing up needs to be done by those who blindly and unquestioningly follow as the absolute unalterable truth the beliefs and interpretations of "spiritual and cultural infants" . . . who could barely assimilate the "milk" of the early "training wheel" teachings. Essentially writing off the accumulated knowledge of 2000+ years of human intellectual and spiritual development to retain and praise the ancient ignorance of our ancestors as a sign of faith in the only valid truth . . . strikes me as perverse and insane . . . not merely juvenile and spiritually immature.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
The UNAMBIGUOUS example and teachings of Jesus Christ. Only ignorant savages could so completely miss the point of His life, death and message!!!
Wow, you mean Jesus was actually running around in the OT days???...So, god let all the Christians for the last 2000 years believe a lie?...Do you mean that the Christians closest to Christ misunderstood Him, but 2000 years later, our MODERN society understands better than they did???...WOW!!!...Maybe it is our MODERN misunderstanding of what they actually meant...

Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You will get no argument from me about this.But I marvel at the irony that you would completely miss the difference between your focus on the words "written in ink" (Scriptures) "because you think that by them you possess eternal life." And my focus on the LIVING Word of God Jesus Christ who abides with us and His Holy Spirit within our consciousness guiding me to what God has "written in my heart." Do you not see the irony?
Christ was refrencing the OT...Which spoke of Him....

Old 01-08-2011, 11:58 AM

2,933 posts, read 2,249,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Wow, you mean Jesus was actually running around in the OT days???...So, god let all the Christians for the last 2000 years believe a lie?...Do you mean that the Christians closest to Christ misunderstood Him, but 2000 years later, our MODERN society understands better than they did???...WOW!!!...Maybe it is our MODERN misunderstanding of what they actually meant...
the suppression of biblical books such as the teachings of Mary of Magdalene, whom Jesus reportedly loved in a special way, has paved the way for today's full fledge chauvisnism. it's sick! i want nothing to do with this God in particular that you admire...i've got a better one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity