Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So, you are saying that the OT is trash?...
No . . . I am saying it has a different purpose from the Good News of Jesus. It prophesies of His coming, provides the validating prophesies, describes our ancestors' difficulties learning and following the "training wheel laws" designed to begin us on our way to knowledge of God and the need for self-control of our negative human emotions. But it is under the veil of ignorance of our primitive ancestors' superstitions and fallacious beliefs about God that Jesus came to lift and correct. Used properly it is USEFUL . . . used improperly it is corrupting of our understanding of God.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:30 PM

8,173 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No . . . I am saying it has a different purpose from the Good News of Jesus. It prophesies of His coming, provides the validating prophesies, describes our ancestors' difficulties learning and following the "training wheel laws" designed to begin us on our way to knowledge of God and the need for self-control of our negative human emotions. But it is under the veil of ignorance of our primitive ancestors' superstitions and fallacious beliefs about God that Jesus came to lift and correct. Used properly it is USEFUL . . . used improperly it is corrupting of our understanding of God.

Exactly!! I wish more people could see this perspective. It really would help clear up a lot of confusion.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Jesus continually socializes with thieves, lepers, prostitutes, and the Gentiles at large.

Anyone clearly read his conversation with the woman drawing water from the well??

He issues a clear break from the rigidity of the OT, and the snooty ways of its offsprings - the high priests and the pharisees. He puts the OT in its place becoz he has the authority to do so.

Much of the problems with Christianity comes out of the OT. However, I love the part where Sodom and Gomorrah get destroyed Just kidding

Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June's not sure what "conclusion" she should come to as this thread has taken more twists and turns than she ever expected. She's wondering if she shouldn't have gone to Paris, instead! --She certainly didn't expect that an atheist's visit to the Bible Belt would result in twenty pages, but she is grateful to all of those who posted a response.
Paris sounds like a more interesting choice to be sure. But on the bright side . . . this thread has brought out the many discrepant views of Christianity and revealed how Jesus Christ, His example and His message of love has all but been removed from Christianity by the "precepts and doctrines of men" and their various agendas. The concern over the removal of Christ from Christmas is minor in comparison.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:50 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
For those of you who say that an Atheist does not have the love Christ in them.
How do you know?
Because if they had, they wouldn't be a "atheist" ..... now would they?

Matthew 7:18
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.

Matthew 12:33
“Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit.

It's all about the tree that makes it (the examples you gave) "good" or "bad" in the sight of God. Jesus said either you're for him or against him.

There is no such thing as a professing atheist christian.

Quote:
What are you judging them by?
By their confession....

Humanistic values that you're endorsing is not what pleases God .... only faith.
"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."
A atheist by definition is opposite of one who ...believe that he exists
Quote:
Do you KNOW if he is Christian, Atheist, Muslim, Catholic, Baptist or anyone who believes differently than you do that only those you THINK have Christs love in them do these things.

It doesn't matter what I BELIEVE ...... it's what they confess.
A Muslim doesn't confess Christ as .....“Jesus is Lord,”
  • A Catholic does
A atheist doesn't confess Christ as .....“Jesus is Lord,”
  • A Baptist does

Old 01-08-2011, 01:54 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
I love Paris! But I'd rather go back to Italy. Or Japan.
Just thought this unclean, unloving, filthy heathen would add her 2 cents!
Love ya, June!
PS - I've spend a lot of time in the Bible Belt. I like the food.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Paris sounds like a more interesting choice to be sure. But on the bright side . . . this thread has brought out the many discrepant views of Christianity and revealed how Jesus Christ, His example and His message of love has all but been removed from Christianity by the "precepts and doctrines of men" and their various agendas. The concern over the removal of Christ from Christmas is minor in comparison.
Paris is dirty

I love the French countryside though. Paris looks a lot like Riyadh, easily The Eiffel tower, Sacre Coeur and Notre Dame save the day.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Paris is dirty

I love the French countryside though. Paris looks a lot like Riyadh, easily The Eiffel tower, Sacre Coeur and Notre Dame save the day.
They make nice bread though

Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
They make nice bread though
And croissants!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM

Yes, nobody can beat the French in food except the South Indians

A fair share of my family settled in Paris and the rest of France in the 70s. I have tripped twice, using a French passport. My hometown was a former French colony, so they pretty much handed out French citizenship to all and sundry when they left in 1964. Both my Dad and mom were born before that and they qualified, and by birth I qualify to become a French citizen too.

But my Dad was a raging nationalist

The funny part is that that displaced population from the 70s is moving away from Paris into the countryside, lately. Their complaint is that the city is getting noxious and unliveable.

I'll visit Paris, but will get the heck out of there in a week I love France. Wish we can get the old Paris back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity