U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 PM

5,766 posts, read 4,613,814 times

Advertisements

Tried to rep ya, but I'm outta reps for you, shooting stars.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM

8,338 posts, read 10,122,982 times
As a Bible teacher and preacher of many years, in different places, among varied audiences ... I have found a solid, foundational commonality among true Christians' whose lives have been changed by the power of God. By 'true Christians,' I am referring to those who have vested their faith, hearts and lives in Jesus Christ and have been reborn in the Holy Spirit. (The latter has nothing to do with what we do, but everything to do with God's grace and power).

Among folks professing to be Christians, I often find vast differences in beliefs and attitudes towards God. Unfortunately, there are many who simply fail to differentiate between "religion" and a "living relationship with God." In that respect, Christianity is anything, but, "religion."

However, back to your initial question. While there is only ONE way to God (Jesus Christ), people come to Christ from a virtually unlimited range of theological, social, experiential and intellectual directions. God is indeed the same yesterday, today and tomorrow ... but, we are as varied as so many snowflakes. Is it really any wonder that, beyond certain irreducible truths, we tend to perceive God through the eyes of our own 'snowflake'?

--- If you don't mind, I have two entirely unrelated, but honest questions for you. 1). Why does "June" refer to herself in the third person? and 2). If June is an Atheist, how does she happen to be moderating a Christian forum?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,233,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I love how you are able to read the mind of the Good Samaritan and just negate any empathy or love he might have been feeling. Jesus seemed to have a different opinion.

The parable was told as an example of loving your neighbor. And the Samaritan was described as feeling pity for the wounded man. Some translations use the word "compassion" instead of pity.

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

“What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.

So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.

But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”
I've always loved the Good Samaritan story.so many ppl forget that *we are all here to take care of each other* and just get each other thru life,in this fallen state;this temp. separation from God. ..and just as we do as the GS did,God will reward us each for our good works.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,704,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Are you judging me? That is alright, judge away.

I am further from religion than you could ever imagine, I am immersed in His Word and am enjoying what I am seeing. I think I will go to sleep now, oh the Lord is so grand.

Good, then you understand Junes heart from the spirit and not religious words and expectations. Congratulations.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM

4,913 posts, read 5,503,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I've always loved the Good Samaritan story.so many ppl forget that *we are all here to take care of each other* and just get each other thru life,in this fallen state;this temp. separation from God. ..and just as we do as the GS did,God will reward us each for our good works.
And ironically, you can find Christian commentaries all over the internet that say that the story of the Good Samaritan illustrates that sometimes people of faith fail to show love, and outsiders can embody it, contrary to what Robin says.

The Good Samaritan | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

The Good Samaritan Luke 10:25-37 | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

The Greatest Commandment and the Parable of the Good Samaritan

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,918,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Good, then you understand Junes heart from the spirit and not religious words and expectations. Congratulations.
Yes I do and I cannot pity her choices only she can change them.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,704,547 times
Quote:
No I do not pity her choice to accept love into her heart. Thank you for understanding that Jesus in spirit rather than religious title, resides in her heart.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:43 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,233,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
And ironically, you can find Christian commentaries all over the internet that say that the story of the Good Samaritan illustrates that sometimes people of faith fail to show love, and outsiders can embody it, contrary to what Robin says.

The Good Samaritan | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

The Good Samaritan Luke 10:25-37 | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

The Greatest Commandment and the Parable of the Good Samaritan
thanks

Old 01-11-2011, 03:57 PM

4,913 posts, read 5,503,530 times

Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,436,933 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity