U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,287,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It will be by those words that will either save or condemn the skeptic.

John 12:48
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.
Or not, as you clearly fail to realize that for an atheist, your sources are not only skeptic, but are recognized as just a fable. It carries no more sway than say perhaps Aesop's Fables.

Mere words of men long dead hold only the power given by the reader.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:25 PM

37,616 posts, read 25,318,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Understanding that Book not idolizing it is what the Holy Spirit quides us to do to have a clearer understanding of God thru Jesus Christ. The evil one want us to disregaurd the lessons of Gods word. You have absolutly no understanding of the OT just as the Westboro morons have no understanding of God. I have tried to shine some light into the casim of hate that so blinds you to the truth ah but it is better to walk away than to cast pearls before swine, and no I am not calling you a pig, its a metapor.

The emboldend is precisely what I asked you to read, have you or are those words to primative for you as well?
My dear brother Robin . . . I have no doubt whatsoever about the sincerity of your intentions in this and other discussions . . . but what you see as "pearls" . . . I see as "pig slop." I have told you repeatedly that I have read what you have asked countless times . . . long before you asked . . . but what I take away from it is NOT what you do. I suggest that you start a thread specifically to do a study on ONLY the "red" passages you keep posting about and what YOU think they mean. I will join it and we can face off about each of them instead of constantly jousting over our unexpressed different interpretations. In Peace and Christ's love,
Mystic

Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,725,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June would agree with the above, only in as much as the pastor had no "openness" to the few questions that June asked. It was made very clear to her that she was either "with" or "outside of." --Which, for someone who is open minded enough to simply ask questions and wish to understand a particular mindset can be a tad difficult. June thinks, (but is not altogether certain) that she was told (in a very politically correct and nice way) that she was going to hell. Period. (Which didn't surprise her, but just sort of surprised her!)

Again, perhaps June shouldn't travel outside of New England....Or if she does, she shouldn't ask questions?

Take gentle "it's gotta be demographics" care.
Interesting, my friends, the priests don't make that distinction, they believe that anyone who believes that jesus (yeah, they get on me, in a good humored way, about the lack of a capitol J.) was the son of a living god (and a capital G) crucified, dead, and buried, rose again and ascended into heaven (by which ever vehicle seems most appropriate to each sect) is a christian, they may err in their beliefs, but they are all still christians. Usually, at this point they politely ask me not to pull out my "brainwashed" scenario and remind me that they are, Yup, they really are, pretty low key about their beliefs. Actually, in college, I had a former Jesuit for a prof. in the "Bible as Literature" course, a pre-req for Philosophy majors, this guy did not read the bible to us, he recited it, word for word. Genesis to Revelations. Dang, it just dawned on me that I do not always not capitalize the first letter of a diety, sometimes I forget and write "Thor". My favorite was always Minerva. I always did have this thing for foxy intelligent women!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:24 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,463,452 times
--Something's tellling June that she shouldn't have visited the Bible Belt, but that in the event she did, she should not have posted her question about it....

Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,287,463 times
Quote:
--Something's tellling June that she shouldn't have visited the Bible Belt, but that in the event she did, she should not have posted her question about it....

No different than visiting a foreign country, you just don't have to go through customs. Experiencing the different cultures broadens one horizons.

I found my visit to Istanbul Turkey to be one such jolt with the call to prayers from the minarets 5 times a day.

I posted earlier that I know people that have never been more than 50 miles from their place of birth, but I'm not one of them. Different experiences broadens one horizons and opens the mind to all sorts of possibilities.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 AM

4,836 posts, read 5,466,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I am not accusing anyone of anything, I am just sharing the truth which apparently many cannot handle.
We can handle it. We simply utterly reject your false characterization of our ability to love.

In one of your posts, you complained about people judging you without even knowing you. It doesn't feel good, does it? But that's exactly what you are doing when you say that anyone who is not in the Christian religion does not really love.

You said our love is only lust.

I certainly know the love that exists in my (agnostic) heart and I find your uninformed opinion an insult. After all, you are judging me and all agnostics/atheists without knowing us.

I know when I give to the food bank and rescue stray animals, it's out of love and empathy. I know how upset I get when people are suffering. I know that when my family or friends have needs or are suffering, and I help to fulfill those needs or stop their suffering, it is out of love. It's because I care.

Robin, your opinion that I don't feel love is insulting, but it's ultimately meaningless.

BTW, wasn't the Good Samaritan considered to be the "wrong religion"? Yet he was held up as an example of love and empathy. The priest and the Levite ignored their fellow Jew who'd been beaten, robbed, and left for dead. The Samaritan was the only one who helped him.

Ah, it was probably only lust.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 811 times
Man continues to try and define that which is undefinable. To put words to that which is indescribable. For me, I have known His Love all my life. Yet, I have not the words... I am happy that I could clear this up for you (kidding of course!)

Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,209,661 times
Quote:

I agree with Asheville above. Visiting is a good thing. But one visit is not nearly enough to have enough of an idea about a culture or people to make assumptions about them. And I think that perhaps, the visit to a religious institution probably was more of the problem. We are far more diverse than you think. We have the same types of people that you find anywhere. What we see more often than not is someone who has preconceived notions about a place visiting, and using the beliefs that they already possess to color any interactions that they have with people. My advice is to visit more often, and try to be more open minded about us. It's a beautiful part of the country and we are really very nice!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,227,695 times
June,I am only joking about the Labor day comment...just trying to lighten things up. next time try a UU church here;I hope you weren't scared off permanently.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,692,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Because if they had, they wouldn't be a "atheist" ..... now would they?

The label is irrelevant when it comes to what is real in someones heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity